Alien: Covenant Early Reactions

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 28, 2017, 11:27:29 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Early Reactions (Read 149,412 times)

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: juxtapose on May 03, 2017, 08:02:27 PM
Their is going to be those comparisons to alien and aliens and no matter how awesome covenant turns out it will be rated third best. .i hate that notion that alien is the best movie ever just cause it came first. .i love both those films for different reasons. .but i see absolutely no reason why they cannot be topped. .IMO prometheus almost came very close and covenant just seems like the movie that can sit comfortably next to those first 2 entries. . . When i was younger i thought aliens was better. .but now at older age i think they about equal. .based on everything i have read and seen so far. .i think covenant can easily saippass or equel those 2 old nostalgic favorites. .
One has to be realistic. I don't think it's an insult to come 2nd (or 3rd) to one of the best sci-fi/horror films of all time. Nor is it an insult to not meet the heights of one of the best sequels in popular cinema. I'll be quite happy if Alien: Covenant is not as good as Alien/Aliens, as long as it's closer to them, in terms of quality, than the others.

fiveways

fiveways

I'm waiting for the first round of spoilers before I figure out if I'm gonna bother seeing it in the theatre.

Somewhere over the course of the last year I lost my taste for ultra-violence.  I want to see if there is enough substance to the actual film to make me want to sit in a theatre for 2 hours watching it.

Ragonk_Force

Ragonk_Force

Quote from: Whos_Nick on May 03, 2017, 08:24:39 PM
The embargo lifts May 6th at 8:45pm PST
Pardon my ignorance on the topic, but what exactly is this embargo all about?

echobbase79

An embargo is when you can't say anything until the studio says so.

Ragonk_Force

Ragonk_Force

Quote from: echobbase79 on May 03, 2017, 10:56:33 PM
I see how that would apply to cast or press, but how can they stop random people that see it early from talking about it online?

Clowndog

Clowndog

Quote from: Ragonk_Force on May 03, 2017, 11:07:53 PM
I see how that would apply to cast or press, but how can they stop random people that see it early from talking about it online?

Because if they ever want to have a relationship with the production companies again they need to not break it. This is also why the production companies are very selective of who they choose to invite, the person needs to be invested enough and have a long enough track record of being reliable to even be considered.

Ragonk_Force

Ragonk_Force

I see, thanks. So even though the official premeire is tomorrow, we wont get review until Saturday, correct?

oberonqa

oberonqa

Quote from: Ragonk_Force on May 03, 2017, 11:07:53 PM
Only people seeing it right now are invite only and require attendees to agree to uphold the embargo.   People invited are industry insiders and members of the press.  Everyday people won't be seeing it until the 11th or 18th (night before official release day depending on territory) unless they happen to know someone who gets them in or are a +1 to an invitee.

Clowndog

Clowndog

Quote from: Ragonk_Force on May 03, 2017, 11:15:28 PM
I see, thanks. So even though the official premeire is tomorrow, we wont get review until Saturday, correct?

No full on reviews until Saturday, unless someone feels like ruining their career.

We'll get people saying small reactions, maybe a few getting close to overstepping the embargo line, but nothing substantial.

Ragonk_Force

Ragonk_Force

Thanks for the info, makes sense

Gazz

Gazz

Just a guess but the social media embargo may be a day earlier as is often with blockbusters (and was with Guardians of the Galaxy recently). It essentially provides critics the opportunity to summarise their thoughts in a tweet or two.

Ragonk_Force

Ragonk_Force

Quote from: Gazz on May 03, 2017, 11:31:40 PM
Just a guess but the social media embargo may be a day earlier as is often with blockbusters (and was with Guardians of the Galaxy recently). It essentially provides critics the opportunity to summarise their thoughts in a tweet or two.
Maybe hicks can confirm this

GQSioux

GQSioux

I can't speak for how the UK premiere is being handled, but with the U.S. May 5th screenings, there's a "global review embargo" that's lifted on Saturday, May 6 @ 8:45PM PST / 11:45PM EST.

Embargoes tend to be handled differently depending on the studio or movie. Please keep in mind that while there are press, talent and industry insiders invited to these things, they're usually allowed a "plus one guest," so you DO get non-professionals at these things. I definitely know a person who is going to the UK premiere as a guest. Sometimes invites clearly state that even a guest must abide by the embargo. I've been to screenings where you sometimes even have to sign an embargo waiver, sometimes even the guest too.  Other times, there's nothing stating what your guest can and can't say on social media, and I honestly have no idea if they even have the manpower to do anything about a random guest posting a Tweet.

SpreadEagleBeagle

I'm stoked about this movie as well! I'm going to lower my expectations as much as I can nonetheless since I hate being disappointed.

If it is on par with ALIENS I'll be ok but not satisfied. But if it is even remotely as good as ALIEN or A3 I'll take back everything I've said about Ridley Scott film-making the last 30 years.

newagescamartist

Quote from: fiveways on May 03, 2017, 10:41:50 PM
I'm waiting for the first round of spoilers before I figure out if I'm gonna bother seeing it in the theatre.

Somewhere over the course of the last year I lost my taste for ultra-violence.  I want to see if there is enough substance to the actual film to make me want to sit in a theatre for 2 hours watching it.

I know what you mean about the ultra-violence. I'm kind of over it too, but if it's done in a way that makes me feel something I'm for it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed