Alien: Covenant Early Reactions

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 28, 2017, 11:27:29 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Early Reactions (Read 149,460 times)

The Cruentus

Quote from: Adorianu on May 05, 2017, 01:17:18 PM
Quote from: The Cruentus on May 05, 2017, 11:14:57 AM
Quote from: Darth Vile on May 05, 2017, 08:48:01 AM
Quote from: gantarat on May 05, 2017, 08:37:42 AM
Hope David It's not Alien Creator,I mean Crazy Robot made Most dangerous alien creature in the universe ?

That very horrible than retcon hicks alive and contradict first movie that Derelict ship on lv-426 was crash long time ago.
Like it or nor (and I'm not a fan of retconning), it doesn't actually contradict anything in Alien. Clearly the initial conceit of the filmmakers was that the SJ was long dead, but anything else is really just an assumption (even if implied), in terms of how long the derelict had been there, whether it was actually fossilised or not etc.

That depends, Xeno are depicted as ancient in different sources, even the AVP film which is or was canon showed that Xenos existed in ancient times, thus David cannot be the creator, I really hope he is not but after reading just a fraction of the comments here that seem to indicate disatifaction from the more serious fans, I am worried.

Don't want spoilers but I really want to be reassured that this isn't true much more than I don't want spoilers  :laugh:

My theory is that David just replicated what the Engineers already created rather than outright creating them himself.

Those AvP shitty abominations are not canon.

Says you, while they may or may not have been retconned now (status unclear) and I agree they were abominations, they were canon.

Quote from: Robopadna on May 05, 2017, 01:18:15 PM
Quote from: The Cruentus on May 05, 2017, 01:07:37 PM

I strongly agree that Fox doesn't care hence why they never clarified the old eu but they do have more authority than Ridley...and as I said, unfortunately, though in this case, I would not agree with Ridley contradicting Alien (if covenant actually does of course)

The Devs were the ones that were mostly kept telling everyone CM was canon, Fox probably did too but the extreme negative reaction made them back off. Fox is both non caring and fickle, whatever allows them to continue milking the franchise.

I would also hope Ridley does not directly contradict Alien (because how hard is it to keep the first story consistent).

The devs told everyone Fox considered it canon because, well, fox did.  Until, like you said, they didn't. 

You perfectly summed it up as they care as far as doing so helps them make money.  If contradicting something helps them make a more accessible or marketable product, they will contradict anything.  So, essentially, nothing is honestly canon to them.  Which leaves Ridley and he has shown a lot of disdain for everything outside of the first two films and is probably not aware that the comics even exist.

He will probably keep roughly consistent with Alien but even then he has played fast and loose with the identity of the SJ (size differences are silly) but he clearly has decided it was always an engineer.  I think everything else, including Aliens and Prometheus, is entirely malleable.

I know Ridley doesn't like AVP, not sure what he thinks of the current comics/books and Isolation game...if he as you said, was even aware of it.

The Size differences regarding SJ has a few theories, one is that like humans and any animal really, that size simply varies among individuals, the other (which I find interesting) is that the Engineers are just emulating the SJs. Sjs being to them what Engineers are to us.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Cheeseburgers on May 05, 2017, 01:30:03 PM
When is the q&a with Scott?

Tomorrow.  :)

Also folk, please don't make me ask again. Be respectful. It's getting boring.

SyntaX

SyntaX

I would also hope Ridley does not directly contradict Alien (because how hard is it to keep the first story consistent).

He already did, in a way, with Prometheus.

The origin of the Xenomorph was a mystery during the Alien movies. We (well, I did) assumed the Engineer crafted the Facehuggers so they could find a suitable host when feeling endangered. When Kane got one attached to his face onboard the Derelict, we assumed the eggs had been placed there by the Engineer (Space Jockey) himself as some sort of weapon. The sole purpose of a Facehugger is to find a host and grow into the Xenomorph. Mind you, the Facehugger + host DNA = Xenomorph, but not the one's we see in Alien/Aliens. The Xenomorph in Alien 3 was different (depending on which cut - Facehugger Queen anyone?) and originated from a Rottweiler/Ox. Although it had the same skeleton, it was slightly different to the ones we had in Alien/Aliens. The unlucky Engineer who got hugged by the Trilobite had a different outcome. We got the Daecon.

Daecon = Engineer + Trilobite (thanks Hicks, forgot the name)
Xenomorph = Human (by Facehugger)
Predalien = Facehugger + Predator

It all depends on what type of creature attaches itself to the host.

We can add another variant after Alien Covenant  ;)

Cheeseburgers

Cheeseburgers

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 05, 2017, 01:38:10 PM

Also folk, please don't make me ask again. Be respectful. It's getting boring.
Great. Very interested to see what he will divulge.

gantarat

gantarat

Fox care canon and continuty. Fox will not release Weyland-Yutani Report  and let Alien 5 happen if they don't care

PS. AvP 1-2 Its not canon (Aliens: CM too)

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: SyntaX on May 05, 2017, 01:38:42 PM

He already did, in a way, with Prometheus.

The origin of the Xenomorph was a mystery during the Alien movies. We (well, I did) assumed the Engineer crafted the Facehuggers so they could find a suitable host when feeling endangered. When Kane got one attached to his face onboard the Derelict, we assumed the eggs had been placed there by the Engineer (Space Jockey) himself as some sort of weapon. The sole purpose of a Facehugger is to find a host and grow into the Xenomorph. Mind you, the Facehugger + host DNA = Xenomorph, but not the one's we see in Alien/Aliens. The Xenomorph in Alien 3 was different (depending on which cut - Facehugger Queen anyone?) and originated from a Rottweiler/Ox. Although it had the same skeleton, it was slightly different to the ones we had in Alien/Aliens. The unlucky Engineer who got hugged by the Trilobite had a different outcome. We got the Daecon.

Drones = human
Predalien = Predator
Runner = Ox/Dog
Ultramorph = Engineer (comic version not canon but given the same dna, it would just be a large version of a Drone)

All the above comes under Xenomorph, neither one is default or a hybrid as trait taking is just their natural characteristic, that said Facehuggers do seem to fit a humanoid head more better and since Engineers want us dead, it is possible that Xenos were created to kill and infect us.

Deacon = Engineer + Trilobyte (which required Infected holloway to impregnate Shaw)

The Deacon and Trilobyte Is a different species altogether, related to Xenomorphs in that they may share the same common source.

Quote from: gantarat on May 05, 2017, 01:45:08 PM
Fox care canon and continuty. Fox will not release Weyland-Yutani Report  and let Alien 5 happen if they don't care

PS. AvP 1-2 Its not canon.

I hear that the W-Y report is no longer going to be considered canon soon. Shame since we really need a source like the WYR that shows us what is canon.

I do hope that is the case since Requiem destroyed the life cycle  :laugh:

Rudiger

Rudiger

Way back when, Scott said that the original derelict was a war ship (a bomber) and that the eggs were a weapon, designed, one would assume, to replace one species with another. Hard to understand the logic in creating something so damn nasty and aggressive, but hey-ho.

I guess if the Alien cocoon sequence had made the final cut, Cameron's idea of a queen would never have been.

The queen was genius in terms of film making (a maguffin that all of the subsequent sequels lacked), but kinda buggered things up continuity wise.

Predaker

Predaker

That wink seems to suggest you're not referring to the neomorph, which could be a clue as to what bothered HuDa and Hicks... or you're just talking about the neomorph, hah  :D

gantarat

gantarat

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 05, 2017, 01:50:59 PM

I hear that the W-Y report is no longer going to be considered canon soon. Shame since we really need a source like the WYR that shows us what is canon.

The book is real in sea of sorrow novel (main character read it)

Evanus

Evanus

Quote from: Predaker on May 05, 2017, 01:54:34 PM

That wink seems to suggest you're not referring to the neomorph, which could be a clue as to what bothered HuDa and Hicks... or you're just talking about the neomorph, hah  :D
The Waltermorph!  :D

The Cruentus

Quote from: Rudiger on May 05, 2017, 01:52:01 PM
Way back when, Scott said that the original derelict was a war ship (a bomber) and that the eggs were a weapon, designed, one would assume, to replace one species with another. Hard to understand the logic in creating something so damn nasty and aggressive, but hey-ho.

I guess if the Alien cocoon sequence had made the final cut, Cameron's idea of a queen would never have been.

The queen was genius in terms of film making (a maguffin that all of the subsequent sequels lacked), but kinda buggered things up continuity wise.

How so? Egg morphing was scrapped content and thus non-canon, so there was nothing to really contradict by having a Queen as the Egg layer. I know some prefer Eggmorphing for its more Alien-ness but its more plausible to have a Queen be the source of the eggs.

But how (on a scale from 1 (bad) to 10) will you rate the movie?

The Cruentus

Quote from: gantarat on May 05, 2017, 01:56:50 PM
Quote from: The Cruentus on May 05, 2017, 01:50:59 PM

The book is real in sea of sorrow novel (main character read it)

:laugh: I must of missed that, in that case a paradox is created unless they write it off as "another" report Decker read or perhaps we are just going to get a newer, more up to date WYR as the canon one.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: 343 on May 05, 2017, 01:59:27 PM

But how (on a scale from 1 (bad) to 10) will you rate the movie?

It's currently sitting around 6/7 mark for me but I'd like to go see it again to digest it better.

Thanks, CH!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed