Alien movies to be retconned?

Started by shakermakerman, Sep 29, 2014, 12:30:59 PM

Author
Alien movies to be retconned? (Read 20,323 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Completely baseless and utterly pointless.

They're movies. Just make do and move on if you don't like them.

shakermakerman

Love alien 3 , don't care too much for resurection.

Russ

Russ

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Sep 29, 2014, 12:43:27 PM

Sure, but WB retconned Superman III and IV for 'Returns.

Fox could do the same if there was financial mileage in it (and I don't see why there wouldn't be). I was intrigued by the idea of this to be honest.

I think Nicole Kidman would be a great post-Aliens Ripley. I saw a film with her... oh... yes! Dead Calm and I was amazed at how much I thought she resembled Alien-era Weaver. Not that physical resemblance should be the main thing, of course, but you know, in the name of stunt-casting and all that...

Of course, a ret-con probably won't happen, but it would be really nice if it did. Maybe off the back of the Aliens TV show we were postulating earlier *lol* It'll be like Marvel only better!

SM

SM

I wouldn't have been so kind.

What utter drivel.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Place one vote into the hell yea lets retcon alienĀ³ and A|R pile. However, the damage has already been done. Let's just move on to making better alien movies that people would love to watch. I'd prefer them to be horror/sci-fi rather than a romantic drama though.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Quote from: SM on Sep 29, 2014, 08:29:05 PM
What utter drivel.

Pretty much, not to mention that James Moore has pretty much confirmed that Fox changed their minds about retconning those films when they made him work A3 and A:R into Sea of Sorrows.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

I'd like to see who the source of this rumour is.

The synopsis written there has potential, but considering how creatively bankrupt 'Colonial Marines' and 'Prometheus' turned out to be, I'd be very apprehensive about this. It'd be a real gamble and the writing would have to be top drawer for the characterisations of Ripley, Hicks and Newt.

Retcons are always a very high stakes game. You could erase something which you consider to have been poorly done, but at the potential expense fo replacing it with something worse.

The synopsis has legs, however... If it's done right, I wouldn't be averse and the magically appearing egg, Sulaco's cryotubes reverting to he style of the Nostromo's and Ripley's literal metamorphosis into being part-Alien, all have the obvious elements of a dream. 'Isolation' is, if nothing else, also demonstrating there's a large appetite out there for something made in the style of the originals and could easily be used as a stylistic template.

Huge gamble, though. I'm not sure who I'd feel safe with helming such a project.

Honestly, a part of me has always been fond of that original 'Alien 3' trailer: "On Earth, everyone can hear you scream..." :)

SM

SM

We all know perfectly well that there are no plans to retcon Alien3 and Resurrection (or just Resurrection), but the article, without a shred of evidence tries to suggest that it's something that Fox might be considering.

Because X-Men kinda, sorta did it?

QuoteI'd like to see who the source of this rumour is.

I can't get the page to load again for some reason, but what rumour?  I don't actually recall seeing anything in the piece that even alluded to a rumour.

It's simply wank, and any mention of writing off films as dreams is 20+ year old wank.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

If Weaver ends up doing a 5th film.. it'll be with her as an older Ripley 8.

Fans will just have to "deal with it".

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Russ on Sep 29, 2014, 03:22:26 PM

Sure, but WB retconned Superman III and IV for 'Returns.

By their very nature it's almost expected that a comic book movie franchise gets some sort of update or overhaul every so often. It happens in the comics all the time.

With the Alien films, each one is very much its own thing. They're sequels following up on one another and continuing a narrative, sure, but they are also, for the most part, pretty self contained stories and a product of the unique circumstances that went into making each one. Each film reflects (or, in the case of Alien 3, somewhat subverts) the very specific visions that the creative teams involved had in mind. I'm much more interested in these differing products and the reflections of the people that made them than I am in somebody's desire to knock the latter ones out of continuity and [probably] just retread Aliens.

Gash

Gash

God I hope not. If you want an 80's style action flick that's what The Expendables is for.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I expect a reboot that simply ignores what isn't liked about the Alien franchises.

Retconning though would be pretty stupid. 

If you have to retcon something you are out of ideas and have hit creative bankruptcy.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Why would it even need to be retconned? Just use different characters at a different time like Prometheus did.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

indeed pirate

indeed

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed