Alien: Covenant Early Reactions

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 28, 2017, 11:27:29 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Early Reactions (Read 149,773 times)

Corporal Hicks

Yeah, it's from the poster being used to advertise the film panel at a convention next month.  :)

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: Ragonk_Force on May 03, 2017, 02:31:49 PMIt doesn't matter, alot of people on here have convinced themselves they aren't going to like it before seeing it

True.  However, to counter that; a lot of people have convinced themselves that they are going to like it, before seeing it.  Best not to form a concrete opinion either way, prior to seeing the finished film for oneself, in my opinion.

On that note, I will add that opinions of advanced screenings are often unreliable in my experience.  People tend to get caught up in the excitement of the event and often retract their gushing praise months down the line.  That's not to say that I think 'Alien Covenant' will be a bad film or that anyone who gives it a good review at this early stage is in denial; it's simply to say that it's perhaps best to take early reactions with a small pinch of salt.  Again, based upon past experience.

Pvt. Himmel

oberonqa

oberonqa

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 03, 2017, 06:24:00 PM
Quote from: Ragonk_Force on May 03, 2017, 02:31:49 PMIt doesn't matter, alot of people on here have convinced themselves they aren't going to like it before seeing it

True.  However, to counter that; a lot of people have convinced themselves that they are going to like it, before seeing it.  Best not to form a concrete opinion either way, prior to seeing the finished film for oneself, in my opinion.

On that note, I will add that opinions of advanced screenings are often unreliable in my experience.  People tend to get caught up in the excitement of the event and often retract their gushing praise months down the line.  That's not to say that I think 'Alien Covenant' will be a bad film or that anyone who gives it a good review at this early stage is in denial; it's simply to say that it's perhaps best to take early reactions with a small pinch of salt.  Again, based upon past experience.

While I agree with you here to a certain point, I also would ask whats wrong with just liking a movie?  Does liking something need to be quantified with hard facts to avoid being labeled a fan boy?  Does the same apply for people who don't like a movie and being labeled a hater?

My fear is that people have already made up their mind one way or the other and are just waiting to pounce on anyone who doesn't agree.  I fear the next couple of weeks will be very toxic and it will all boill down to preconceived judgements and viciously attacking opposing viewpoints.  Haters vs Fanboys if you will.

Clowndog

Clowndog

If Aliens is divisive to the Alien community there is no hope in hell for this film.

There will be disagreements aplenty.

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: oberonqa on May 03, 2017, 07:24:23 PM
While I agree with you here to a certain point, I also would ask whats wrong with just liking a movie?  Does liking something need to be quantified with hard facts to avoid being labeled a fan boy?  Does the same apply for people who don't like a movie and being labeled a hater?

My fear is that people have already made up their mind one way or the other and are just waiting to pounce on anyone who doesn't agree.  I fear the next couple of weeks will be very toxic and it will all boill down to preconceived judgements and viciously attacking opposing viewpoints.  Haters vs Fanboys if you will.

On the subject of fanboys and haters; I vehemently dislike fanboys and I vehemently dislike "haters" (a word I'm not too keen on, in and of itself, as it's only ever used by fanboys to dismiss any and all criticism, even if it's completely valid - but I do dislike the principle of hating something as an automatic response), as they're both extremist points of view, loving or hating something not based upon a case-by-case basis of individual merits but rather because such types have a predisposition to either love or hate something in order to support their blinkered perception of a certain form of media and/or art.  Such extremist reactions stem from a place of willful ignorance, which is the worst kind of ignorance.

As for your implication that I'm judging people who say that they like the film based upon their viewing of the preview screening; I never said that they were automatically being disingenuous.  I simply pointed out that based upon previous experience, it's easy to become wrapped up in the excitement of an event and lose perspective to a certain degree.  Therefore; some people who see the preview screenings of 'Alien Covenant' will feel that they've just witnessed a brilliant piece of cinema, which they loved and in that particular moment, feel that they will continue to love forevermore but they may later backpedal on that statement with the benefit of hindsight.  Others will feel that they've just watched a brilliant film and will continue to hold that opinion because, you know what?  Maybe it's just a brilliant film.  Period.

I feel that you had misconstrued my thoughts and I hope that I have now clarified them for you.  I'm certainly not judging anyone or bashing anyone's opinions.  I merely possess a healthy amount of skepticism, given my knowledge of how the effects of hype and excitement can lead to clouding one's initial judgement of art or entertainment.  I myself have experienced the very thing of which I speak; I attended a studio recording for a television programe and in that moment, of sitting there with a fellow audience and seeing something play out in front of me, full of excitement; I found the show to be of the highest caliber.  I then watched the final broadcast of that show weeks later and came to the realisation that it was absolutely rubbish and that my inital opinion had been heavily coloured by the experience of the evening's excitement in general.  Such is, or rather can be, the nature of getting caught up in the moment.

No judgement here, not from I.  I'm merely exercising optimistic caution in relation to the initial reviews, once again; based upon past experience.  It is my view that a small amount of skepticism is healthy and at the very least, may save one from bitter disappointment and maybe even leave one feeling pleasantly surprised.

juxtapose

juxtapose

Their is going to be those comparisons to alien and aliens and no matter how awesome covenant turns out it will be rated third best. .i hate that notion that alien is the best movie ever just cause it came first. .i love both those films for different reasons. .but i see absolutely no reason why they cannot be topped. .IMO prometheus almost came very close and covenant just seems like the movie that can sit comfortably next to those first 2 entries. . . When i was younger i thought aliens was better. .but now at older age i think they about equal. .based on everything i have read and seen so far. .i think covenant can easily saippass or equel those 2 old nostalgic favorites. .

oberonqa

oberonqa

Quote from: Clowndog on May 03, 2017, 07:43:28 PM
If Aliens is divisive to the Alien community there is no hope in hell for this film.

There will be disagreements aplenty.

Sad but true, I fear.  Heck I'm already guilty of it, arguing with people nitpicking the 10 minutes of footage released on Alien Day (let it not be said I don't acknowledge my own contributions to the toxic atmosphere). 

I can only imagine how much worse it'll be when those same people systematically nitpick every last second of the movie.  The veins in my forehead are already throbbing dangerously just considering such a scenario.  LOL!

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 03, 2017, 07:59:10 PM
Quote from: oberonqa on May 03, 2017, 07:24:23 PM

On the subject of fanboys and haters; I vehemently dislike fanboys and I vehemently dislike "haters" (a word I'm not too keen on, in and of itself, as it's only ever used by fanboys to dismiss any and all criticism, even if it's completely valid - but I do dislike the principle of hating something as an automatic response), as they're both extremist points of view, loving or hating something not based upon a case-by-case basis of individual merits but rather because such types have a predisposition to either love or hate something in order to support their blinkered perception of a certain form of media and/or art.  Such extremist reactions stem from a place of willful ignorance, which is the worst kind of ignorance.

As for your implication that I'm judging people who say that they like the film based upon their viewing of the preview screening; I never said that they were automatically being disingenuous.  I simply pointed out that based upon previous experience, it's easy to become wrapped up in the excitement of an event and lose perspective to a certain degree.  Therefore; some people who see the preview screenings of 'Alien Covenant' will feel that they've just witnessed a brilliant piece of cinema, which they loved and in that particular moment, feel that they will continue to love forevermore but they may later backpedal on that statement with the benefit of hindsight.  Others will feel that they've just watched a brilliant film and will continue to hold that opinion because, you know what?  Maybe it's just a brilliant film.  Period.

I feel that you had misconstrued my thoughts and I hope that I have now clarified them for you.  I'm certainly not judging anyone or bashing anyone's opinions.  I merely possess a healthy amount of skepticism, given my knowledge of how the effects that hype and excitement can lead to clouding one's initial judgement of art or entertainment.  I myself have experienced the very thing of which I speak; I attended a studio recording for a television programe and in that moment, of sitting there with a fellow audience and seeing something play out in front of me, full of excitement; I found the show to be of the highest caliber.  I then watched the final broadcast of that show weeks later and came to the realisation that it was absolutely rubbish and that my inital opinion had been heavily coloured by the experience of the evening's excitement in general.  Such is, or rather can be, the nature of getting caught up in the moment.

No judgement here  Not from I; merely optimistic caution in relation to the initial reviews, once again; based on past excitement.  It is my view that a small amount of skepticism is healthy and at the very least, may save one from bitter disappointment and maybe even leave one feeling pleasantly surprised.

I didn't imply anything and was merely asking a question.  There was no implication or judgement leveled against you.

Didn't read past second paragraph once I realized you felt I was attacking you.

And that is how toxic things have become.  Can't even ask someone a question without that person going on the defensive, even when I prefaced the question with "I agree with you to a point."

Maybe I just need to step back and away fron this community for a couple of months.... go back to lurking and keep my thoughts, opinions, and questions to myself.  With things as toxic as they are, I don't foresee constructive conversation lasting much longer as a viable option.

Richman678

Richman678

Someone said the embargo is lifted this Friday. This is normally a good sign. When a studio thinks the movie is a stinker they put an embargo on the film till the day before it's released. However, when it's open that far in advance then that means they are expecting reviews to be very good.

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: oberonqa on May 03, 2017, 08:06:49 PM
I didn't imply anything and was merely asking a question.  There was no implication or judgement leveled against you.

Didn't read past second paragraph once I realized you felt I was attacking you.

I felt there was an implication but I didn't for one second feel that you were "attacking" me.  I tried to answer your question as best I could.  May I suggest, in a friendly manner, that you read the rest of my post?  There's no bitterness contained within, which you will surely realise, should you care to read on.  If anything, I was largely agreeing with you.

Whos_Nick

Whos_Nick

The embargo lifts May 6th at 8:45pm PST

oberonqa

oberonqa

Quote from: Richman678 on May 03, 2017, 08:11:31 PM
Someone said the embargo is lifted this Friday. This is normally a good sign. When a studio thinks the movie is a stinker they put an embargo on the film till the day before it's released. However, when it's open that far in advance then that means they are expecting reviews to be very good.

That is indeed a good sign.

salomonj

salomonj

Quote from: Richman678 on May 03, 2017, 08:11:31 PM
After the premiere tomorrow, I heard that the people attending are allowed a one sentence opinion/their thoughts. Is that true?

whiterabbit

I don't think this movie will be ground breaking but it will have a little bit of everything for everyone. Well, it'll have a lot of everything may be a better way to put it. It's going to have the fast pace Aliens action, the exploration of Prometheus and the claustrophobic tension of Alien spread between 3 acts. All wrapped into a larger, meaner universe.

Hence, I think that there will be wide audience appeal.

M_Tak

M_Tak

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 03, 2017, 04:54:19 PM
Quote from: M_Tak on May 03, 2017, 03:39:51 PM
I'm seeing it tomorrow so I'll tell you my thoughts :)

You're attending the premiere?

I shall indeed!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed