Alien: Covenant Early Reactions

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 28, 2017, 11:27:29 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Early Reactions (Read 149,254 times)

Imbrie

Imbrie

Quote from: MajorB on May 05, 2017, 08:37:10 AM
I'm pretty happy with the reactions I've heard so far. While I am curious to know what exactly is bothering Hicks and Syntax, they've dropped enough hints that I'm confident it won't be something that bothers me. The Alien is handled vastly different in every movie already and I like treating each movie in a franchise like its own discrete interpretation anyway. I'm all-in on the cigar-smoking aliens.

Can somebody tell me what the cigar smoking aliens is all about please? I've been through the thread but can't see where it originates from. I'm assuming it's somebody's attempt at wit.

D88M

D88M

Quote from: whiterabbit on May 05, 2017, 08:41:36 AM
Hardcore alien fans seem to like the movie but they don't love it. The causal fans seem to like the movie way more at the moment. There does seem to be something in the movie that has gotten the hardcore fans upset though. Enough so to question if Ridley and co. even bothered to watch alien. When someone says that... it carries weight.

yeah that has me worried, but still i will watch it as a movie and then i will think about lore and etcetera, if the movie is good, which seems to be, it can be forgiven, tough it seems they mess up an important part of continuity, i liked Prometheus btw, not terrible, not great (though it does have some pretty good moments)

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: gantarat on May 05, 2017, 08:37:42 AM
Hope David It's not Alien Creator,I mean Crazy Robot made Most dangerous alien creature in the universe ?

That very horrible than retcon hicks alive and contradict first movie that Derelict ship on lv-426 was crash long time ago.
Like it or nor (and I'm not a fan of retconning), it doesn't actually contradict anything in Alien. Clearly the initial conceit of the filmmakers was that the SJ was long dead, but anything else is really just an assumption (even if implied), in terms of how long the derelict had been there, whether it was actually fossilised or not etc.

MajorB

MajorB

Quote from: imbrie on May 05, 2017, 08:46:22 AM
I'm pretty happy with the reactions I've heard so far. While I am curious to know what exactly is bothering Hicks and Syntax, they've dropped enough hints that I'm confident it won't be something that bothers me. The Alien is handled vastly different in every movie already and I like treating each movie in a franchise like its own discrete interpretation anyway. I'm all-in on the cigar-smoking aliens.

Can somebody tell me what the cigar smoking aliens is all about please? I've been through the thread but can't see where it originates from. I'm assuming it's somebody's attempt at wit.

I don't remember who started it in this thread, I thought someone joked about it before that Alien Runner guy but I couldn't find it, but it's pretty much become shorthand for whatever unknown changes to the xeno that fly in the face of how they've been handled before. I assumed it was a reference to the cigar-chomping android xeno from the comics, or the ending of the first story in that recent Bug Hunt book.

SyntaX

SyntaX

I can't go into specifics.

The lore that was setup by Alien/Aliens got shaken up a but in Prometheus. Alien Covenant actually continues that.
Like I said before, some will "hate" this movie, some won't.

In the end, I think, it all comes down to what you hope to see in a movie.

Now, Alien Covenant isn't a bad movie ... for me, it was better than Prometheus. But some things could have been done slightly better.

whiterabbit

The alien smoking a cigar is in reference to Ridley's smoking a cigar. He apparently enjoys a fine cigar from time to time. At least I think that is what it's about.

Quote from: SyntaX on May 05, 2017, 09:01:23 AM

The lore that was setup by Alien/Aliens got shaken up a but in Prometheus. Alien Covenant actually continues that.
Hard to hate what I don't know. :P

D88M

D88M

hey bro, can i ask you a spoiler free question? the same i made to Hicks: does Covenant continues the story of Prometheus in any meaningful way, or it is kinda left aside more like a subplot? because so far this seem a lot more like an Alien prequel than a Prometheus sequel if you know what i mean, and i liked Prometheus and i really want to see how the story goes after that great ending, i know David is one of the main protagonists and that Shaw will appear in some form and that they do continue the story from Prometheus, what i ask is more something like, how much?

MajorB

MajorB

In the end, I think, it all comes down to what you hope to see in a movie.

Now, Alien Covenant isn't a bad movie ... for me, it was better than Prometheus. But some things could have been done slightly better.

My only fear with Covenant was that it was going to be Jurassic World with Xenomorphs. "Bigger," explodier, crass, cynical and only superficially enjoyable- I hated that movie even if it was a fun watch.

I loved Prometheus, so I assume that if you liked it more than Prometheus, I will really love Covenant.

whiterabbit

From the sounds of it, Alien: Covenant is Prometheus 2.

SyntaX

SyntaX

Prometheus was "slow". It had action ... but you could compare it with Alien.
Alien Covenant, to me, feels like Aliens. It has a decent mix of both.

Imbrie

Imbrie

Thanks for clearing up the cigar issue, MajorB and whiterabbit.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 04, 2017, 10:53:36 PM
However, it's brisk as f**k. This is Ridley chopping his film up like he did Prometheus. And the way the Alien's are handled...I wouldn't say it ruined the film for me but I'm surprised I didn't smash my face in with some facepalms.

Brisk? I didn't mind the way Prometheus was edited or chopped if you prefer. The script was an issue.

The way Alien's are handled? Do you mean CGI? The way the move? Or something story-wise?

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

I'm assuming we're going to get a very clever, problem solving, xeno... and some (myself included probably) prefer the notion of the xeno being a primeval beast relying on instinct rather than intellect....

T Dog

T Dog

Quote from: Ingwar on May 05, 2017, 09:37:02 AM
However, it's brisk as f**k. This is Ridley chopping his film up like he did Prometheus. And the way the Alien's are handled...I wouldn't say it ruined the film for me but I'm surprised I didn't smash my face in with some facepalms.

Brisk? I didn't mind the way Prometheus was edited or chopped if you prefer. The script was an issue.

The way Alien's are handled? Do you mean CGI? The way the move? Or something story-wise?
My guess is its either story wise or that theres a really quick face hugger to chest burster turn around.

Imbrie

Imbrie

Quote from: T Dog on May 05, 2017, 09:44:06 AM
Quote from: Ingwar on May 05, 2017, 09:37:02 AM

My guess is its either story wise or that theres a really quick face hugger to chest burster turn around.

I agree. I'm imagining Oram's chestburst happens very quickly after being facehugged.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed