ALIEN: Out of the Shadows (Novel 1)

Started by Darwinsgirl, Jun 01, 2013, 03:49:43 AM

Author
ALIEN: Out of the Shadows (Novel 1) (Read 147,982 times)

Kimarhi

I always thought they were all just going to pile in to the one tube since it already showed it could support more than one life sign.  (Jonesy!)

But I'm sure SM will know if anybody cares enough to ask him. 

Xenomrph

If I remember right, the Narcissus had 2 tubes, and the idea was that two people would hibernate (thus not drawing on any life support) while the unlucky third person rides along fully awake. I'd have to check the USCM Tech Manual, it gives specs on the Narcissus.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Hmmm, I just reviewed the section in the Alien movie and Ripley just says, "the shuttle won't take 4".  My bad.  But since they don't make any fuss about it whatsoever once Ash is "eliminated", one has to assume that there was space for 3.  Nitpicking?  Flaws aside, it was a very fun read.  Tim Lebbon's style captured the essence of both first films.  A page turner..

I think the "Dog Aliens" may have been alluded to in the Prometheus film.  If you notice on the murals inside the ampule room (where the big noggin is), there is a painting of an engineer and a dog alien of sorts.  Wonder if they're the same.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Feb 11, 2014, 11:41:30 PM
I think the "Dog Aliens" may have been alluded to in the Prometheus film.  If you notice on the murals inside the ampule room (where the big noggin is), there is a painting of an engineer and a dog alien of sorts.  Wonder if they're the same.

http://C:\Arek_temp_02\ALIENS\untitled.jpg

http://C:\Arek_temp_02\ALIENS\Prometheus1.jpg

Interesting catch. I wonder if that's what Lebbon meant when he said "eagle-eyed" readers would find Prometheus references, especially since the Prometheus elements we got in the final version were very obvious.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Oddly similar pose of the Titan Prometheus to the one in the mural from the movie.  I wonder if it suggests conflict between the engineers and the dog aliens.  Perhaps they are not the engineers' best friend..

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

That's an interesting thought, too; though I always saw the mural more as a reference to the God and Adam from the Sistine Chapel, implying that the creature (dog-alien or not) was either a creation of the Engineers or some kind of subservient species. Though it is entirely possible that the Engineer is trying to restrain the creature.

But looking at the "Art of Prometheus" book, the Engineer does have a wavy line that could easily be a scar or wound on his abdomen, where the liver would be. A mystery wrapped in an enigma.

It is interesting to speculate as to whether the Engineers got the xenos from the dog-aliens, or vice versa!  ;D

lucas.tanton

Also on the "dog alien" topic " "prometheus stole fire from the gods" Maybe the "dog aliens" stole fire from their gods (xeno eggs).  Its great to have the alien universe expanded like this and its nice that we as viewers and readers get to put the puzzle together.

Kimarhi

You could argue that since their technology also seems to be organic.  Its mentioned that their ship was grown not metallic like ours would be.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Kimarhi on Feb 13, 2014, 07:06:14 PM
You could argue that since their technology also seems to be organic.  Its mentioned that their ship was grown not metallic like ours would be.

Well of course that stands to reason.  Perhaps the "Trimonite" material which they were mining is what the Alien Juggernaut ships are made of.  Was it not written that the material is 15 times harder than diamond and extremely rare?  It would explain why the Juggernaut did not break upon impact when it crash landed in Prometheus.  Furthermore, it wold explain why the Alien ship in the Tim Lebbon's book was so far underground.  It was being grown from Trimonite.  Otherwise, why even mention a fantasy material at all?  It would be bad sci-fi to invent some sort of "unobtainium" and then not have it relate to the story.

Perhaps the ships underground in Prometheus were being grown as well?

Kimarhi

Could be.  I didn't think of the connection of the trimonite and the ships.  Could be possible.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Woah Woah grown ships what's this?

Kimarhi

The dog ship was like the jockey ship, it was grown.

The description in the book though makes me think that at one time though the dog aliens didn't have growth technology because they are described as having metallic suits and gold rings.

So if the dog aliens met the Engineers it could be seen as the Engineers "uplifting" them like species do to one another in Mass Effect.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

This book sounds incredibly cheesy for a series that's meant to be hardcore reality.

Kimarhi

Meh, Alien isn't hard sci fi.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: Kimarhi on Feb 14, 2014, 04:13:29 AM
Meh, Alien isn't hard sci fi.

Are you nuts? It's the closest we'll ever get to space being a realistic place.

Alien Ressurrection is the only one in the series that isn't "hard sci-fi'

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed