Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 273,340 times)

fiveways

Quote from: necrotard on Jun 29, 2017, 05:10:00 AM
Cast someone who draws crowds in China...

Milla Jovovich it is!

Ingwar

Jackie Chan ;D

0321recon

;) Donnie Yen.

fiveways

I'd say Chow Yun Fat but he was almost in Alien:R.  Good thing he dodged that bullet.

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: newagescamartist on Jun 28, 2017, 08:18:22 AM
Marines? I hope you guys aren't talking about Covenant's sequel because there is almost zero percent chance of that happening.

My guess is that the assumption here is that the sequel to "Covenant" will be filmed next year and that Ridley Scott would be the director.
With "Covenant" under performing at the box office, there is no guarantee of that.
The sequel could be delayed for years and eventually be done without Ridley.

Quote from: newagescamartist on Jun 28, 2017, 08:18:22 AM
If you want to talk about fan service, inserting wise cracking tough guy marines and the queen back into the series is the definition of fan service.

The second half of "Covenant" (which centered on the xenomorph) is a clear example of movie fan service.
The xenomorph was in the film because some fans asked for it to be brought back.
From a Ridley Scott interview about "Covenant";

Quote Ridley Scott: "Prometheus" was very successful... some of the notes if you look on social media; 'good film' but they missed him (the xenomorph) and the evolution, chestbursters, facehuggers, all that stuff... In the process of planning "Covenant" we're going to have to re-introduce him.
(from a YouTube video titled "Spoiler Alert!: Ridley Scott's secret plans for the future of the Alien franchise" at 3 minutes and 6 seconds)

* Prior to this with the development of "Prometheus" Scott had vowed not to use the xenomorph again.

Quote(Cinemablend:) Here's what he had to say when asked directly if we would again see the xenomorph in the film:
(Ridley Scott:) No. Absolutely not. They squeezed it dry. He (the xenomorph) did very well. (He laughs) He survived, he's now in Disneyland in Orlando, and no way am I going back there. How did he end up in Disneyland? I saw him in Disneyland, Jesus Christ!
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Ridley-Scott-Says-Xenomorph-Absolutely-Prometheus-28428.html

But Ridley did go "back there". Why? Again, fan service.
- As for the sequel to "Covenant' and fan service, what was done in the past (bringing back something from the Alien franchise), could happen again.

;)

PS. "Covenant" box office update from Box Office Mojo; Worldwide:    $228,570,372   
And that includes China's box office at $41 million.

Ingwar

It's 43.98 million in China according to http://english.entgroup.cn/boxoffice/cn/daily/

PierreVW

Quote from: echobbase79 on Jun 29, 2017, 04:12:37 AM

I'd like to see Denzel Washington headline the next film. He was great in American Gangster.

I prefer Matt Damon.

Matt Damon and His Colonial Marines VERSUS Michael Fassbender and His Aliens!.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Matt Damon is playing space pirate, Captain Blonde Beard in next Alien movie.

Mr. Xenomorph

If they could actually get Damon, that would be huge. Jason Bourne did very well last year while Ninja Turtles and Independence Day tanked.

Ingwar

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jun 29, 2017, 08:57:13 PM
Matt Damon is playing space pirate, Captain Blonde Beard in next Alien movie.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

:laugh:

Pirates + Matt Damon = Big Business at the Box Office.

Quote from: Mr. Xenomorph on Jun 29, 2017, 09:05:26 PM
If they could actually get Damon, that would be huge. Jason Bourne did very well last year while Ninja Turtles and Independence Day tanked.

I think Damon would jump at the opportunity to work with Ridley again.

PierreVW

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jun 29, 2017, 10:01:15 PM
:laugh:

Pirates + Matt Damon = Big Business at the Box Office.

Quote from: Mr. Xenomorph on Jun 29, 2017, 09:05:26 PM

I think Damon would jump at the opportunity to work with Ridley again.

I agree. Actually, THE MARTIAN is the biggest box office hit of both careers: Matt Damon and Ridley Scott.

BishopShouldGo

I thought they learned with Prometheus that they had to sweeten the pot with a name e.g. Charlize.

tleilaxu

They should've showed more of Katherine Waterston's belly.

D. Compton Ambrose

Covenant wasted so much money and as I predicted performed mediocrely at best. What a horrible showing. (Not withstanding all of the scenes cut from in China).

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed