Alien: Covenant Early Reactions

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 28, 2017, 11:27:29 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Early Reactions (Read 147,932 times)

whiterabbit

Quote from: Darth Vile on May 05, 2017, 09:43:36 AM
I'm assuming we're going to get a very clever, problem solving, xeno... and some (myself included probably) prefer the notion of the xeno being a primeval beast relying on instinct rather than intellect....
Well, they could go ahead and take it in the King Kong direction. The alien falls in love with the heroine.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: imbrie on May 05, 2017, 10:07:58 AM
Quote from: T Dog on May 05, 2017, 09:44:06 AM
Quote from: Ingwar on May 05, 2017, 09:37:02 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 04, 2017, 10:53:36 PM
However, it's brisk as f**k. This is Ridley chopping his film up like he did Prometheus. And the way the Alien's are handled...I wouldn't say it ruined the film for me but I'm surprised I didn't smash my face in with some facepalms.

Brisk? I didn't mind the way Prometheus was edited or chopped if you prefer. The script was an issue.

The way Alien's are handled? Do you mean CGI? The way the move? Or something story-wise?
My guess is its either story wise or that theres a really quick face hugger to chest burster turn around.

I agree. I'm imagining Oram's chestburst happens very quickly after being facehugged.

I wouldn't mind that at all. Xenomorph is Covenant is non-mechanical. It's pure bio therefore its biological structure is simpler that bio-mechanical therefore it grows and bursts quicker. Besides, look at Neomorphs and they way they grow!

Scraggly

Scraggly

Quote from: SyntaX on May 04, 2017, 01:26:13 PM
Quote from: cucuchu on May 04, 2017, 01:20:43 PM
Quote from: SyntaX on May 04, 2017, 01:14:28 PM
That concept art posted in the Tested YouTube video is not what sh...

Damn  :laugh:

Her fate and story will be made clear.

All I really want to know is: Was the ending satisfying? Once the credits hit, did it leave you feeling like a lot was missing (much like Prometheus for a lot of us), or were you satisfied, overall?

Covenant does a much better job at tying loose ends. Then again, it does leave alot of room for speculation. I'm sure questions raised in Covenant will be answered in the coming sequels.

I'll give you guys this.

Don't you guys find it strange that there's a Facehugger egg in Alien Covenant?
Pretty strange huh? We all know who lays those eggs. Or, do we?  ;) 8)

Looooong time lurker, but had to jump in and contribute. I've always assumed this was Shaw, having been experimented on by David, and his obsession with the black goo.

Spoiler
[close]

b4dkarm4

b4dkarm4

Quote from: whiterabbit on May 05, 2017, 10:08:35 AM
Quote from: Darth Vile on May 05, 2017, 09:43:36 AM
I'm assuming we're going to get a very clever, problem solving, xeno... and some (myself included probably) prefer the notion of the xeno being a primeval beast relying on instinct rather than intellect....
Well, they could go ahead and take it in the King Kong direction. The alien falls in love with the heroine.

Didn't they kinda sorta try that with Alien Resurrection?

Ripley was all grinding up on some Xenos. I mean, I didn't see any ballgags or blindfolds get pulled out but still I got the distinct impression she was getting her f**k on.

Denton Smalls

Quote from: SyntaX on May 05, 2017, 08:16:34 AM
Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on May 05, 2017, 08:09:20 AM
Quote from: Alien Runner on May 05, 2017, 08:08:57 AM
Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on May 05, 2017, 08:06:40 AM
Runner is trolling, and it seems pointless. I'm not thrilled with some of the story turns in this movie either but that doesn't mean I have to just ramble nonsense.

Once you watch the movie, you'll retract your statement. :)

Just like you've seen it, right?

He might have.
He might not.

The NDA I had to sign actually had a decent amount of space to fill in if I was an active member on Internet Forums connected to the Alien franchise. I filled in yes  ;) ... AvP Galaxy is an active community regarding Alien or Predator news. Even though it might be safe for me to spoil the entire movie ... I'd rather not risk a fine, ban or whatever. So, I'm going to behave untill sunday/monday.

No offense but did anyone from Fox get in touch with you after you basically spoiled Shaw's role early in the thread by heavily implying her connection, assuming they monitor this stuff?

I know I'm tempting fate by being on this forum 2 weeks from release while people have already seen the film but dude....spoiler tags are your friend.

windebieste

Here's what I don't get.  They invite you into exclusive preview sessions to help drive their hype engine; and then they shackle you with an NDA to prevent you from talking about.

It's complete bullshit. 

-Windebieste.

Adorianu

Adorianu

"Complex" well this is not saying anything for me because there are people who think Prometheus was a smart and complex movie and people are hating it because they are too dumb to understand it lol.

Looks like this movie will rape Alien lore again,Xenomorphs will not have a mystery around them anymore.
Also are there dumb character behavior like in Prometheus? (we already have people on alien planet without helmets).

Denton Smalls

Quote from: windebieste on May 05, 2017, 10:31:40 AM
Here's what I don't get.  They invite you into exclusive preview sessions to help drive their hype engine; and then they shackle you with an NDA to prevent you from talking about.

It's complete bullshit. 

-Windebieste.

Dude...the NDA is for a few days. They're literally asking him to hold his review for less than a week, not a month.

Robopadna

Robopadna

Quote from: Denton Smalls on May 05, 2017, 10:35:57 AM
Quote from: windebieste on May 05, 2017, 10:31:40 AM

It's complete bullshit. 

-Windebieste.

Dude...the NDA is for a few days. They're literally asking him to hold his review for less than a week, not a month.

And he has.

windebieste

So what's the big deal about the delay? 

Is it some kind of test he must pass?   Will he get his pay docked?   Will he - or anyone else who's seen it -  be less privileged for having seen an early showing?   Fox calling the shots is one thing - but come on.  Why shouldn't people be permitted to talk freely about it once they've seen it. 

It's complete bullshit.  Fox want's to keep it a secret - but not a secret for very long.  lol.  Just another bullshit embargo.

-Windebieste.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

NDAs are a fact of life.

Corporal Hicks

It's just how it is, Winde. Embargo's have been a thing forever. There's likely some strategy involved in it.

Game_Over_Man

I'm not sure we could ask for much more considering the greater influence of research groups, executive producers and studios these days.

Reactions sound excellent overall, but the A-list reviewers really hold the aces - let's see what they say over the weekend.

Fox wouldn't have blown this much on a marketing campaign nor brought the film forward to blockbuster season if they felt it couldn't compete. I think we're onto a winner.

The Cruentus

Quote from: Darth Vile on May 05, 2017, 08:48:01 AM
Quote from: gantarat on May 05, 2017, 08:37:42 AM
Hope David It's not Alien Creator,I mean Crazy Robot made Most dangerous alien creature in the universe ?

That very horrible than retcon hicks alive and contradict first movie that Derelict ship on lv-426 was crash long time ago.
Like it or nor (and I'm not a fan of retconning), it doesn't actually contradict anything in Alien. Clearly the initial conceit of the filmmakers was that the SJ was long dead, but anything else is really just an assumption (even if implied), in terms of how long the derelict had been there, whether it was actually fossilised or not etc.

That depends, Xeno are depicted as ancient in different sources, even the AVP film which is or was canon showed that Xenos existed in ancient times, thus David cannot be the creator, I really hope he is not but after reading just a fraction of the comments here that seem to indicate disatifaction from the more serious fans, I am worried.

Don't want spoilers but I really want to be reassured that this isn't true much more than I don't want spoilers  :laugh:

My theory is that David just replicated what the Engineers already created rather than outright creating them himself.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed