Prometheus Footage Screening and Q&A

Started by shamash, Apr 10, 2012, 10:37:23 AM

Author
Prometheus Footage Screening and Q&A (Read 71,291 times)

dcdemon@gmail.com

I hope we get the R-rated version in Europe :)

The US is an interesting nation..

"Oh no, we CANT have sex and voilence in movies, cause that would "hurt" our childrens perception" ....
"and on the other hand we think it is absolutely OK to sell guns to people."

Zenzucht

Quote from: NGR01 on Apr 12, 2012, 11:50:33 AM
Yep i'm talking about those leech fans that almost assaulted the crew.
I got a life and a decent job thank you for caring ;)
And no i'm not like them, i don't care for signed posters or such stuff. Really not my cup of tea.
Especially when it means assaulting an artist like they did.

I was a keen fan once, then my "idol" signed some stuff for me and all that "wow" feeling was gone. Now, all fans seems to me as some kind of freaks..

But I was once freak too :D

nostromo mechanic

As a lifelong RS fan, I was really hoping for something around 2 1/2 myself but I guess I can understand the reasoning behind 1H59M. Your casual movie goer/date night couple like movies that are under two hours and a long running time can be the deciding factor when their standing at the box office window deciding what movie to see. Most people are not the rabid fans as we are that are going to hang on EVERY word uttered in this movie. Anyway, after this absolutely agonizing wait, we get to do it immediately again while waiting for the Blue Ray Edition and wanting to hear Ridleys commentary!

T Dog

T Dog

Well it's Ridley "business" sense that's the reason he's still making movies these days after a ton of flops.
Flops, many of which I've enjoyed but flops none the less from a commercial perspective.

I know he's "not stupid" as he says himself. Just wish he had more balls when pushing HIS vision out into the cinema. 

Predaker

Quote from: tmjhur on Apr 12, 2012, 07:26:10 PM
Well I doubt I'm jumping the gun in assuming the rating with be PG-13.

It's just complete and utter nonsense now though to go and pay to see something well aware that I'm not being provided with the proper product. We know it's watered down now. It's a fact.
I agree. If I am going to pay to see this movie, I dont want to watch the version that was watered down for 13 year olds. No offense to the young fans but this movie should be rated R. Sorry Riddles! You won't be getting any of my $$.

escroto

Quote from: tmjhur on Apr 12, 2012, 07:26:10 PM
Well I doubt I'm jumping the gun in assuming the rating with be PG-13.

It's just complete and utter nonsense now though to go and pay to see something well aware that I'm not being provided with the proper product. We know it's watered down now. It's a fact.
I agree too, though I don't think I can until the dvd comes out with the proper director's cut, I mean I'm going to see the watered down subproduct of Prometheus the day of Its release.

NGR01

NGR01

Guys the rating system is mostly utter nonsense.
Look what Verhoevhen used to do, shoot hardcore violent scenes that he would gladely cut just to make sure that what he really wanted would pass unoticed.
This is a massive blockbuster movie, it almost did not happen when Scott said he wanted an R and fox said no.
Then Scott toght about it, do i really want to do this movie? Yes whats need to be done will be done.
But i have both options.
At least he shot what he needed for the R cut.

Now if you're able to wait for the DVD release to see the movie more power to you.

But seriously ranting about the rating and the running time.
See the movie then shred it to pieces if you hate it.

nostromo mechanic

Tell 'ya what I'm gonna do . . . . . I'm going to see the theatrical release but I'm gonna try my hardest to just view it as a trailer for the upcoming 3-4 month away Blue Ray release!

T Dog

T Dog

I just don't like being treated like a child and an idiot by companies who want me to pay money to go see a censored product that they made suitable for 13 year olds when I'm a 26 year old man.

NGR01

NGR01

The movie will be just less graphic.
It won't ruin the story.

Michael Harper

Based on the footage that has been shown it seems like the film get's straight into the plot, with none of that long-driven nothingness that happens in a lot of long films these days which could easily be done without. Two hours is a perfect length for a film like this - like Alien which was little under two hours, the first half of the film will more than likely introduce the audience to all of the characters and of course set everything up - all the mythology and exploration will be delivered, and then the second half of the film will be the horror, and when shit goes down!

As for the PG-13 thing - it hasn't actually been confirmed that the film is a PG-13 yet, has it? Of course, the explanation for the 17 minutes cut from the film could be due to the rating, and that would be slightly disappointing - but it's not that we would never get the uncut version. Ridley will most-definitely include it on the DVD/Blu-Ray. But it could still possibly be an R-Rated film.

Also, the 17 minutes cut may not exactly mean that that's all they have cut. The film could have been screened for the MPAA, and upon cutting the film they removed 17 minutes. There could be more cut that they just never thought to include in the film for the Theatrical Cut.

In the end though - I think two hours is perfect - and 136 minute director's cut on Blu-Ray will be a nice bonus.

Now...I want a couple more posters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RoaryUK

The thing that disappoints me most is, this movie has been described as "epic," even by Sir Riddles himself, right! When I think of "epic" I think of movies built on a massive scale, with a production to match, stories that develop and take their time. Movies like Ben Hur (1959 - $16 million, 212 minutes), 2001: A Space Odessy (1968 - $10 million, 141 minutes), Spartacus (1960 - $12 million, 184 minutes). More recently, Gladiator (2000 - $103 million, 155 minutes), Lord of the Rings (2001 - $93 million, 178 minutes), King Kong (2005 - $207 million, 187 minutes), Robin Hood (2010 - $200 million, 140 minutes. All these movies, whatever we think of them, had huge scale and big budgets for their time, but they also have something else in common... they didn't feel rushed.

Of course we all know movie making has changed so much lately. But we also know what Ridley Scott is capable of, that Prometheus has a massive production worth up to a reported $200 million, and we've all seen proof of the epic scale it could be, but with a running time of just 119 minutes it strikes me as anything but epic. Obviously the problem for the studio is how to sell their product to the masses not just the fans. I just think with so many fans of this genre waiting to see this movie, putting it out as PG-13 while bad enough is understandable, but if Prometheus is truly meant to be "epic", why risk hurting it's theatrical release even more by possibly cutting it to shreads, when it's pretty obvious who's going to want to see this type of film and no guarentees the movie will attract an outside audience in he first place!

Even with all the hype, I STILL talk to people who don't know what Prometheus is, while the people expected to see it most, us the Alien/Predatopr fans, who I'd wager would see Prometheus many times if it's great, might well be the same people put off seeing it at all if they hear the movie fails to measure up. And just imagine, all this could happen because one person thought 'if the movie was shorter more people would go see it, and so it would make more money.'  Well, I hate to burst your bubble Mr Rothman, but it doesn't always work that way. And I wonder, are you just trying it on because you really didn't like what you saw and just want it over with... in which case we should all be worried!!       

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

ALIEN when it was re-released in france as its director's cut version was PG-13...
Time have changed and it's not like both ALIEN & ALIENS were ULTRA GORE.
In fact it wasn't at all, the only scene I can see pretty bloody is the chestburster but everything else was off screen and too quick and didn't spoil much.

So I don't really see the problem since most of the time a film that is planned as R-rated MUST aim to an audience that wants R-rated things (SAW, AVP REQUIEM, PIRANHA, CHAINSAW MASSACRE, etc.) and I ABSOLUTELY don't want Prometheus to turns to be like this.

But if you do, it's fine, I mean we all want another AVP requiem, right?  :D

T Dog

T Dog

A solid 2 hours is fine as long as they don't dick around too much at the start.

But my Space Jockey God, the suits in Fox are ridiculous.

The 17 minutes might have been worth cutting to keep the film tighter, might not be a content thing.

Still hoping they release a harder cut in Europe.

For some reason they obsess over the domestic gross more than the international. Can't remember why.

ThisBethesdaSea

Needing a movie to be 2.5 hours plus to be epic may be a little misguided. There are a dozen films I can name you right now that are fantastic and epic in scope that are exactly or under 2 hours. 119 minutes is 2 hours and 20 minutes...and that's a good amount of time to be sitting still in a theater. I would bet that if Ridley needed it to be longer, he would have made it longer.

You're just grinding metal, ease down....ease down....;) :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed