Neill Blomkamp: "I think [Alien 5] is totally dead"

Started by Darkness, Jun 03, 2017, 04:34:16 PM

Author
Neill Blomkamp: "I think [Alien 5] is totally dead" (Read 47,443 times)

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: zoidy on Jun 06, 2017, 09:46:20 PM
The point surely isnt whether cameron is a good director, he is. the question is whether we think he is the man to "save" the alien movies, or to do a new Alien 5-ish.

No. Because a) he shows no sign of interest in other projects than his own nebulous vapor-ware movie these days, and b) he hasn't made a good movie, less a studio contracted and restricted movie since, well, T2.

It's a fantasy idea.

This.

PierreVW

Quote from: Gash on Jun 07, 2017, 07:44:16 PM
Quote from: JohnnyChimpo on Jun 05, 2017, 12:29:49 PM
I too have always had mixed feelings about this project. Blomkamp was definitely smart with the way he went around getting everyone excited, he hit that retro/nostalgia love that we all can fall victim too. He knows there is still a large part of the fanbase that hates Alien 3 for killing off these characters, and he played up to that.

I don't know that it was that smart a move. Sure it stirred up certain fan circles and got him name-checked a lot in news feeds looking for a new angle, but I'm guessing he's now most famous in Hollywood for a couple of significant failures and for muscling in on someone else's ongoing project.

The only positive spin you could put on the whole thing is that it probably compelled Scott to forge ahead a little sooner than he would have done otherwise.

That was stupid in Blomkamp's part. Now, he is only famous for his dead ALIEN 5.

Guillermo Del Toro makes all the time the same mistake. Guillermo talks about his DEAD projects. Both of them(Neill and Guillermo) are most famous for their dead projects: AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS, ALIEN 5, etc....

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I bet my entire butt Blomkamp's film would've been better than Covenant AND Prometheus combined

SM

Pretty sure Blomkamp is famous for District 9, and Del Toro is famous for Pacific Rim.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Del Toro has plenty to be famous for - Pan's Labyrinth (#130 in the IMDb top 250), Hellboy 1&2, Pacific Rim. His aesthetic and visual style are very well known.

Blomkamp is a bit different. District 9 is VERY well known and as a result so is his dirty cyberpunk aesthetic.

Quote from: Valaquen on Jun 04, 2017, 11:30:13 AM
I don't understand folk throwing their hats in the air over the news. If you thought Blomkamp's film was going to be bad, then you probably shouldn't fork out your money for it. Fans are not hostages to franchises (though some are happy to make themselves so) and don't have to see or own every film, book, merchandise.

Personally I'm at the stage where I really don't care what they release, Scott's prequel series or a sequel series. Neither will be like ALIEN or ALIENS in terms of quality. I don't see the point in getting emotional about it. I'm not sure how some people can tell others to accept the third film when they cannot abide those same people having a preferred sequel of their own to turn to.

Also kind of tired of Ridley being called the creator of the series. He's not really a sci-fi guy: O'Bannon, Cobb, Shusett all were. They knew Lovecraft. Scott invokes von Daniken. Moebius called him "an enlightened amateur". I think I agree wth that.
Best post in the entire thread, and I especially agree with the third paragraph.

SpreadEagleBeagle

...And I bet my entire butt that Blomkamp's A5 would've sucked just as hard as the rest of his movies (not counting District 9). Amazing designs and lots of eye-candy - but that's about it! Empty carbs.

The retcon part of his A5 movie project is the last nail in the coffin and kind of relegates this whole thing to the same basket of silliness as AVP and AVP:R.

I would bet that Blomkamp's A5 would work much better as a big budget video game. You know - sequel to A:CM, or something like that. They already brought Hicks back from the dead in A:CM and they could easily circumvent Ripley's death as A:CM already isn't considered canon (Fox de-canonized the game, right?). They kind of have free reign to do whatever they want. Throw a late thirties-something Newt in there and call it a day. No need to remove two official Alien movies from the series out of spite and nostalgia.

PierreVW

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Jun 07, 2017, 08:42:20 PM
...And I bet my entire butt that Blomkamp's A5 would've sucked just as hard as the rest of his movies (not counting District 9). Amazing designs and lots of eye-candy - but that's about it! Empty carbs.

The retcon part of his A5 movie project is the last nail in the coffin and kind of relegates this whole thing to the same basket of silliness as AVP and AVP:R.

I would bet that Blomkamp's A5 would work much better as a big budget video game. You know - sequel to A:CM, or something like that. They already brought Hicks back from the dead in A:CM and they could easily circumvent Ripley's death as A:CM already isn't considered canon (Fox de-canonized the game, right?). They kind of have free reign to do whatever they want. Throw a late thirties-something Newt in there and call it a day. No need to remove two official Alien movies from the series out of spite and nostalgia.

This. All of this.

JokersWarPig

The divide on how people feel about Blomkamp is astounding. I've thoroughly enjoyed everything he's done since the live action Halo 3 trailers.

Jacku

If this film isn't happening can that fan film about an adult Newt be made now?

teguh

So the official sequel for alien franchise will be A3 and A:R

I feel emptiness by not seeing Weaver and Biehn , the rest of the team and for honoring Bill Paxton in A5.

Well this is it then.    :-[

SM

I don't think Bill was going to be in Alien 5...

dHunter333

RIP Alien 5
I was so looking forward to this...Aliens has been my favorite movie since I was about 6.
As I get older (33 now), I enjoy Alien more and more, but still prefer Aliens.
I would love to see the colonial marines one more time...if we dont get Alien 5...please give us some movie that takes place shortly after Alien 3, with different characters.
An Aliens rip off could be quite fun if handled right...

I'mSadNow

I'mSadNow

dHunter333

or a proper avp movie...predator vs alien the reboot lol

darkvegett0

Wow I'm surprised that people are defending alien covenant that was  horrible and to tell with a3 and A:R and Ridley Scott needs to step down asap...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed