Alien: Covenant Early Reactions

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 28, 2017, 11:27:29 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Early Reactions (Read 149,790 times)

Ragonk_Force

Ragonk_Force

Quote from: Predaker on May 05, 2017, 06:47:43 PM
Quote from: cucuchu on May 05, 2017, 06:09:34 PM
Quote from: Ragonk_Force on May 05, 2017, 05:46:45 PM
Quote from: Predaker on May 05, 2017, 02:19:03 PM
This is what I think possibly bothered HuDa and Hicks that contradicts the original film:

Spoiler
When the alien is born, it won't be the classic chestburster but a bambi-burster.
[close]
Is that really a problem though? Its a different incarnation of the creature. It will probably take certain variables to match the big chap as we know it

Exactly. I see no problem with it being different if its not even suppose to be the traditional Xeno. How we arrive at the Xeno from the 1979 Xeno is one of the many stories Sir Ridley seems to be trying to tell with not just this movie but the next one...or two...or three....

One one level it can be viewed as a creative decision to do it differently but then we also have the removal of an iconic feature in the alien life cycle, which could end up being left unexplained. Alien3 did have both with the runner and the queen, though.

Should be interesting to find out what Ridley says about all this during the interview soon!
There has to be some variable that makes the creature born in a different stage of its life. In alien 3, the runner is born as a bambi burster, and when the queen busts out of ripley, its a more traditional chestburster

You can theorize that  a bambi burster is simply ready to be born. A traditional worm like chestburster is pre-mature and is born out of necessity, like about to fall in a lava pit, or go into stasis for an extended period

El Diablo

El Diablo

Quote from: Stanley on May 05, 2017, 06:52:42 PM
Quote from: 900SL on May 05, 2017, 06:40:33 PM
Quote from: Robopadna on May 05, 2017, 06:31:15 PM
I hope we eventually figure out why the multiple star maps left on earth all pointed to a barren planet being used for bio weapon development/testing.

But I don't think anyone but me is interested in that  :laugh:

I think they were a warning. It ties in with the myth of Prometheus, protecting mankind.

But if it WAS a warning, why indicate just the military style outpost and not the Home Planet?

Maybe that outpost was originally meant as a meeting point so as not to reveal the location of their homeworld, which may have been a cautious move depending on how advanced or aggressive mankind had become. It's also possible that it became a weapon installation after they changed their mind about us. The Engineers were practically wiped out by their own weapon before they had the chance to wipe us out. They probably didn't intend for us to find them at that point since humankind was supposed to have been annihilated by then.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: Ragonk_Force on May 05, 2017, 06:53:22 PM
This is what I think possibly bothered HuDa and Hicks that contradicts the original film:

Spoiler
When the alien is born, it won't be the classic chestburster but a bambi-burster.
[close]
Is that really a problem though? Its a different incarnation of the creature. It will probably take certain variables to match the big chap as we know it

Exactly. I see no problem with it being different if its not even suppose to be the traditional Xeno. How we arrive at the Xeno from the 1979 Xeno is one of the many stories Sir Ridley seems to be trying to tell with not just this movie but the next one...or two...or three....

One one level it can be viewed as a creative decision to do it differently but then we also have the removal of an iconic feature in the alien life cycle, which could end up being left unexplained. Alien3 did have both with the runner and the queen, though.

Should be interesting to find out what Ridley says about all this during the interview soon!
There has to be some variable that makes the creature born in a different stage of its life. In alien 3, the runner is born as a bambi burster, and when the queen busts out of ripley, its a more traditional chestburster

You can theorize that  a bambi burster is simply ready to be born. A traditional worm like chestburster is pre-mature and is born out of necessity, like about to fall in a lava pit, or go into stasis for an extended period

I have had that theory too, interestingly the reverse can be true as well, that the bambi burster was as developed as it was as it couldn't break out of the ox's chest when it should have, it would explain the ox's death too as it would have been killed from internal damage. Of course, I think theatrical cut is considered the canon version so it would be a dog it came out of.

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

Got my ticket sorted and really looking forward to this. After the disappointment that was Prometheus (imo), Thursday 11th May 8:30pm can't come soon enough.  ;D

MajorB

MajorB

Spoiler
The Deacon at the end of Prometheus comes out almost adult, so not only does a bambi-burster have precedence but it shows that we are getting much closer to the traditional chestburster in these prequels.
[close]

900SL

900SL

Quote from: Stanley on May 05, 2017, 06:52:42 PM
Quote from: 900SL on May 05, 2017, 06:40:33 PM
Quote from: Robopadna on May 05, 2017, 06:31:15 PM
I hope we eventually figure out why the multiple star maps left on earth all pointed to a barren planet being used for bio weapon development/testing.

But I don't think anyone but me is interested in that  :laugh:

I think they were a warning. It ties in with the myth of Prometheus, protecting mankind.

But if it WAS a warning, why indicate just the military style outpost and not the Home Planet?

Well, if we can skip the plot holes in respect of a cave painting representing a star system, that said cave paintings were 50,000 years old or more, which doesn't really tie in with a 2000 year old facility etc etc  I guess it was 'the Elder' (and not their lackeys the Engineers) trying to warn humanity that this is the source of all evil.

Trying to weave the logical, chronological and technical implausibilities in Prom is a headache. I just try to do the best I can :D

The Cruentus

Quote from: MajorB on May 05, 2017, 07:07:18 PM
Spoiler
The Deacon at the end of Prometheus comes out almost adult, so not only does a bambi-burster have precedence but it shows that we are getting much closer to the traditional chestburster in these prequels.
[close]

The Deacon is a different creature, but like with the ox, I think it just couldn't break out of the Engineer until it was strong enough.

El Diablo

El Diablo

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 05, 2017, 07:09:41 PM
Quote from: MajorB on May 05, 2017, 07:07:18 PM
Spoiler
[close]

The Deacon is a different creature, but like with the ox, I think it just couldn't break out of the Engineer until it was strong enough.

In the recent COVENANT: IN UTERO VR experience we see POV of the infant Neomorph developing fingers right before birth/eruption. Maybe in the early stages certain aliens can develop limbs to assist in breaking free of the "womb."

MrRipley

MrRipley

Brand New TV Spot lots of new footage.

MrRipley

MrRipley

This one too.

Corporal Hicks

Plenty of new footage on that Panic ad! I think we've seen the other one before, though. Thanks.  :)

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

Should I watch Alien one last time before my perceptions are changed forever after watching Covenant?

Predaker

Predaker

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 05, 2017, 07:01:49 PM
Quote from: Ragonk_Force on May 05, 2017, 06:53:22 PM

Spoiler
[close]

I have had that theory too, interestingly the reverse can be true as well, that the bambi burster was as developed as it was as it couldn't break out of the ox's chest when it should have, it would explain the ox's death too as it would have been killed from internal damage. Of course, I think theatrical cut is considered the canon version so it would be a dog it came out of.

The queen died with Ripley and ox theory only explains the ox, though.

This seems more like a creative decision to do something different. Perhaps when the aliens are outside of anyone's control in the sequel and gain their biomechanical aesthetic (according to Ridley and co.) this could also explain the shift from bambi-burster to classic chestburster.

NickisSmart

Quote from: TheBATMAN on May 05, 2017, 09:24:46 PM
Should I watch Alien one last time before my perceptions are changed forever after watching Covenant?

Will they be? I don't understand this mode of thinking...

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

Quote from: TheBATMAN on May 05, 2017, 09:24:46 PM

Did the AvP films change your opinion of the original?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed