Predator: Hunting Grounds Catch-All Thread

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 07, 2019, 09:39:48 AM

Author
Predator: Hunting Grounds Catch-All Thread (Read 103,642 times)

The Necronoir

Short take: if anything in Hunting Grounds is a likely contender for canon, it's going to be the tapes. Those tapes specifically mention the "Cleopatra" predator, so we know that at least one of the DLC characters lived through to modern times. She also happens to hail from the earliest point in history of any that we have so far, even if we err on the side of caution and place her first encounters with humans around the reign of Cleopatra VII, the last Pharaoh of Egypt (first century BCE).

The only debate then is whether you consider it likely that predators would either gift trophies and armour or claim them from each other in combat. If yes, then there isn't any conclusive proof that predators live more than a few centuries. If no, you have to accept that their lifespan probably extends to a least several thousand years. Cleopatra wouldn't be hunting on earth as a child, after all.

I guess you could also start to consider some life-preserving technology like hyper-sleep as well, which was going to be explicitly shown in the first AVP movie at one point.

Voodoo Magic

"he described its armor as far more ornate almost egyptian in its regal design. Physically it was slimmer but far more deadly than any previously encountered " - Keyes

Yeah, we don't know what the exact deal is with Cleo.

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Sep 29, 2021, 04:22:50 AM
Its not picking and choosing if Illfonic already said so. Jungle and City are canonically dead, but present only for gameplay reasons. Illfonic and Fox said the events of this game is canon, happens right after The Predator so idk what to tell you.

Yes, Illfonic said this game takes place after the events of "The Predator" where Stargazer has fallen out of the U.S. Government's graces, and O.W.L.F has been reinstated. Those events are canon as well as the creation of the humanoid female Predator where Illfonic and 20th Century worked very close together on. And based on the lore tapes and the Predator:Stalking Shadows novel, the Cleopatra Predator has walked the Earth at least twice in the last few decades.

But the rest of this I think you're trying to merge abstract with fact. In any mission scenario in this asymmetrical game, the Predator Player can play with any Predator: Dead Movie Predators, Custom Predators, the very first Alpha Predator, a Predator from Viking times.... If the mission scenario was truly canon, which Predator was actually there? And did the Predator win, or did the Fireteam win? Because it keeps changing every time you play.

Yes, I would land on the side that the Predator DLC Characters Illfonic has created are additions to the lore. But playing random mission scenarios with a very old Predator doesn't mean it's still alive, nor does giving that Predator (or trophies) a backstory and supplying that backstory to the gamer.

Who knows, maybe one day a 15,000 year old lifespan might become true one day. But until then, it's just fan theory... that can be countered with Neca declaring that Yautja like the Lost Predators use time-travel. :)

Kailem

Yeah I've never taken the trophies that are thousands of years old to be confirmation that Predators live that long, just that they're cool trophies they might have taken from different periods in human history when they might have visited Earth that you can use to customise your own.

Greyback giving Harrigan the flintlock in Predator 2 and various other places basically confirmed they can live for hundreds of years, but several thousand feels like it's pushing it to me.

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 29, 2021, 01:43:43 PM
"he described its armor as far more ornate almost egyptian in its regal design. Physically it was slimmer but far more deadly than any previously encountered " - Keyes

In terms of what? Appearance? Place in canon? I honestly don't get what you mean here. Only thing is that she is Dutch's rival and the tapes hinted at Round 2 coming about in the near future. How, when, and where will go down is beyond me.

But the rest of this I think you're trying to merge abstract with fact. In any mission scenario in this asymmetrical game, the Predator Player can play with any Predator: Dead Movie Predators, Custom Predators, the very first Alpha Predator, a Predator from Viking times.... If the mission scenario was truly canon, which Predator was actually there? And did the Predator win, or did the Fireteam win? Because it keeps changing every time you play.

But I already pointed this out earlier. I know that we don't know who were the individuals of Fireteam doing the missions or the particular individual Predator being present in the event, only that Fireteam, Predator, and Stargazer were present in these mission events. Its like Aliens Fireteam Elite for example, Fireteam was present in these mission events that went down in LV-895. Only that we don't know which class, individuals, or weapon gear were present canonically in the game during the time of these events, only that the missions indeed happened. Otherwise, by your reasoning, Aliens Fireteam Elite as a whole isn't canon because we don't know who were present and what truly went down in these mission scenarios.

Yes, I would land on the side that the Predator DLC Characters Illfonic has created are additions to the lore. But playing random mission scenarios with a very old Predator doesn't mean it's still alive, nor does giving that Predator (or trophies) a backstory and supplying that backstory to the gamer.

For clarity, excluding the ones that are canonically dead, I already have addressed that some Predators' fates is left unclear about their ultimate end so its just up in the air what truly happened to them. I'm not here to argue for their living or dead status as I have nothing to support either or of their fates.

What I am saying, is that referencing Elder's flintlock pistol trophy indicated that Predators not only collect trophies that aren't only skulls and spines, but can live for centuries. Taking that into account, with the trophies we have now present in the game, with the oldest one possibly being 10,000 years old, the way the bios are written as if the trophies were being studied and cataloged, that means there was at least one Predator out there that was killed and taken by OWLF, took a look at the Prehistoric Mace it had, sampled it and found its age through carbon dating. Why else is the trophy's lore written out that way?

Who knows, maybe one day a 15,000 year old lifespan might become true one day. But until then, it's just fan theory... that can be countered with Neca declaring that Yautja like the Lost Predators use time-travel. :)

Well, guess the only way to find out is to ask Illfonic themselves in the next livestream, QA event, or even if AVPG does an interview with them.

I counter that with Illfonic, NECA, and Fox together declaring Alpha Predator canon to the series, but nothing said about the rest of the NECA figures. Unless I'm missing something here of course. 

SuperiorIronman

SuperiorIronman

Neca being canonical is said due to lore from it being used within the "Predator bible". The issue with that document (outside none of us having access to it to know specifics) is that it was written with the mindset that AVP was canonical to the solo franchise which outside the two crossover films being intended during the production of The Predator, it's a separate continuity. Fox and later Disney when they asked about it segregated things by franchise despite owning both franchises. As a result stuff that's canon to AVP might not be canon to Alien or Predator and it's done that way either by branding or the other creature appearing in that title. It should also be noted that it's outdated by 2018 so things could've changed since them. Of course us not having access to the thing makes everything dubious anyways if it had material that never saw the light of day like the Assassin apparently being a Super Predator.

So Serpent Hunter is estimated to be near 1000 and it's weird he wasn't showing his age, but being he's apart of AVP this may not factor into the upper limits of solo material aging. We just don't know one way or the other but in AVP material it's stated they can reach 1000, just that they do start to wear down by then and it's weird Serpent Hunter wasn't.

As far as solo material goes we know they can live up to the hundreds of years given City Hunter is estimated to have been around 300 when he died and that's still considered young.

Based off appearances the only one we know to be old would be Elder and the AVP ancient but we have no idea what the age of them is. Cleopatra since she shares the same face as the females and isn't mentioned by the devs to be older than the others like both elders are we don't know if she's 30 or 30,000. She does have an "ancient disk" but we have no idea how she acquired it, just that she did.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Sep 29, 2021, 11:15:18 PM
"he described its armor as far more ornate almost egyptian in its regal design. Physically it was slimmer but far more deadly than any previously encountered " - Keyes

In terms of what?

"Almost Egyptian" as in we don't even know if Cleo's armor is really Egyptian based, or perhaps it is, and perhaps Egyptian armor is Predator based (ala Stargate or the sort) and perhaps this is the garb of a Predator clan, and quite possibly Cleo has never even been in Egypt, etc..

I just appreciate all the ambiguity.

Mr.Turok

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Sep 30, 2021, 12:06:31 AM
Neca being canonical is said due to lore from it being used within the "Predator bible". The issue with that document (outside none of us having access to it to know specifics) is that it was written with the mindset that AVP was canonical to the solo franchise which outside the two crossover films being intended during the production of The Predator, it's a separate continuity. Fox and later Disney when they asked about it segregated things by franchise despite owning both franchises. As a result stuff that's canon to AVP might not be canon to Alien or Predator and it's done that way either by branding or the other creature appearing in that title. It should also be noted that it's outdated by 2018 so things could've changed since them. Of course us not having access to the thing makes everything dubious anyways if it had material that never saw the light of day like the Assassin apparently being a Super Predator.

Yeah this Fox/Neca and AVP/Predator situation is such a mess, thats why its hard for me to take any of the info there with credit due to too many contradictions and the separation of the AVP/Predator series makes everything outdated and dubious.

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Sep 30, 2021, 12:06:31 AM
Based off appearances the only one we know to be old would be Elder and the AVP ancient but we have no idea what the age of them is. Cleopatra since she shares the same face as the females and isn't mentioned by the devs to be older than the others like both elders are we don't know if she's 30 or 30,000. She does have an "ancient disk" but we have no idea how she acquired it, just that she did.

It's unfortunate that Illfonic never made the unique Predators also have unique facial appearances as well. Its something that many people like myself had pointed out with great disappointment.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 30, 2021, 12:56:15 PM
Quote from: Mr.Turok on Sep 29, 2021, 11:15:18 PM

In terms of what?

"Almost Egyptian" as in we don't even know if Cleo's armor is really Egyptian based, or perhaps it is, and perhaps Egyptian armor is Predator based (ala Stargate or the sort) and perhaps this is the garb of a Predator clan, and quite possibly Cleo has never even been in Egypt, etc..

I just appreciate all the ambiguity.

I mean, looking at the design, it looks Egyptian based to me.

Additionally, going by with how the pattern of past cultural based Predators hunting in the respective regions of said culture like Samurai hunting actual samurai in Japan and Viking hunting vikings in the Iron Age, this would suggest that Cleopatra was hunting in Egypt during their time as an empire. Its just dubious on which time period she was hunting such as Egypt has a long timeline where she could have visited anytime. Based on the info of Samurai and Viking, they were hunting when their human counterparts were already a established power and the Predators simply mimicked them, or at least thats the info that is suggestion but yeah its very here and there kind of thing.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Sep 30, 2021, 03:04:14 PM

It can just as easily be Predator based, meaning Egypt is one of those special places on Earth where many have hypothesized extra terrestrials had a hand in developing their civilization.

P.S. Your pics aren't showing, a usual result linking to wiki images unfortunately.

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 30, 2021, 03:26:28 PM
Quote from: Mr.Turok on Sep 30, 2021, 03:04:14 PM

It can just as easily be Predator based, meaning Egypt is one of those special places on Earth where many have hypothesized extra terrestrials had a hand in developing their civilization.

P.S. Your pics aren't showing, a usual result linking to wiki images unfortunately.

Maybe, I'm just going with the pattern of the previous historical Predator info that they were hunting in the time period when the samurai and vikings were already established. Maybe Cleo is the exception? Idk really....

Pics ain't showing, goddammit. Why does wiki images have to be like this all of a sudden, this blows! Oh well

Wweyland

So how many DLC-s are left to be released? Only one extra Predator incoming?

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Wweyland on Oct 07, 2021, 08:39:12 AM
So how many DLC-s are left to be released? Only one extra Predator incoming?

Yes, it appears by the silhouette that a new Predator is incoming this month...

...and I personally suspect we'll continue to get new content towards the release of "Skulls".

Wweyland

It has been frustrating to find the lore tapes. I've grinded all the weapons to 10, and myself to level 150, done most of the achievements, but found something like 4 lore tapes only.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Wweyland on Oct 10, 2021, 08:57:43 PM
It has been frustrating to find the lore tapes. I've grinded all the weapons to 10, and myself to level 150, done most of the achievements, but found something like 4 lore tapes only.

Bring and use the UAV at different campsites to find them.

Voodoo Magic

Okay my brother from another mother, time to take you to task and rant!   ;)

Three weeks ago when I was raving about this year's DLC, you countered about Cleo:

Quote from: Samhain13 on Sep 17, 2021, 06:38:12 PM
Cleo is another cosplay meme slow Predator with bad stats like Samurai and Viking. Not a big fan of the design, and if you evaluate her gameplay wise: sure it workes great against randoms, anything does, but in competitive matches she is just...

Yet in your awesome ranking video you ranked Cleo better than the Samurai, better than the Viking, better than the Berserker, and equal to the Scout.

But what's worse is you also accused the game of being "pay to win" three weeks ago....

Quote from: Samhain13 on Sep 17, 2021, 06:38:12 PMWhile Dante and Dutch'87 are still the same overpowered pay to win ft dlc as they always been.

But in your video you ranked Dutch'87 a tier under Support, Recon, Dante and Scout. And how is it "pay to win" when the top tier has three classes you don't have to pay for???

Okay, rant over.  ;D

Otherwise, everyone check out Samhain13's videos everyone. They are very fun and informative!

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=64378.75

Samhain13

Samhain13

Samurai and Viking are DLC too. Just cause Cleo is better than the worse classes doesnt make her great. Default Hunter class still way better than her. You are paying to play for a half decent melee class that is what the Berserker should have been in the first place and was before he was nerfed to shit due to complains at launch. She can be seen as a pay to win version of the Berserker for those that wanted to use melee as Predator, but melee isn't the most effective way to play as Predator anyway, only works vs randoms. Scout is not considered to be a good class by most people even though he is build for long range combat so being equal to him doesnt exactly mean much.

In the FT ranking I take in consideration both how the classes are while playing solo with randoms, on a premade team and at the hands of players that can maximize their full potential.

If you playing solo Dutch87 is overall better than Recon, Scout and Support, most players can have a higher chance of winning with him or Dante than with the other classes, since they are both tanky and damage dealing classes.

Recon is only S tier if you put the tracker perk on him, otherwise he is A like I said on the video, Scout only became S tier due to Illfonic fixing his post sprint 20% damage boost on the last patch, both can be insanely overpowered but only on the hands of players that know how to use those classes, mainly those that have very good aiming at spotting and shooting the Predator on PC + are playing on a coordinated team with classes that function well together.

On the hand of average players using Scout and Recon will make them die faster than if they were using Dutch87 since they are kind of glass cannons, without a team of other players to support you and not having good aim one wont get much out of them. Support's passive of damage reduction and fast revive speed on the hands of bad players only delays their death, it wont give them the same advantage as using Dutch87 does. Pay to win helps to give bad players a higher chance of winning vs those better than them, and thats mainly what Dante and Dutch87 do. Any type of player will get an advantage by playing with those 2.

Dutch87 almost made it to S tier though, he is probably a little better than the Assault and the OWLF Operative that are on the same tier. Maybe he could be above those 2, but then I would need a S+ tier to put Dante, Recon, Scout and Support and I didnt feel like the difference between him and the other 2 on A tier were worth making a whole tier just for him, they are more or less around the same level after all.

Problem isn't just having pay to win FT classes but not having Predator ones, that would be only fair. All decent DLC Predator were nerfed while FTs were not. Also if a FT class should be OP it should be Dutch2025 cus it would make sense considering the lore.

City used to be pay to win I guess, he was a faster Hunter with more gear points, then they decreased his perks points from 12 to 10 cus complains, thus stopped being the best Predator class. Valkyrie was nerfed as well cus people whined about her being overpowered, which despite that she indeed had the best stats in the game, being a complete superior version of the Scout, she couldn't carry traps together with medkits like Hunter or City so she had a disadvantage that prevented her from being considered the best class at least in the hands of those that know how to use traps. Before her nerf and Predator specializations, S tier would be her, Jungle/Hunter and City.

Another example of a S tier class that can suck at the hands of bad players is the Elder, since he can have an high offensive power due to Stalker many people choose to go for him, it gives the ilusion they can just overpower anyone, thing is his lack of stamina and speed will get most players killed vs fireteams that want to chase you down to kill. Unless you are someone with experience dealing with that, using him only make things worse for you vs agressive good FTs, since one will not have the chance to use his damage dealing strengh before dying.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 13, 2021, 01:59:41 PM
Otherwise, everyone check out Samhain13's videos everyone. They are very fun and informative!

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=64378.75

Thanks.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed