Flaws of Isolation

Started by Kradan, Mar 20, 2019, 03:05:09 PM

Author
Flaws of Isolation (Read 29,509 times)

razeak

razeak

Too long. Too many Working Joe encounters later. I know it's one of my favorite games ever, but I could never play all the way through again

This game has checkpoints? I don't remember that.

Huggs

Huggs

The only flaw I ever honestly noticed was when I would watch it attack somebody. It would get right up on them and then the animation would skip forward so it could load the character physically interacting with the monster.

Kradan

Jonesome

Jonesome

I have always been bothered by aspects of Isolation's gameplay design and story. For one I think there is a lack of interactivity in the environment that hurts some of the immersion. You look at a horror game like Amnesia or Soma, you can pick up individual items and observe every inch of them. You can manipulate the physics of the environment to complete tasks or deter the monster. With Isolation everything feels pinned down, and the game limits what you can perform. You can't pick up any weapons except in scripted locations, and you cannot jump over objects. As a result the game also feels clunky and slow.

The design of the vents also stuck out on repeated play throughs. They often felt like random connecting hallways between rooms that didn't exist for a practical reason, instead of their own vast network that could have acted like another sub level to the map.

I thought the creature itself was excellent, and I only ever became aware of the rubber-banding occasionally, although the loud footsteps did remove some of the stealthy mystique of the original monster. However, there are mods out there that fix both of these issues, so it's not a huge negative.

The story was the weakest aspect of the game for me, although it had an intriguing setup with finding the Nostromo black box and investigating its disappearance. However, I think the plot would have been more novel  if the initial infestation was a result of the original "Big Chap"  Alien from the first film making its way on board Sevastopol, and not just the result of people going down again to the Derelict. And if Amanda hadn't been related to Ripley at all.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Jonesome on Jun 23, 2019, 08:29:42 AM
...I think the plot would have been more novel  if the initial infestation was a result of the original "Big Chap"  Alien from the first film making its way on board Sevastopol,..

Yeah, i think that would be cool indeed 'cause Big Chap is still floating somewhere in vacuum.

The Old One

The Old One

Novel, but ridiculous.

razeak

razeak

The Amanda connection works in story so it doesn't bother me. Someone in the company was being nice for once. Her mother went missing. Easy connection.

I think it fits nearly. I scoffed.at the idea when the game was announced.  The implementation was fine.

Still Collating...

Still Collating...

Agreed.

Since this is a flaws thread... I understand why Stompy is so stompy, but they should've given us an option, a slider for how loud or silent his footsteps are. I will never get over that. :laugh: And it's not bad, but out of all the alien noises we've heard, in game or movie, the pig sounding scream the Alien makes when he charges you is definitely not my favorite.

And the obvious ingame facial animations and lip sync were just bad for 2014. We don't have a lot of time close to other characters in the game and the dark lighting does help, so I understand why they didn't want to focus their resources there, but when you do see those faces, it is hilarious sometimes.

The Old One

The Old One

Yeah, it's unfortunate about the cutscenes, rendered @ 30FPS, undeniably not a good decision.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Still Collating... on Jul 20, 2019, 10:45:33 AM
And the obvious ingame facial animations and lip sync were just bad for 2014. We don't have a lot of time close to other characters in the game and the dark lighting does help, so I understand why they didn't want to focus their resources there, but when you do see those faces, it is hilarious sometimes.

Were any of these issues fixed for that Isolation web series?

The Old One

The Old One

Unbelievably, no.

Still Collating...

The cutscenes are gold in comparison to the gameplay faces, tragic is the soul of the person who looks upon those dead eyes. Extreme doses of Botox must be popular in the future.

The Old One

The Old One

I prefer the gameplay face animation, purely because it isn't as upfront.

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: The Old One on Jul 20, 2019, 02:58:06 PM
Unbelievably, no.
If anything the web series was worse...

Still Collating...

Quote from: The Old One on Jul 20, 2019, 08:30:51 PM
I prefer the gameplay face animation, purely because it isn't as upfront.

You're right there, in such instances I can turn away and pretend the speaker is actually emoting with that poor poor face.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed