Alien Isolation 2 possibly in development at CA.....

Started by Adam802, Apr 25, 2017, 07:46:23 PM

Author
Alien Isolation 2 possibly in development at CA..... (Read 8,497 times)

Adam802

reecebomb

Please be true. C-A understands Alien better than Ridley nowadays.

The Joker

The Joker

Fingers crossed.

Sales were an issue with Alien Isolation, but why not make the sequel have a more compact story and sell it for $30? That's the exact price that Outlast 2 is currently going for and it's likely going to sell very well and it's a similar type of game. The previous game could have had a few missions cut out and it still would have been a satisfying experience. Either that or they would have to put multiplayer into the game, which I'd rather they not.

PsyKore

Quote from: reecebomb on Apr 25, 2017, 08:50:18 PM
C-A understands Alien better than Ridley nowadays.

Until I see a Ridley Scott Alien stomping around like a dinosaur, then no they don't.

reecebomb

Quote from: PsyKore on Apr 26, 2017, 12:54:04 AM

Until I see a Ridley Scott Alien stomping around like a dinosaur, then no they don't.

The alien itself has plenty of room for improvements, the stompwalk and some of the noises bothered me too, but it also had it's moments (mostly scripted) when it moved slowly and gracefully, that's when the alien creature is the most effective and what makes it scary. Alien Covenant so far has this ultra agressive animal with rabies, although it remains to be seen if the final film will deliver.
But the Alien:Isolation didn't succeed only with the alien creature itself, the environments and atmosphere, the feel were far better than what was shown in Prometheus or Covenant (so far). Isolation is the best thing the franchise has given us after Alien 3.

Darkness

Eurogamer has just quashed the rumour: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-04-26-alien-isolation-2-rumour-isnt-true

Apparently the majority of the Alien Isolation design team no longer work for Creative Assembly.

426Buddy

#heartbroken

The Cruentus

While I too would have liked a sequel, it might be for the best. Alien: Isolation works as a standalone game, sequels are a roll of the dice and we could end up with another A:CM.
A:I redeemed the franchise somewhat, I don't  think it would be wise to risk it just to make some money and please some fans. A high note is good way to leave things.

Valaquen

I was hoping they could come back and advance the series. Isolation was amazing but I don't want a repeat. I wish they'd do a real Aliens kind of thing: make the weaponry a burden, make the player dependent on each member of your team (in Aliens, Hudson's specialty seemed to be maps, unlocking doors, etc; other people were designated smartgunners, logistics etc. That could work well in a game.) If you watch Aliens you realise that without motion trackers the Marines had no chance at all. They would be sitting in Operations and the Aliens would just drop on them. Isolation had to make the Alien very loud: take that away. Imagine turning around to see the corridors being silently swarmed: firing your gun means you waste ammo, and might harm your team mates or the environment in harmful ways.

Resident Evil: Outbreak had some good ideas regarding this: building impediments and nailing shut doors.

Just riffing but I think C.A. can do Aliens justice. You can make an intelligent, tense, and scary FPS type game if you don't approach it purely as an FPS.

Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep

I'm disappointed, but sadly not very surprised by the news.

windebieste

Awww... No more Stompy.  So sad.

AAA video game production is often much like making AAA movies.  Talent is hired, usually under contract to create the experience and gets paid.  Once it is finished, everyone parties, shakes hands and says goodbye.

CA may pick up a sequel one day but you won't see exactly the same team working on a sequel to this game, anyway. 

-Windebieste.

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: The Joker on Apr 25, 2017, 11:59:41 PM
Fingers crossed.

Sales were an issue with Alien Isolation, but why not make the sequel have a more compact story and sell it for $30? That's the exact price that Outlast 2 is currently going for and it's likely going to sell very well and it's a similar type of game.

The sales thing still seems bizarre to me. 2.1 million in six months is generally something to be very proud of.

My understanding is that they needed to recoup the cost of licencing several games, but both AvP3 and Colonial Marines have sold in the two million region to date (Isolation's around 3 million now, it's at 2.42m without counting Steam sales). None of these games were commercial failures.

I can only think that the licence must have been massively overpriced.

(Edit: clarified the numbers.)

PsyKore

Quote from: reecebomb on Apr 26, 2017, 10:19:19 AM
Quote from: PsyKore on Apr 26, 2017, 12:54:04 AM

The alien itself has plenty of room for improvements, the stompwalk and some of the noises bothered me too, but it also had it's moments (mostly scripted) when it moved slowly and gracefully, that's when the alien creature is the most effective and what makes it scary. Alien Covenant so far has this ultra agressive animal with rabies, although it remains to be seen if the final film will deliver.
But the Alien:Isolation didn't succeed only with the alien creature itself, the environments and atmosphere, the feel were far better than what was shown in Prometheus or Covenant (so far). Isolation is the best thing the franchise has given us after Alien 3.

In that case I agree with you. And I loved it too when the Alien moved slow and silently. I only saw it happen very few times (outside of scripts), but it was so unnerving when it happened.

Quote from: Vertigo on Apr 27, 2017, 12:33:56 AM
Quote from: The Joker on Apr 25, 2017, 11:59:41 PM
Fingers crossed.

Sales were an issue with Alien Isolation, but why not make the sequel have a more compact story and sell it for $30? That's the exact price that Outlast 2 is currently going for and it's likely going to sell very well and it's a similar type of game.

The sales thing still seems bizarre to me. 2.1 million is generally something to be very proud of. My understanding is that they needed to recoup the cost of licencing several games, but both AvP3 and Colonial Marines sold well over a million copies. None of these games were commercial failures.

I can only think that the licence must have been massively overpriced.

I would think 2 million is an accomplishment, myself. It reminds me of when Tomb Raiders sales were said to be disappointing, but that even sold more IIRC.

proto leech

proto leech

Quote from: PsyKore link=topic=57056.msg2203054#msg2203054
I would think 2 million is an accomplishmen
, myself. It reminds me of when Tomb Raiders sales were said to be disappointing, but that even sold more IIRC.

Sega seemed to think they were gonna sell COD numbers with their niche horror game. It did pretty well for the type of game it was and it had an uphill battle to convince buyers after gearbox f**ked up so tremendously.

Shame about the sequel rumors i was hype for a second

reecebomb

That's a damn shame!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed