Alien: Covenant Early Reactions

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 28, 2017, 11:27:29 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Early Reactions (Read 147,991 times)

Evanus

Evanus

There are female engineers. You just can't see them in that Empire pic, but they're clearly there in the set pictures.

BishopShouldGo

It's so interesting how Ridley changes. Remember this quote:

"If we're fortunate enough to make more 'Prometheus' films, you could make ten, and not link up with the Alien franchise, or you could do as Ridley's suggested and make two more," explained Michael Ellenberg, one of the executive producers on the film. "From the beginning, what Ridley was passionate about was not making a prequel that would tell you who Ellen Ripley's mom was, or how exactly that ship got there, that was never what he was interested in. He was interested in much larger questions about the nature of life itself, who we are, how we got here, and what he saw was a larger idea in the franchise that had never been explored: who would make such a horrible creature and why? And in looking at that creature, it came to look at the origins of ourselves."

HABIT

HABIT

Quote from: Evanus on May 07, 2017, 01:34:04 AM
There are female engineers. You just can't see them in that Empire pic, but they're clearly there in the set pictures.
Mind posting some proof?

dkwookie

dkwookie

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on May 07, 2017, 02:15:36 AM
It's so interesting how Ridley changes. Remember this quote:

"If we're fortunate enough to make more 'Prometheus' films, you could make ten, and not link up with the Alien franchise, or you could do as Ridley's suggested and make two more," explained Michael Ellenberg, one of the executive producers on the film. "From the beginning, what Ridley was passionate about was not making a prequel that would tell you who Ellen Ripley's mom was, or how exactly that ship got there, that was never what he was interested in. He was interested in much larger questions about the nature of life itself, who we are, how we got here, and what he saw was a larger idea in the franchise that had never been explored: who would make such a horrible creature and why? And in looking at that creature, it came to look at the origins of ourselves."

No different to other film makers sagas. George Lucas springs to mind with his Ewok/Wookie switch or his prequels. In the words of Lawrence (which David should have quoted) "nothing is written"

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Alien Runner on May 07, 2017, 01:03:48 AM
7/10 means the movie sucks

It usually means something is entertaining enough to rewatch, but maybe a little too generic or predictable to be considered a classic. A film like this should really be aiming for at least an 8/10.

Have a feeling many of us will eventually be saying, "Yeah, it was fun, but..."

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on May 07, 2017, 01:30:31 AM
Oooh, and not to forget - the Bambi Burster seems to be back.

Not according to the Creature Supervisor I asked about that.

dkwookie

dkwookie

Quote from: Xenomorphine on May 07, 2017, 02:25:52 AM

It usually means something is entertaining enough to rewatch, but maybe a little too generic or predictable to be considered a classic. A film like this should really be aiming for at least an 8/10.

7 out of 10 is Force Awakens, competent fan service with layers of nostalgia for non super fans including old actors appearing.
9 out of 10 is Rogue One, new ideas layered into existing story with a different but similar vibe to the earlier films

I would be happy with 7,8 or 9 but that's from an Alien fan who would say Alien 3 is a 7 and Resurection a 6. Of course Alien and Aliens are a 10

rustyredraccoon

rustyredraccoon

Quote from: newagescamartist on May 07, 2017, 12:32:41 AM
Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on May 07, 2017, 12:26:23 AM
Quote from: shawsbaby on May 06, 2017, 11:52:01 PM
I think Alien 3 will be considered a classic a decade from now.

I'm not sure if you are trying to be tongue-in-cheek with this comment, but people were saying the same thing a decade ago. It's not horrible, though, and should have ended Ripley's story IMHO. Oddly enough, ALIEN 3 contains THE MOST iconic single frame from the entire franchise though.

Given that this is a horror-sci-fi film and technically the EIGHTH in an inconsistent franchise, we can't really expect uniformly great reviews. The genre in general gets mixed reaction and the stink of lesser movies surely follows this one around.

This is spot-on. I have guesses as to where the scores are eventually going to settle, but right now I think it is easy to pick and choose reviews to fit your preconceived notions about how the film is going to pan out. The "this film is going to be awesome" crowd will get reviews to back up their thoughts and the "this film is going to suck" crowd will as well.

windebieste

windebieste

Ah... It's just the pulse rifle, Ripley lovin' gang that can't get past 1986 complaining again. 

*hand wave*  Just leave 'em back there, smouldering in last Century woes.  They're never going to be happy.

Each new iteration of 'ALIEN 3' gets better each time it hits the home entertainment circuit.  That last BluRay version was the meat!.  As for classic..?  I can't tell you one other Sci Fi movie released in 1992 that even gets talked about any more.

'ALIEN 3' had to fight to get the recognition it now deserves.  I'm all for it being recognised as a classic.  Earned its place, it has.

-Windebieste.

Sway

Sway

Quote from: rustyredraccoon on May 07, 2017, 02:45:40 AM
Quote from: newagescamartist on May 07, 2017, 12:32:41 AM
I think Alien 3 will be considered a classic a decade from now.

I'm not sure if you are trying to be tongue-in-cheek with this comment, but people were saying the same thing a decade ago. It's not horrible, though, and should have ended Ripley's story IMHO. Oddly enough, ALIEN 3 contains THE MOST iconic single frame from the entire franchise though.

Given that this is a horror-sci-fi film and technically the EIGHTH in an inconsistent franchise, we can't really expect uniformly great reviews. The genre in general gets mixed reaction and the stink of lesser movies surely follows this one around.

This is spot-on. I have guesses as to where the scores are eventually going to settle, but right now I think it is easy to pick and choose reviews to fit your preconceived notions about how the film is going to pan out. The "this film is going to be awesome" crowd will get reviews to back up their thoughts and the "this film is going to suck" crowd will as well.

I think for some it does end Ripley's story. Resurrection isn't even worth considering.

Alien 3 was absolutely beautiful. The colors, the way it was shot. Interesting characters in a very beautiful interesting place. Even the story wasn't too bad. Maybe I'm biased because it happens to be the first one I saw in theaters.

gantarat

gantarat

Eight? You mean SIXTH, right? AVP is a separate franchise from the Alien franchise. Unfortunately the stink from the AVP movies have managed to stick to the Alien movies somehow. Hopefully there won't be anymore AVP movies for a long time to come and we can all hope that A:C is as good as it seems like. Hopefully A:C and its sequels will wash away the AVP reek, and by that time A3 and A:R will have ten more years or so to mature in the minds of their former haters as they might, by that time, be ready to digest them both, or at least A3.

Spoiler
reading some of these reviews online it sure sounds like David is the creator of the Alien. It feels like Ridley chose to sacrifice the mythic and mystery-ridden primordial aspect of the Alien's nature in order to harp on the theme of the Created becoming the Creator, creating a new creation to kill one's creator. I hope this isn't the case as the Space Jockey (Engineers) basically being humans still feels like a letdown. The Alien being the pet project of an oddball Pinocchioish android kind of feels like a double-whammy.

Then on the other hand, Ridley is brave for "killing his darlings" in order to create something new and 'improved'. The twist that everything that we found mysterious in the original (ALIEN) was in fact all related to and created by 'humans' (counting human made androids and our human cousins the Engineers), is kind of an anticlimax. It's interesting and an unexpected twist, but an anticlimactic twist nonetheless.

I know that some people have been saying that David didn't create the Xenomorph from scratch per se but merely used the black goo and some ancient blueprints to (re)design and breed the Xenomorph. To me this doesn't make much of a difference. If it's created by 'humans' it can also be eradicated by 'humans', theoretically. To me that is a problem as it makes the Alien less mysterious, primordial and enigmatic. I always imagined the Xenomorph to be as old as the Universe - a remnant from another time or dimension even.

Still psyched by the movie and I can't wait to watch it no matter if David is the creator of the Xenomorphs or not!
[close]
Spoiler
agree,most dangerous alien creature in the universe made by crazy robot who playing god ? And he can control them ? this is horrible than retcon hicks alive nobody accept it
[close]

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: windebieste on May 07, 2017, 03:13:15 AM
Ah... It's just the pulse rifle, Ripley lovin' gang that can't get past 1986 complaining again. 

*hand wave*  Just leave 'em back there, smouldering in last Century woes.  They're never going to be happy.

Each new iteration of 'ALIEN 3' gets better each time it hits the home entertainment circuit.  That last BluRay version was the meat!.  As for classic..?  I can't tell you one other Sci Fi movie released in 1992 that even gets talked about any more.

'ALIEN 3' had to fight to get the recognition it now deserves.  I'm all for it being recognised as a classic.  Earned its place, it has.

-Windebieste.

Spot on and well put - bravo! *sincere applause*

cucuchu

cucuchu

Quote from: gantarat on May 07, 2017, 03:40:45 AM

Eight? You mean SIXTH, right? AVP is a separate franchise from the Alien franchise. Unfortunately the stink from the AVP movies have managed to stick to the Alien movies somehow. Hopefully there won't be anymore AVP movies for a long time to come and we can all hope that A:C is as good as it seems like. Hopefully A:C and its sequels will wash away the AVP reek, and by that time A3 and A:R will have ten more years or so to mature in the minds of their former haters as they might, by that time, be ready to digest them both, or at least A3.

Spoiler
reading some of these reviews online it sure sounds like David is the creator of the Alien. It feels like Ridley chose to sacrifice the mythic and mystery-ridden primordial aspect of the Alien's nature in order to harp on the theme of the Created becoming the Creator, creating a new creation to kill one's creator. I hope this isn't the case as the Space Jockey (Engineers) basically being humans still feels like a letdown. The Alien being the pet project of an oddball Pinocchioish android kind of feels like a double-whammy.

Then on the other hand, Ridley is brave for "killing his darlings" in order to create something new and 'improved'. The twist that everything that we found mysterious in the original (ALIEN) was in fact all related to and created by 'humans' (counting human made androids and our human cousins the Engineers), is kind of an anticlimax. It's interesting and an unexpected twist, but an anticlimactic twist nonetheless.

I know that some people have been saying that David didn't create the Xenomorph from scratch per se but merely used the black goo and some ancient blueprints to (re)design and breed the Xenomorph. To me this doesn't make much of a difference. If it's created by 'humans' it can also be eradicated by 'humans', theoretically. To me that is a problem as it makes the Alien less mysterious, primordial and enigmatic. I always imagined the Xenomorph to be as old as the Universe - a remnant from another time or dimension even.

Still psyched by the movie and I can't wait to watch it no matter if David is the creator of the Xenomorphs or not!
[close]
Spoiler
agree,most dangerous alien creature in the universe made by crazy robot who playing god ? And he can control them ? this is horrible than retcon hicks alive nobody accept it
[close]

Well, according to Ridley Scott, we have not yet arrived to the point of the true,unhinged Xeno. I imagine that Xeno becomes AWAKENED in the next movie titled 'Awakening'. Just a thought. Ridley not making that clear through the film and rather simply being something stated during an interview might have been an oversight. I won't see the film until the 18th so I will see if any if this makes sense!

Alien Runner

Alien Runner finds it amusing that ppl are still in a state of denial over King David's involvement. 😂

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: Dkwookie on May 07, 2017, 02:40:19 AM
Quote from: Xenomorphine on May 07, 2017, 02:25:52 AM

7 out of 10 is Force Awakens, competent fan service with layers of nostalgia for non super fans including old actors appearing.
9 out of 10 is Rogue One, new ideas layered into existing story with a different but similar vibe to the earlier films

I would be happy with 7,8 or 9 but that's from an Alien fan who would say Alien 3 is a 7 and Resurection a 6. Of course Alien and Aliens are a 10
Actually The Force Awakens is 3 out of 10. Rogue One a 5 out of 10... but yeah. 😊

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed