Predator: Hunting Grounds Trial Weekend Thread

Started by Corporal Hicks, Mar 27, 2020, 07:07:52 PM

Author
Predator: Hunting Grounds Trial Weekend Thread (Read 21,445 times)

Vulhala

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 28, 2020, 04:47:49 PM
PS4

What's your Epic Games ID? I'll add you on there as I'm glorious PCMR.

acrediblesource

Only had one glitch throughout my play through of several games. One time there was a mission called "Make the Transfer" ...then no objective marker was there and so all my guys were just walking around aimlessly.

shadowedge

What are your impressions of Predator Hunting Grounds Weekend Trial?

Here is my review of the Weekend Trial so far:

Platform: PC.

Predator Pros:
-Movement is very fluid especially in the trees. Good job with the Predkour.
-Weapons all feel powerful. The plasma caster and combistick especially. 
-the gear all adds something useful.
-Predator is appropriately tanky but not too OP. 1 vs 1 or 1 vs 2 the predator wins with no problem but teamwork can bring him down.
-Excellent use of vision modes and cloaking to be effective.
-The female Predator looks menacing and tough. Not rail thin. Good job!
-Also this game makes the term "yautja" so front and center. Very good to me!
-If you play like a Predator and use stealth you will do much better then just going in all guns a blazing. Makes you feel like a Predator on the hunt.

Predator Cons:
-Some mouse controls feel off and not as responsive.
-Cannot leap into a tree even if it is red. Would make Predkour easier.
-Wrist blades could use a buff.
-It is hard to find out where to go in order to find the fireteam. Wish the minimap was more helpful.
- Sometimes trophies kills are bugged.

Fireteam Pros:
-Teamwork makes the dream work!
-Weapon variations are good.
-It is fun playing against AI enemies while also fighting the Predator.
-the classes add a nice balancing act.

Fireteam Cons:
-Some lack of things to do.
-no text chat for teamwork.

Wishlist for things to be added in the future:
-A proper text based chat for the fireteam.
-Predator sniper speargun like in AvP and Predator 2.
-Wish you could customize the plasma caster. Like the thinner one in Predator 2 rather then the default bulky Predator 1 style.
-Expand the Predator arsenal a little bit more. Some original weapons and even some borrowed from other games or the EU novels and comics.
-A proper single player. Even if it just a few hours or randomized. The offline single player Predator tutorial was very fun! Surprisingly so! I would pay extra $ for this. This will keep it alive for years to come because multiplayer only games often don't last many years.
-fix the matchmaking. Takes so very long to join a game.
-Someday put on Steam to reach a larger playerbase.
-Add some more game modes. Possibly Predator vs Predator? Or 2 predators vs 8 humans? No time limit mode? Not just get to the chopper mode. This will keep things from getting stale over time.

Overall rating: 9/10. Very solid game so far! Looks beautiful too. You can tell a lot of real love and care was put into this game. Even expands on the lore without damaging it like some of the newer movies did. OWLF is back! Introduces female yautja to mainstream canon! Pays respect and borrows good elements from all the movies in some way not just Predator 1.

With a little tweaking and additions it can be a 10/10. So far the best Predator game by far. It's not even close. Even better then Concrete Jungle which was also very good. I am so incredibly impressed with the game as it both a genuinly good video game and also as a lifelong fan of the Predator series and EU comics and novels. Well done Illfonic!

The Shuriken

I couldnt get into a single match. So I played the tutorial a few times. Gameplay as the Predator is really smooth and fun.

Vulhala

I'm enjoying it so far, although I agree with you re the mouse movement feeling very 'muddy' in certain situations, such as aiming the cannon. And the queue times are a bit of a joke, but that's to be expected of most MP games in Beta tbh. Even COD still has problems with it after ~13yrs.

I like that there seems to be quite a lot of customisation options. The pred movement, as you said, feels very fluid. It's definitely a solid effort. A lot of potential there, for sure.

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

Very good points -
note: there is an ingame speach by pressing (up) select from a bunch like "complete the objective!" stuff like that. I think audio chat is a little annoying but i think you should have the option to be completely deaf and just use ingame speach. Text would be impossible. I think the Speach button should be actually L3 or L2 instead because those are most accessible.

There are some moments of complete stall (screen stall) during gamplay.
Prior to a game, waiting for  a match isn't too bad, i'm sure they  have optimized it to the point where the only thing you're waiting for are actual people to join.

There are also the waiting room narration and sometimes that gets cut off because of the count down.

PS4: I would expecially would like the AA to be more better because there is so much artificial film grain that I find it impossible to see the predator. But i guess that is what makes it good in a way? I'm indifferent about that.

molasar

Quote from: shadowedge on Mar 28, 2020, 04:55:56 PM
-It is hard to find out where to go in order to find the fireteam. Wish the minimap was more helpful.

Fireteam Cons:
-Some lack of things to do.
-no text chat for teamwork.

Wishlist for things to be added in the future:
-A proper text based chat for the fireteam.

Have you used an isolation option to find the fireteam?

Do you have enough time to do all mandatory mission objectives and side ones at the same time fighting Pred?

Why do you need a text chat if you can use mics or a communication wheel or both?

Darkness

Well, I like it a lot from the few games I've played. I think I prefer playing as the Fireteam but the parkour that the Predator has is pretty impressive. The graphics are very nice though I'm noticing a lot of screen tearing even with vsync on. Seems to be very little in the way of graphical settings.

As was the problem with the AvP demo, the long matchmaking is killing it for me.

Vulhala

Vulhala

Quote from: Darkness on Mar 28, 2020, 05:33:56 PM
Seems to be very little in the way of graphical settings.

I noticed that. In fact, apart from VSync and the FOV slider, they're non-existent.

QuoteAs was the problem with the AvP demo, the long matchmaking is killing it for me.

I've found that it's slightly improved if you turn crossplay on. I had mine set to PC only to begin with and didn't even notice.

razeak

Well if they pull this off how about an Alien game in a similar vein. Weak weapons ala the original film and objectives to complete. Like Friday but not as buggy lol.

Deathbearer

Kind of underwhelmed so far. Xp doesn't seem to be adding up in my bar so that sucks.

Vulhala

Quote from: Deathbearer on Mar 28, 2020, 07:44:44 PM
Kind of underwhelmed so far. Xp doesn't seem to be adding up in my bar so that sucks.

Mine got to lvl5 and stopped. Maybe it's capped?

Kailem

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 28, 2020, 02:07:52 PM
Anyone fancy joining RidgeTop and I in around 3 or 4 hours for a party of the stream?

I can hop on in about an hour and a half/two hours or so if you're still on and/or don't already have a full party.

That sucks about that glitch, Voodoo. Someone I was playing with the other night said they ran into that too. At least like Hicks said there's nothing special you unlock for completing it, and that trophy claim part is the last thing you have to do, so essentially you've finished it even if you're not getting credit for it.

Bugs like these are certainly annoying, but hopefully they'll have sorted them out by the time the full game rolls round.

So far I've been having fun with it. Obviously you cant go in expecting a AAA game, but I've enjoyed my matches as both the Predator and the fire team. It's fun as the humans being able to hear the Predator and looking around for it in the trees, not knowing when it might strike. And of course the Predator is great fun to stalk people with, especially when you unlock more of the weapons. I love nailing people with a combistick throw.

The customisation options for the Predator were a bit more extensive than I expected too, which was nice. Getting to choose the colour of their dreadlocks was not something I expected to be able to do!

So yeah, definitely been enjoying it thus far, despite the obvious annoyances like matchmaking times and some bugs here and there.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Vulhala on Mar 28, 2020, 07:50:57 PM
Quote from: Deathbearer on Mar 28, 2020, 07:44:44 PM

Mine got to lvl5 and stopped. Maybe it's capped?

I think 25 is the cap. That's where I've hit and stopped advancing. That also seems to be the last unlock level for anything in the trial.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Kailem on Mar 28, 2020, 07:56:42 PM
I can hop on in about an hour and a half/two hours or so if you're still on and/or don't already have a full party.

I've just come off for a bit now, but if I jump back on and you're on, I'll send you a message.

QuoteBugs like these are certainly annoying, but hopefully they'll have sorted them out by the time the full game rolls round.

It looks like they're encouraging feedback and bug reporting on their community site, so I think they're all in on finding out about the issues.

QuoteThe customisation options for the Predator were a bit more extensive than I expected too, which was nice. Getting to choose the colour of their dreadlocks was not something I expected to be able to do!

I was taken by surprised at that customisation! Very pleasantly so! Looking forward to seeing if they've got more in store in the full game.

QuoteSo yeah, definitely been enjoying it thus far, despite the obvious annoyances like matchmaking times and some bugs here and there.

Me too! It's certainly got some issues, but nothing that would have me raging out about the game. The matchmaking has been the most frustrating aspect of the trial so far, but the matchmaking seems to have improved greatly over the last 4 or so hours.

Now I've figured out that melee is the parry button for the Fireteam, actually been managing to parry some Predator attacks and its super f**king satisfying.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed