Alien: Covenant Early Reactions

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 28, 2017, 11:27:29 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Early Reactions (Read 148,029 times)

NickisSmart

Quote from: newagescamartist on May 04, 2017, 12:10:20 AM
Quote from: fiveways on May 03, 2017, 10:41:50 PM
I'm waiting for the first round of spoilers before I figure out if I'm gonna bother seeing it in the theatre.

Somewhere over the course of the last year I lost my taste for ultra-violence.  I want to see if there is enough substance to the actual film to make me want to sit in a theatre for 2 hours watching it.

I know what you mean about the ultra-violence. I'm kind of over it too, but if it's done in a way that makes me feel something I'm for it.

I don't know what you guys mean, at all. I want more! More! *laughs maniacally*

salomonj

salomonj

Quote from: NickisSmart on May 04, 2017, 12:44:23 AM
I'm waiting for the first round of spoilers before I figure out if I'm gonna bother seeing it in the theatre.

Somewhere over the course of the last year I lost my taste for ultra-violence.  I want to see if there is enough substance to the actual film to make me want to sit in a theatre for 2 hours watching it.

I know what you mean about the ultra-violence. I'm kind of over it too, but if it's done in a way that makes me feel something I'm for it.

Right? The more Thing-like body horror we get the better

fiveways

fiveways

If it is part of the overall story and that story is interesting I am ok with it.  So far I am not convinced that Covenant is going to do it in a way that isn't just gore for the sake of gore to make up for the lack of it in Prometheus.  I figure the spoilers will give me what I need to know.

Quote from: NickisSmart on May 04, 2017, 12:44:23 AM

I used to be that way.  Lately it's just gone.  I watch it and it just makes me feel empty and sad. 

Xenomorphine

Don't know if it's possible, but would be useful to have an idea of what advanced word was for 'Prometheus'. I'm sure there were a few who were hinting it was the most amazing thing, ever, back then.

I'm cautiously hopeful, myself, but it's difficult to know which sources to really trust with this.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Yeah, gore really doesn't jive well with me the older I get. No thrill, just disgust, or me just feeling indifferent to it, which isn't a nice feeling since watching people getting mutilated and such should be gut-wrenching to watch (no pun intended!) on all levels. It needs to be carefully handled and with great restriction and thought for it to work for me. I really hope that this gore hype we've heard concerning A:C is just hype and hype only. I really hope the movie will spare us frivolous gore.

cucuchu

cucuchu

Quote from: Xenomorphine on May 04, 2017, 01:33:26 AM
Don't know if it's possible, but would be useful to have an idea of what advanced word was for 'Prometheus'. I'm sure there were a few who were hinting it was the most amazing thing, ever, back then.

I'm cautiously hopeful, myself, but it's difficult to know which sources to really trust with this.

For those of you that want to time travel back to about this very point in time precluding the arrival of Prometheus...
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?board=37.1080
Page 55 of the Prometheus forums here.

You can see for yourself the similarities. I see a bit more optimism this time around.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Blast from the past!  :laugh:

That being said, I really do think Covenant will be more satisfying, even if only because of all the spoilers letting us know exactly what to expect.

NickisSmart

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on May 04, 2017, 01:40:30 AM
Yeah, gore really doesn't jive well with me the older I get. No thrill, just disgust, or me just feeling indifferent to it, which isn't a nice feeling since watching people getting mutilated and such should be gut-wrenching to watch (no pun intended!) on all levels. It needs to be carefully handled and with great restriction and thought for it to work for me. I really hope that this gore hype we've heard concerning A:C is just hype and hype only. I really hope the movie will spare us frivolous gore.

Yeah, well, hate to burst rain on your parade, but...
Spoiler
This movie has some of the goriest scenes I've ever seen in a film outside of John Carpenter's The Thing. Frivolity with a capital F
[close]

fiveways

fiveways

Totally agree.  Looking down the barrel of 40. 

I think i would be better with it if the characters had lasting impact from it.  Like Shaw straight up looks like she has PTSD in the prelude bit.  Staring out the window just looking broken from what she's seen and already gone through.  That sort of thing is needed for me now.  Film without depicting the consequences of what you have seen are just empty.  Yeah, those movies aren't fun.  Remembering your crew and friends being eviscerated by a variety of monsters created by an insane android with a daddy complex shouldn't be fun.  It should be horrible.  That is the true terror, the true body horror to me.  Reliving it everyday, never feeling right in your skin. 

Ragonk_Force

Ragonk_Force

Quote from: NickisSmart on May 04, 2017, 02:36:46 AM

Spoiler
This movie has some of the goriest scenes I've ever seen in a film outside of John Carpenter's The Thing. Frivolity with a capital F
[close]
It doesnt rain on my parade. Frivolous gore to me is Jason sawing someones neck, then twisting the head off. Like the saw didnt do the job. Xenomorphs are supposed to be the most ruthlessly savage killers in the universe. What they do to human beings isnt going to be pretty. The violence in this is Justified art

NickisSmart

Well, maybe I'm not as old and jaded (31 young) but I love gore, I love violence. Because it's a movie, fellas, and ultimately it's supposed to be fun. Being a gore hound, I eat this shit up. I love it!

Is it gratuitous? I don't know, is Alien or Aliens gratuitous? The gore in those films is part of the fun. Maybe people view it differently in those cases because those films are so well-made, but it, the gore, is all part of the show, the attraction.

El Diablo

El Diablo

The over-the-top gore in ALIEN: RESURRECTION is one of the few things that makes that film watchable for me (I'm an old school gorehound who used to have a subscription to Fangoria magazine for nearly 20 years). I do prefer the fleeting glimpses of brutal violence from the earlier movies but I don't mind a more visceral experience personally. The Backburster sequence is right up my alley.

Ragonk_Force

Ragonk_Force

Quote from: El Diablo on May 04, 2017, 04:14:39 AM
The over-the-top gore in ALIEN: RESURRECTION is one of the few things that makes that film watchable for me (I'm an old school gorehound who used to have a subscription to Fangoria magazine for nearly 20 years). I do prefer the fleeting glimpses of brutal violence from the earlier movies but I don't mind a more visceral experience personally. The Backburster sequence is right up my alley.
Fangoria.. high five

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: NickisSmart on May 04, 2017, 02:36:46 AM

Spoiler
[close]

I like The Thing for what it is. That kind of gore just doesn't fit in with the Alien universe I like, even though A:R took a giant leap that direction. Gore also has a tendency to make things feel a little cheesy (in an incredibly morbid kind of way). I mean, the Chestburster sequence in the original is almost too much - it's carefully balancing on the tip of a scale. If it wasn't for the masterful top-notch acting, that legendary scene could've turned into another cheesy pulp sic-fi C-flick schlock moment that only gore fantasist would've appreciated.

Anyways... I haven't seen A:C yet, obviously. I just hope that the gore in the movie is more in the vein of ALIEN than, let's say, A:R or even AVP:R.

Ragonk_Force

Ragonk_Force

Well it is Ridley scott, he does visuals, and violence better thany anyone

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed