Alien: Covenant Early Reactions

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 28, 2017, 11:27:29 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Early Reactions (Read 149,419 times)

Robopadna

Robopadna

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 05, 2017, 11:42:19 AM
Quote from: Darth Vile on May 05, 2017, 11:31:51 AM
Quote from: The Cruentus on May 05, 2017, 11:14:57 AM
Quote from: Darth Vile on May 05, 2017, 08:48:01 AM
Quote from: gantarat on May 05, 2017, 08:37:42 AM
Hope David It's not Alien Creator,I mean Crazy Robot made Most dangerous alien creature in the universe ?

That very horrible than retcon hicks alive and contradict first movie that Derelict ship on lv-426 was crash long time ago.
Like it or nor (and I'm not a fan of retconning), it doesn't actually contradict anything in Alien. Clearly the initial conceit of the filmmakers was that the SJ was long dead, but anything else is really just an assumption (even if implied), in terms of how long the derelict had been there, whether it was actually fossilised or not etc.

That depends, Xeno are depicted as ancient in different sources, even the AVP film which is or was canon showed that Xenos existed in ancient times, thus David cannot be the creator, I really hope he is not but after reading just a fraction of the comments here that seem to indicate disatifaction from the more serious fans, I am worried.

Don't want spoilers but I really want to be reassured that this isn't true much more than I don't want spoilers  :laugh:

My theory is that David just replicated what the Engineers already created rather than outright creating them himself.

As I said, it doesn't contradict anything in Alien. And, speaking personally, I'm not really bothered about any of the films post Aliens timeline (although I acknowledge that some are). Most of the lore is based off EU and our own interpretations. It's open to be reshaped. As I said, I'm not a lover of retconning per se, but more films invariably leads to playing with the form etc.

Like I said, It depends. If the SJ and the derelict are meant to be ancient then it would be a contradiction, even if it wasn't ancient. The fact that the Derelict was supposed to be around before Prometheus (judging by deleted info regarding the signal that David picked up) then the Derelict and its cargo predated David's experiments in Covenant.  The engineer corpses as the result of the LV-233 outbreak (which happened 2000 years ago I think) looked fresher than the corpse in Alien. Dallas was no scientist, but the body does look fossilized....of course that is almost its own contradiction as I believe only bones are supposed to do that... not metal suits.

Just a quick clarification, the suits were not metal, they were very clearly organic.  The engineer who woke up literally had it melding in and out of his skin.  The exo skeleton that surrounded him was very likely, like most of their technology, biological in nature.

As an aside, what signal did David pick up that establishes a locked date for the crashed juggernaut?  Do you mean the signal he sends out in Covenant?

Imbrie

Imbrie

Quote from: gantarat on May 05, 2017, 11:52:24 AM
Hope David It's not Alien Creator,I mean Crazy Robot made Most dangerous alien creature in the universe ?

That very horrible than retcon hicks alive and contradict first movie that Derelict ship on lv-426 was crash long time ago.
Like it or nor (and I'm not a fan of retconning), it doesn't actually contradict anything in Alien. Clearly the initial conceit of the filmmakers was that the SJ was long dead, but anything else is really just an assumption (even if implied), in terms of how long the derelict had been there, whether it was actually fossilised or not etc.

That depends, Xeno are depicted as ancient in different sources, even the AVP film which is or was canon showed that Xenos existed in ancient times, thus David cannot be the creator, I really hope he is not but after reading just a fraction of the comments here that seem to indicate disatifaction from the more serious fans, I am worried.

Don't want spoilers but I really want to be reassured that this isn't true much more than I don't want spoilers  :laugh:

My theory is that David just replicated what the Engineers already created rather than outright creating them himself.

AvP Rage War novel (canon) claim that alien it's ancient creature.

I'm willing to bet a gazillion pounds that Ridley hasn't even heard of AvP Rage War let alone consider it to be canon inside of the universe he is building.

The Cruentus

Quote from: Robopadna on May 05, 2017, 11:52:44 AM
Quote from: Darth Vile on May 05, 2017, 11:31:51 AM

As I said, it doesn't contradict anything in Alien. And, speaking personally, I'm not really bothered about any of the films post Aliens timeline (although I acknowledge that some are). Most of the lore is based off EU and our own interpretations. It's open to be reshaped. As I said, I'm not a lover of retconning per se, but more films invariably leads to playing with the form etc.

Like I said, It depends. If the SJ and the derelict are meant to be ancient then it would be a contradiction, even if it wasn't ancient. The fact that the Derelict was supposed to be around before Prometheus (judging by deleted info regarding the signal that David picked up) then the Derelict and its cargo predated David's experiments in Covenant.  The engineer corpses as the result of the LV-233 outbreak (which happened 2000 years ago I think) looked fresher than the corpse in Alien. Dallas was no scientist, but the body does look fossilized....of course that is almost its own contradiction as I believe only bones are supposed to do that... not metal suits.

Just a quick clarification, the suits were not metal, they were very clearly organic.  The engineer who woke up literally had it melding in and out of his skin.  The exo skeleton that surrounded him was very likely, like most of their technology, biological in nature.

As an aside, what signal did David pick up that establishes a locked date for the crashed juggernaut?  Do you mean the signal he sends out in Covenant?

I meant the exo suits but fair point.

The signal that the Nostromo picked up, David also picked it up in a deleted scene or something in Prometheus but ignored in favor of LV-233, meaning that the Derelict along with its cargo existed before David started doing his lab experiments to replicate the Xeno.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

But there's nothing in Alien that categorically states that the derelict and SJ are 'ancient'. Dallas mentions that it looks fossilised, but that's about it. It's all assumed. Nothing is contradicted, apart from perhaps the proportions of the SJ... which is more artistic license than anything.

Robopadna

Robopadna

Quote from: Game_Over_Man on May 05, 2017, 11:14:32 AM
I'm not sure we could ask for much more considering the greater influence of research groups, executive producers and studios these days.

Reactions sound excellent overall, but the A-list reviewers really hold the aces - let's see what they say over the weekend.

Fox wouldn't have blown this much on a marketing campaign nor brought the film forward to blockbuster season if they felt it couldn't compete. I think we're onto a winner.

Transformers movies have massive marketing campaigns but I don't know if you would consider those movies 'winners' in the way I think you are using the word.  They are winners in the fact that they generate a lot of money for the studio but, critically, they are usually firmly in the loser category.  The same can be said for the most recent WB movies around the DC Universe.

Also, these early reactions are nearly always universally positive.  Batman V Superman, Suicide Squad, etc. all had glowing 'early' reviews.  Once critics were actually allowed to write about it, a much more accurate view got out there.

All of this is not to say this movie won't be good or enjoyable.  Just that nothing that has happened so far has been any different than any other movie in this category.

The Cruentus

Quote from: Darth Vile on May 05, 2017, 11:57:33 AM

But there's nothing in Alien that categorically states that the derelict and SJ are 'ancient'. Dallas mentions that it looks fossilised, but that's about it. It's all assumed. Nothing is contradicted, apart from perhaps the proportions of the SJ... which is more artistic license than anything.

Fair point but there are other sources (but you already commented about that) and then there is the deleted scene in Prometheus, while deleted content is technically scrapped content and thus non-canon, there are cases where such content was intended to be in the final film i.e Aliens special edition, not sure on Prometheus status regarding their deleted scenes.
In anycase, the Derelict was going to be referenced via a signal, meaning it and it's cargo predate (or was going to) David's actions in Covenant.

cucuchu

cucuchu

So without venturing into spoiler territory, I will say that I think I know what the issue might be and I've said it before. The xenomorph as we know it is not intended to exist in Alien Covenant. The aliens we see in it are a precursor or imitation of the true 'big chap'. That would explain differences in what we have come to expect. The next title is said to be called Awakening. What needs to be "awakened" if not once active but now dormant? The true xenomorph. We are just not there yet fellas.

Maybe that was not made clear in the film and people are taking the aliens in Covenant as the definitive Xenomorph, hence pissing in the morning cheerios of a lot of die hard Alien fans (and why casual fans are not aware and just really like the movie for what it is). But Ridley Scott has HIMSELF said that we are not there yet in regards to seeing the true "big chap" xenomorph.

Just my thoughts without having seen it myself, but what sounds like is going on.

gantarat

gantarat

The Peter Weyland Files from Prometheus Blu-Ray

Reveal that Peter,David and Weyland's team (except prometheus crew) know about LV-426 Signal before go LV-223

"As fate would have it, Shaw and Holloway's interest in Zeta 2 Reticuli has proven to be mutually beneficial. While the good doctors rely on ancient carvings and primitive cave paintings, my science division's own long range scans have recently detected a faint, almost imperceptible signal emanating from of the lesser moons in that system. And contrary to the findings of shaw and Holloway, which target LV-223 as our primary site of interest, our findings suggest the point of origin could actually be the moon LV-426.

Per standard procedure, we will embed a David 8 unit with the crew. And he will programmed with multiple contingency plans to address and exploit whatever assets we secure on 223. But only David will know about 426 and will ensure that the rest of the crew - including Meredith - learn nothing about the transmission we've recently discovered until the time is right."

also mural on Prometheus movies

Imbrie

Imbrie

Quote from: cucuchu on May 05, 2017, 12:05:31 PM
So without venturing into spoiler territory, I will say that I think I know what the issue might be and I've said it before. The xenomorph as we know it is not intended to exist in Alien Covenant. The aliens we see in it are a precursor or imitation of the true 'big chap'. That would explain differences in what we have come to expect. The next title is said to be called Awakening. What needs to be "awakened" if not once active but now dormant? The true xenomorph. We are just not there yet fellas.

Maybe that was not made clear in the film and people are taking the aliens in Covenant as the definitive Xenomorph, hence pissing in the morning cheerios of a lot of die hard Alien fans (and why casual fans are not aware and just really like the movie for what it is). But Ridley Scott has HIMSELF said that we are not there yet in regards to seeing the true "big chap" xenomorph.

Just my thoughts without having seen it myself, but what sounds like is going on.

I could absolutely live with that being the case.

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

Will this film make rewatching Prometheus a better experience?

Predaker

Predaker

Quote from: SyntaX on May 05, 2017, 07:55:59 AM
Quote from: harlequinade on May 05, 2017, 07:40:18 AM
Apologies if this was answered but the thread is hard to browse because of juvenile fights going on but is there anything not spoiled by leaks and marketing material? I am guessing Shaw is the last hope for a twist here

And how was Katherine in her role? How was her character?

You already know the answer to that.

::)

Clowndog

Clowndog

Hmm all this talk about controversial creature behaviour is making me think Ridley has brought back something along the lines of the ending he wanted for Alien.

juxtapose

juxtapose

i for one don't rally care if that is a suit or an alien corps or weather it was crafted from metal, plastic or the intestines of dead infants. .or whatever. .it's just a pity that dalles said it's looks to be 2000 old. .i don't care if they throw that ussumption out the window, it's of no great significance to me in anycase. .idon't like it  if their is huge contradictions within a franchise either. .but something like that is minor detail. .besides it was never confirmed how old it really was. .i have to say that seeing how others deem it as such a massive issue makes me kinda wonder if i am missing something?. . .or maybe i am not as big a geek as i previously thought?

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Stolen on May 05, 2017, 11:15:15 AM
Hicks, what is Covenant's rank in your top Alien (Prometheus included). Please  ;D
;D ;D

Covenant is a winner?

I can never pick a favourite out of the original trilogy so it'd go - Alien/s/3, Covenant, Prometheus, Resurrection.

Quote from: Bad Replicant on May 05, 2017, 11:25:22 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 05, 2017, 11:05:20 AM
It's just how it is, Winde. Embargo's have been a thing forever. There's likely some strategy involved in it.

Apologies if this has been answered -- but did you get to have your sit down with Ridley and cast, Hicks?

That's tomorrow.  :)

oduodu

oduodu

Quote from: TheBATMAN on May 05, 2017, 12:09:23 PM
Will this film make rewatching Prometheus a better experience?

That's What I  want to know.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed