Alien: Covenant Early Reactions

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 28, 2017, 11:27:29 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Early Reactions (Read 149,450 times)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SyntaX on May 05, 2017, 12:56:40 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 05, 2017, 12:54:23 PM
Neither he or Shaw knew it was capable of infecting anyone in the first place.

David knew it was capable of "infecting" an organism the moment it made what's-his-name sick. Shaw still had no knowledge what happened.

The black goo, yeah, but not the Trilobite though. They didn't know the creature functioned like that.

Robopadna

Robopadna

I would say David had a good idea.  He saw the murals depicting a life cycle, he can read their language (which is everywhere), he purposefully infected Chalie and seemed to know that there would be some evolution/passing on to Shaw.  I would agree that he might not have directly known exactly what would happen but his actions seem to follow a pattern of assumptions.  He probably could not have guessed that the giant tentacle monster would impregnate the engineer but I don't think it would be crazy to assume he had an idea.

Shaw is in the dark because I don't think she has a clue about the sequence of events.  She may think Charlie was infected from the environment somewhow.

All of this being said, it isn't in the canon because David certainly did not call out everything that would happen before it did but I would rather think he had some experimental plan other than do random things and see if people die (including the single individual he is programmed to protect/serve) or live forever.  He is very goal driven.

KillCrites

KillCrites

These reactions are okay with me, I don't expect everyone to love it and I don't expect a masterpiece.

Infected

Infected

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 05, 2017, 12:38:07 PM
Quote from: Infected on May 05, 2017, 12:34:57 PM
So in your opinion Alien 3 is better then Covenant??

It's hard for me to gauge because I know Alien 3 is a mess of a film but I've just always liked it which is why I can never pick a favorite out of the first 3. Objectively, yeah, Covenant is probably a better film. But so is Prometheus.
I like Invasion of the Bodysnatchers (1978) more then i like Star Wars (1977)
I like the AVP movies and Alien:R, but i hate the execution, disturbing ;)

The Cruentus

Quote from: SyntaX on May 05, 2017, 12:53:40 PM
Quote from: Robopadna on May 05, 2017, 12:40:05 PM
Quote from: The Cruentus on May 05, 2017, 12:36:27 PM
Quote from: Robopadna on May 05, 2017, 12:32:04 PM
Quote from: gantarat on May 05, 2017, 12:06:00 PM
The Peter Weyland Files from Prometheus Blu-Ray

Reveal that Peter,David and Weyland's team (except prometheus crew) know about LV-426 Signal before go LV-223

"As fate would have it, Shaw and Holloway's interest in Zeta 2 Reticuli has proven to be mutually beneficial. While the good doctors rely on ancient carvings and primitive cave paintings, my science division's own long range scans have recently detected a faint, almost imperceptible signal emanating from of the lesser moons in that system. And contrary to the findings of shaw and Holloway, which target LV-223 as our primary site of interest, our findings suggest the point of origin could actually be the moon LV-426.

Per standard procedure, we will embed a David 8 unit with the crew. And he will programmed with multiple contingency plans to address and exploit whatever assets we secure on 223. But only David will know about 426 and will ensure that the rest of the crew - including Meredith - learn nothing about the transmission we've recently discovered until the time is right."

also mural on Prometheus movies

While interesting, Ridley will not consider any of that canon with the exception of the deacon, which he included at the end of Prometheus.  The deacon seems to be David's starting point.

The Deacon became the mountain in Fire and stone, which is a canon series.

That's an assumption and, most importantly, Scott could not care less about the comics.  He barely cares what any of the films but Alien has laid out.  Fox will say whatever (they said Colonial Marines was canon until they then said they essentially didn't care).

QuoteDavid has no knowledge of the Deacon.

He saw the mural he knew what was growing in Shaw.  He examined the accelerant.  It is true that he was not literally standing beside it when it emerged, but he can make some inferences to drive his exploration/assumptions.  I am not saying this would ever be literally called out in the movie (David won't have a journal where he longingly writes about the Deacon) but the steps were pretty clearly laid out in Prometheus.

What is canon?  ;)

The movies are the only thing that are canon. I don't see the comic books, toys or whatsoever being part of the lore.
As far as I know, David has no knowledge of the Daecon. He only made sure Shaw's boyfriend got infected which, in turn, infected her. He was intrigued by what would come out of Shaw. The outcome of his experiment.

Again, he has no knowledge what would happen if "Tentacle" infected the Engineer.

While you have the right to believe that as your opinion, Fox's new canon that goes with the movies consists of Fire and Stone, Life and Death, Defiance, Alien Isolation (both game and comic) and possibly the shadow and rage trilogy. At least to my knowledge.  :)

Quote from: Robopadna on May 05, 2017, 12:57:03 PM
Quote from: The Cruentus on May 05, 2017, 12:45:40 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 05, 2017, 12:38:07 PM
Quote from: Infected on May 05, 2017, 12:34:57 PM
So in your opinion Alien 3 is better then Covenant??

It's hard for me to gauge because I know Alien 3 is a mess of a film but I've just always liked it which is why I can never pick a favorite out of the first 3. Objectively, yeah, Covenant is probably a better film. But so is Prometheus.

Alien 3 was not the best but considering it came after a movie that raised the bar high and the infamous production problems Alien 3 had, its surprising that it was as good as it was. Magic egg and sucker punch of the intro deaths aside, the film was good, the tone of the film was all about despair and hopelessnes.
If Alien: Covenant is better (in your opinion of course) than Alien 3, Resurrection and Prometheus, then that it gives me some hope but since we all have different opinons and the fact that those movies were not the highest point in the series, I still won't get my hopes too high.

Quote from: Robopadna on May 05, 2017, 12:40:05 PM
What I am saying is, Fox could not care less either.  They will defer to Ridley to do whatever he wants because they think it will make them money.

Fox stamped A:CM with the canon stamp.  The devs can't force them to do it.  Then they realized they didn't really care and were fine if anyone wanted to contradict it so they rescinded it.  But they absolutely did give it the canon status....   until they decided not to.

As fans we get WAY in the weeds about all of these things because we are, well, huge fans of the series and we spent money/time/effort reading and digesting this material so, on a basic level, we want it to mean something.  The reality is that Fox and Ridley don't care much about it and they have an idea for a new trilogy/series single movie they will blatantly contradict the information provided in viral marketing, novels, appendices and comic books (they most likely are largely unaware of what the content of these are and don't have any inclination to read them).

I strongly agree that Fox doesn't care hence why they never clarified the old eu but they do have more authority than Ridley...and as I said, unfortunately, though in this case, I would not agree with Ridley contradicting Alien (if covenant actually does of course)

The Devs were the ones that were mostly kept telling everyone CM was canon, Fox probably did too but the extreme negative reaction made them back off. Fox is both non caring and fickle, whatever allows them to continue milking the franchise.

SyntaX

SyntaX

Ah, yes.

I didn't read many comics regarding the Xenomorph though. For me, the only thing that is canon are the movies. So I guess it's fine that some things are a little different.

Adorianu

Adorianu

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 05, 2017, 11:14:57 AM
Quote from: Darth Vile on May 05, 2017, 08:48:01 AM
Quote from: gantarat on May 05, 2017, 08:37:42 AM
Hope David It's not Alien Creator,I mean Crazy Robot made Most dangerous alien creature in the universe ?

That very horrible than retcon hicks alive and contradict first movie that Derelict ship on lv-426 was crash long time ago.
Like it or nor (and I'm not a fan of retconning), it doesn't actually contradict anything in Alien. Clearly the initial conceit of the filmmakers was that the SJ was long dead, but anything else is really just an assumption (even if implied), in terms of how long the derelict had been there, whether it was actually fossilised or not etc.

That depends, Xeno are depicted as ancient in different sources, even the AVP film which is or was canon showed that Xenos existed in ancient times, thus David cannot be the creator, I really hope he is not but after reading just a fraction of the comments here that seem to indicate disatifaction from the more serious fans, I am worried.

Don't want spoilers but I really want to be reassured that this isn't true much more than I don't want spoilers  :laugh:

My theory is that David just replicated what the Engineers already created rather than outright creating them himself.

Those AvP shitty abominations are not canon.

Denton Smalls

Quote from: windebieste on May 05, 2017, 10:57:29 AM
So what's the big deal about the delay? 

Is it some kind of test he must pass?   Will he get his pay docked?   Will he - or anyone else who's seen it -  be less privileged for having seen an early showing?   Fox calling the shots is one thing - but come on.  Why shouldn't people be permitted to talk freely about it once they've seen it. 

It's complete bullshit.  Fox want's to keep it a secret - but not a secret for very long.  lol.  Just another bullshit embargo.

-Windebieste.

First, maybe take a breath.

They put a lot of money into marketing this thing and it's completely reasonable that they want to control the dissemination of info on their timetable. People are lucky they get to see test screenings and early showings.

Robopadna

Robopadna

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 05, 2017, 01:07:37 PM

I strongly agree that Fox doesn't care hence why they never clarified the old eu but they do have more authority than Ridley...and as I said, unfortunately, though in this case, I would not agree with Ridley contradicting Alien (if covenant actually does of course)

The Devs were the ones that were mostly kept telling everyone CM was canon, Fox probably did too but the extreme negative reaction made them back off. Fox is both non caring and fickle, whatever allows them to continue milking the franchise.

I would also hope Ridley does not directly contradict Alien (because how hard is it to keep the first story consistent).

The devs told everyone Fox considered it canon because, well, fox did.  Until, like you said, they didn't. 

You perfectly summed it up as they care as far as doing so helps them make money.  If contradicting something helps them make a more accessible or marketable product, they will contradict anything.  So, essentially, nothing is honestly canon to them.  Which leaves Ridley and he has shown a lot of disdain for everything outside of the first two films and is probably not aware that the comics even exist.

He will probably keep roughly consistent with Alien but even then he has played fast and loose with the identity of the SJ (size differences are silly) but he clearly has decided it was always an engineer.  I think everything else, including Aliens and Prometheus, is entirely malleable.

Denton Smalls

Quote from: Robopadna on May 05, 2017, 10:44:20 AM
Quote from: Denton Smalls on May 05, 2017, 10:35:57 AM
Quote from: windebieste on May 05, 2017, 10:31:40 AM
Here's what I don't get.  They invite you into exclusive preview sessions to help drive their hype engine; and then they shackle you with an NDA to prevent you from talking about.

It's complete bullshit. 

-Windebieste.

Dude...the NDA is for a few days. They're literally asking him to hold his review for less than a week, not a month.

And he has.

Shhhh

Robopadna

Robopadna

Quote from: Denton Smalls on May 05, 2017, 01:19:00 PM
Here's what I don't get.  They invite you into exclusive preview sessions to help drive their hype engine; and then they shackle you with an NDA to prevent you from talking about.

It's complete bullshit. 

-Windebieste.

Dude...the NDA is for a few days. They're literally asking him to hold his review for less than a week, not a month.

And he has.

Shhhh

He has kept the NDA.  Stop being obnoxious about it.  If you are that concerned, don't come back into this thread because it will very clearly have spoilers.

windebieste

BRING ON THE SPOILERS!!! 11 !!!

lol.

-Windebieste.

Cheeseburgers

Cheeseburgers

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 05, 2017, 12:57:32 PM
Quote from: SyntaX on May 05, 2017, 12:56:40 PM

David knew it was capable of "infecting" an organism the moment it made what's-his-name sick. Shaw still had no knowledge what happened.

The black goo, yeah, but not the Trilobite though. They didn't know the creature functioned like that.

When is the q&a with Scott?

Denton Smalls

Quote from: Robopadna on May 05, 2017, 01:21:35 PM
Quote from: Denton Smalls on May 05, 2017, 01:19:00 PM

It's complete bullshit. 

-Windebieste.

And he has.

Shhhh

He has kept the NDA.  Stop being obnoxious about it.  If you are that concerned, don't come back into this thread because it will very clearly have spoilers.

Don't tell me what to do. I should be able to come here to see yes/no answers to whether it was good or not.

For anything other than yes/no answers, people should respect that not everyone wants to know even a little and use spoiler tags. It's what they're there for.

fiveways

fiveways

Tomorrow we get spoilers.  Not long now.

Any company that spends 250+ on a product gets to call the shots when information on it is released.   

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed