Alien: Covenant Early Reactions

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 28, 2017, 11:27:29 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Early Reactions (Read 149,446 times)

SuicideDoors

Quote from: SyntaX on May 04, 2017, 11:45:20 AM
Much ... MUCH better than Alien 3 and Alien Ressurection.

The only problem I had with Covenant is that it doesn't feel "new". Making something feel "new" is a hard thing to do considering everything has been covered before. We all know the Xenomorph. The only thing that remains a mystery is it's origin. And by that I mean, it's TRUE origin.

Was it exciting? Scary? And genuine tension?

Would you say visually it was on par with Prometheus?

SyntaX

SyntaX

Quote from: Evanus on May 04, 2017, 11:44:31 AM
All the people who've seen it so far seem to dislike Prometheus, lol.

I actually kinda liked Prometheus, so I hope I'll like this one as well. But so far it seems like it will be very mixed for me. I hope it's not only a thriller/horror flick.  :-[

Rest assured, it's not a straight up horror flick. If you watch Alien and Aliens its more about the tension. The "big" unknown. Same applies to Covenant.

Quote from: SuicideDoors on May 04, 2017, 11:48:44 AM

The only problem I had with Covenant is that it doesn't feel "new". Making something feel "new" is a hard thing to do considering everything has been covered before. We all know the Xenomorph. The only thing that remains a mystery is it's origin. And by that I mean, it's TRUE origin.

Was it exciting? Scary? And genuine tension?

Would you say visually it was on par with Prometheus?

Yes.
Scary? Yes.
Tension. I'm 31. Not easil... *jumpscare*. Damn!  ;)
Visually stunning? O yes.

dlb

dlb

only thing that I want to know: I loved the concept of the Engineers in Prometheus, will I be disappointed with their portrayal in Covenant? :(

SyntaX

SyntaX

Quote from: dlb on May 04, 2017, 11:51:18 AM
only thing that I want to know: I loved the concept of the Engineers in Prometheus, will I be disappointed with their portrayal in Covenant? :(

Yes and no.

EDIT
So far so good. Not breaking embargo.

Enoch

Enoch

Quote from: SyntaX on May 04, 2017, 11:52:43 AM

Yes and no.

Are they still a factor, and COULD they be a factor in future sequels...
OR their story is sealed with Covenant?

Stolen

Stolen

Thks Syntax. Sounds great for me olala cant wait

SyntaX

SyntaX

Quote from: Enoch on May 04, 2017, 11:54:00 AM

Yes and no.

They've been a factor since Alien.
Can't answer the last one.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Those are fighting words to some.  I still have a lot of nostalgia for Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection.  I'll try to keep an open mind, though.

SyntaX

SyntaX

Quote from: Scorpio on May 04, 2017, 12:02:32 PM

Those are fighting words to some.  I still have a lot of nostalgia for Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection.  I'll try to keep an open mind, though.

Alien Covenant, for me, is a better movie than Alien 3 or A:R. Although both are pretty fun movies to watch, Covenant goes back to it's roots of horror and suspense. Don't get me wrong, Alien 3 (the extended version I believe) improves the theatrical version alot. In the end, I can not influence your opinion of a movie. You are the judge  8)

I'm just here to post mine.

Enoch

Enoch

Quote from: SyntaX on May 04, 2017, 11:59:34 AM

Yes and no.

Thanks :) Last questions - Has Covenant succeeded in reinvigoration of the franchise in your opinion? Has this movie amplified already puzzling mystery of the Xenomorph? Can we say that this movie opened a door leading to many new mysteries?

If you cant answer those above then this easy one,
Can you say if Xeno is a bit scarier now with all the context from
Covenant?

Thanks again, I wont bother you with any subsequent questions :)

Necronomicon II

Music to my ears.

SyntaX

SyntaX

Quote from: Enoch on May 04, 2017, 12:04:35 PM
Quote from: SyntaX on May 04, 2017, 11:59:34 AM

Yes and no.

Thanks :) Last questions - Has Covenant succeeded in reinvigoration of the franchise in your opinion? Did this movie amplyfy already puzzling mystery of the Xenomorph? Can we say that this movie opened a doors leading to many new mysteries?

The thing is ... why didn't they call it Prometheus - Covenant?
From a marketing perspective, yes, the reinvigorated the Alien franchise. Again, Covenant is a welcome addition to the Alien franchise and a vast improvement over Prometheus.

I can't go into details about the Xenomorph just yet, but I have no doubt that the outcome of Covenant will be great to some and disappointing to others.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: SyntaX on May 04, 2017, 12:04:14 PM

Alien Covenant, for me, is a better movie than Alien 3 or A:R. Although both are pretty fun movies to watch, Covenant goes back to it's roots of horror and suspense. Don't get me wrong, Alien 3 (the extended version I believe) improves the theatrical version alot. In the end, I can not influence your opinion of a movie. You are the judge  8)

Fair enough, but bear in mind, people were saying that about AVPR when it came out.

SyntaX

SyntaX

Quote from: Scorpio on May 04, 2017, 12:08:31 PM
Quote from: SyntaX on May 04, 2017, 12:04:14 PM

Fair enough, but bear in mind, people were saying that about AVPR when it came out.

AVP:R was a worthless movie that tried to redeem the mistakes made in AVP. The only good thing we got out of AVP:R was the Predalien. The entire movie was pure fan service and doesn't have any reason (besides the fan service) to exist. I hated it.

Enoch

Enoch

Quote from: SyntaX on May 04, 2017, 12:07:08 PM

The thing is ... why didn't they call it Prometheus - Covenant?
From a marketing perspective, yes, the reinvigorated the Alien franchise. Again, Covenant is a welcome addition to the Alien franchise and a vast improvement over Prometheus.

I can't go into details about the Xenomorph just yet, but I have no doubt that the outcome of Covenant will be great to some and disappointing to others.

Great for those who liked Prometheus or hated it? :)
I asked that because I m in the first group. Liked the movie after
seeing it in the cinema and love it till this day despite its grand flaws.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed