Alien movies to be retconned?

Started by shakermakerman, Sep 29, 2014, 12:30:59 PM

Author
Alien movies to be retconned? (Read 20,354 times)

Visceral_Mass

At this point I would love it if Fox decided to do a remake/reboot of the franchise, providing they actually have a long term plan like many other studios are doing with their franchises. There is still a lot of potential in this franchise (despite what Ridley Scott says) as long as Fox doesn't half-ass it

Jango1201

Jango1201

Ripley's story is finished. Shes a walking Jesus metaphor with her beginning (Alien) life (Aliens) death and resurrection. If ever another alien movie is considered, It needs to be a fresh story with maybe some hints to the previous films. And no fan wank hints either, I want hints that are relevant and legit to the plot. If the story was about revisiting LV-426 100 years later, a mention of the marines and their ill fated mission could be mentioned. Just enough reference to give us the bumps but nothing more. 

Local Trouble

Quote from: Jango1201 on Oct 03, 2014, 01:42:17 AMRipley's story is finished. Shes a walking Jesus metaphor with her beginning (Alien) life (Aliens) death and resurrection.

Alien 5 could be her Second Coming to save the world during an alien apocalypse?

Gash

Gash

But it's science fiction not fantasy.

Born Of Cold Light

If they ever did retcon Aliens, I want the creatures from the arcade game to be featured.

Jango1201

Jango1201

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 03, 2014, 06:39:43 PM
Quote from: Jango1201 on Oct 03, 2014, 01:42:17 AMRipley's story is finished. Shes a walking Jesus metaphor with her beginning (Alien) life (Aliens) death and resurrection.

Alien 5 could be her Second Coming to save the world during an alien apocalypse?

I think that would be a little over the top. Plus the alien apocalypse has already happened years before her resurrection so shes a little late.

Born Of Cold Light

Quote from: Jango1201 on Oct 04, 2014, 02:56:53 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 03, 2014, 06:39:43 PM

I think that would be a little over the top. Plus the alien apocalypse has already happened years before her resurrection so shes a little late.

Really?  When?

Russ

Russ

I've been thinking about this along with the TV show discussion elsewhere on the forum.

On the one hand I don't think there's any need for a retcon. I initially hated what they did with AL III EN, but they did what they did and it totally fits. It might be a shit way for Hicks and Newt to go out but there we have it.

What really muddies the water for me is the abomination of Alien Resurrection. The big deletion and all that crap. I'd love to have that movie deleted because it makes its own internal logic work with the bullshit deletion and Ripley clones and all that crap, but of course wrecks it everything else (I bet they've dealt with that in the EU stuff?).

On the other hand, saying that Hicks, Newt and Ripley sailed off into the sunset and retired to a farming planet somewhere feels better. It serves a jumping off point for new adventures that has some connection to the old stories. I think the connection is key.

For instance - Superman Returns really felt like a sequel (threequel?) to Superman II. Even though there were different actors and it was many years after the event, it had that connection (the music, Lex's land obsession, Spacey's take on Hackman's portrayal, Routh's Reeve-a-like - it worked. Despite the rubbish costume and a mis-cast Lois).

The Aliens universe is huge and we know that the EU stuff has proven that you can have totally unrelated stories, but for me, I love a bit referencing and connection to the source.

So whilst we don't need a retcon - I'd like one. But that's purely subjective - I'm confident that retconned or not, there are more stories to be told on big and small screen.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Jango1201 on Oct 04, 2014, 02:56:53 AMI think that would be a little over the top. Plus the alien apocalypse has already happened years before her resurrection so shes a little late.

Except Resurrection specifically says there's been no contact with the Xenomorphs between Alien 3 and then.

Jango1201

Jango1201

I was referencing the EU.

Perfect-Organism

I invite everyone who is interested in a continuation of the series where Aliens left off to join the Facebook fanpage in support of this idea here:

https://www.facebook.com/Aliens.Continuity.Change

Also, this topic was earlier discussed on this forum here:

"Aliens Continuity Change"

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=51020.60

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

What if we actively hate the idea of rectonning the films just because fanboys want an Aliens 2?

Perfect-Organism

You are welcome to set up your own facebook, twitter, or whatever page to promote your idea.  It's 2014, the options are limitless.  But in a world where bad press is good press, the net result is that you will be promoting the Aliens retcon anyway.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 06, 2014, 12:59:07 PM
What if we actively hate the idea of rectonning the films just because fanboys want an Aliens 2?

irn

irn

I'm more than happy to have Resurrection retconned out of existence but Alien 3, for me personally at least, is a good film and a  fantastic ending to the Ripley story arc.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

I think the franchises (Predator included) are suffering because of retcons. I started to lose hope for the canon/continuity when Aliens: Colonial Marines came out. And that hope is pretty much dwindling further and further since the old EU was tossed in favor for a new one for Prometheus's sequel films.

Retconning the continuity is such bull, if you ask me and it excludes fans who enjoyed certain particular stories. I was genuinely surprised to learn that Alien 3 and Resurrection were considered for the chopping block. Alien 3 and Resurrection do have a lot of hate for them, though I'd think the former.. fans started to forgive Alien 3. Resurrection? From what I know, not many fans forgive it but the movie does have it's fans.

Enough of the damn retconning.. If anything move those stories to an AU and they'd still be somehow canon in the grand scheme of things. Wasn't Colonial Marines enough of a retcon disaster as it was and still is?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed