When can we expect news about Alien: Covenant sequel?

Started by Daszkowski, Sep 17, 2017, 10:46:53 PM

Author
When can we expect news about Alien: Covenant sequel? (Read 72,167 times)

Daszkowski

So "Alien: Covenant" opened in Japan this weekend to $2,6M. After all is said and done it's worldwide cume will be around $250M. Blu-Ray discs are selling well judging by homemediamagazine.com reports (Alien: Covenant Blu-Ray Sales Chart Run: 1-2-4-5). Ridley will release his new movie "All the money in the world" in about 2-3 months so I guess someone WILL ask him about "Covenant" sequel.

Do you think that we will know by the end of year if sequel is still possible?

Source:
Japan Box Office Gross
http://deadline.com/2017/09/war-for-the-planet-of-the-apes-china-opening-it-movie-spider-man-homecoming-mother-international-box-office-1202171328/)

Blu-Ray sales + Rentals
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/category/hmm/news/research/top-sellers)

Nukiemorph

I've been waiting on Ridley interviews for All the Monet in the World... but sadly, he might be in the dark too.

Still, he's closer to the studio and the project than any of us, so hopefully he'll know something.

whiterabbit

I wonder if he really has a script for Awaking or just said he did to shut up the studio. I know this is Scott but the man did say Awaking was a prequel to Covenant.

Baron Von Marlon

I guess towards the end of the year. That's when Ridley's current movie's finished.

From Imdb: All The Money In The World release date: USA 16 November 2017 (AFI Fest) and USA 8 December 2017.

Give or take 1,5 year to make the next Alien movie, brings us to 2019, the supposed release year for Alien: Awakenings
More precise, it's May 2019, which could be possible since Covenant was released in May as well.

Micheal Fassbender has two upcoming projects: The Snowman (post-production) 2017 and  X-Men: Dark Phoenix (filming) 2018.
So it's possible he's available around the time All The Money In The World's finished.
And there's no mention of any other upcoming movies on his Imdb page, which I find a little odd for an actor of his calibre.

So fingers crossed...

Highland

I don't think the current Covenant ending totally screams for a sequel the more I've thought about it. They might just go the full reboot.

Scorpio

If they reboot it now they'll ruin the series. 

Highland

Quote from: Scorpio on Sep 18, 2017, 07:23:50 AM
If they reboot it now they'll ruin the series. 

What would be ruined about it? We know most of what Scott set out to do. Who is the Space Jockey and where did the Alien come from have both been answered. Personally I'm not that fussed about finding out who crashed the original derelict.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Daszkowski on Sep 17, 2017, 10:46:53 PM

We're likely looking at when Scott is doing the press rounds for All The Money in the World towards the end of the year. This should also mean Fox has a clearer picture of the final takings with home release in there too.

Quote from: Highland on Sep 18, 2017, 06:42:45 AM
I don't think the current Covenant ending totally screams for a sequel the more I've thought about it. They might just go the full reboot.

While I think we wont escape a full reboot/remake at some point, I don't think we're at that point just yet. I wouldn't be adverse to them dropping Scott and going for a soft reboot with someone new.

Highland

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 18, 2017, 08:54:14 AM
Quote from: Daszkowski on Sep 17, 2017, 10:46:53 PM

We're likely looking at when Scott is doing the press rounds for All The Money in the World towards the end of the year. This should also mean Fox has a clearer picture of the final takings with home release in there too.

Quote from: Highland on Sep 18, 2017, 06:42:45 AM

While I think we wont escape a full reboot/remake at some point, I don't think we're at that point just yet. I wouldn't be adverse to them dropping Scott and going for a soft reboot with someone new.

Someone else finishing Scott's story? I don't think that would work. I think for me it's only Covenant sequel with Scott or hard reboot.

Problem with the reboot is you're probably not getting anything for 5+ years.

PsyKore

I think a reboot would cop so much hate from fans. Look at the shoes it has to fill. It will satisfy no-one. The nit-picking and hatred towards it would be ten times what Covenant gets thrown at it.

Corporal Hicks

I just means in terms of a new film, set within the same continuity, but with a new bunch of a characters and situation, in some other region of the galaxy. Hopefully it'll be helmed with someone with a little more care about the over-all lore and universe.

Highland

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 18, 2017, 09:27:39 AM
I just means in terms of a new film, set within the same continuity, but with a new bunch of a characters and situation, in some other region of the galaxy. Hopefully it'll be helmed with someone with a little more care about the over-all lore and universe.

Yeah I think that's fine. There's plenty of good story's in the comics that are off somewhere else with different characters. I'm quite happy ignoring Alien 3 and 4 in terms of not finding the Alien anywhere else inside that same time period.

Deadmeat

Not to be "that guy" but do you really believe that might happen?

Corporal Hicks

I think the odds of that are as good as the other options.

T Dog

I really wouldn't have as much of an issue with the lore of the new movies if they were just set after the original trilogy or just adjacent to the original trilogy without ever crossing over with it.....cause Ridley is butchering what he started. And before people jump in and say that's his right he created the series STOP.....he did NOT write Alien nor any of the sequels. He storyboarded it, got the budget doubled and then hired great artists to flesh put his storyboards. Even with the art department he only curated the artists for the human elements while O Bannon curated Giger for the Alien parts.

These movies need someone who doesnt piss through them as if they are on a line production conveyor belt as Ridley now makes movies. Maybe Denis Villeneuve will be free after Dune to make Alien great again!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed