Dark Horse Comics' Original Aliens vs. Predator - AvP Galaxy Podcast #78

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 07, 2018, 09:27:45 AM

Author
Dark Horse Comics' Original Aliens vs. Predator - AvP Galaxy Podcast #78 (Read 7,841 times)

Corporal Hicks

We have just uploaded the 78th episode of the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast (right-click and save as to download)! Our last episode of 2018 sees RidgeTop, Xenomorphine and myself reconvene for December’s podcast to discuss where it all started – Dark Horse Comics’ original Aliens vs. Predator!

We talk conceiving comic series’ on the toilet, whether we prefer Monika Livingston or InColor’s colouring work, is Machiko a clone of Ellen Ripley, the infamous team-up, the treatment of the Alien’s within the series and plenty more! We even get into some listener correspondence. And, of course, we plead once more for Dark Horse to re-release the series with new colours!

I would like to take the opportunity to thank all of our listeners and everyone who has written in or commented on our episodes. Also everyone who has been willing to be subjected to our questioning in interviews and all our community guests who have taken the time out of their days to come and join us.

And lastly, I would just like to thank both RidgeTop and Xenomorphine for all their effort making the Aliens vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast as amazing as it is!

What did you think of our latest episode? Be sure to let us know down below! You can also listen to any of our previous episodes in the Podcast section under the News tab on the main menu. The Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast is also available via iTunesPodBean, GooglePlay Stitcher and now YouTube!

Keep a close eye on Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest on Alien and Predator! You can follow us on FacebookTwitter and Instagram to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums!

Corporal Hicks

I think who I think is Topknot at the start of the series, the book has as Tichinde. I'm not sure that's right as the book also has Tichinde as the one Broken Tusk kills in front of Revna and that Predator doesn't have his dreads up.

Russ840

Looks king forward to listening to this guys.

This is the best AVP comic, for me, so cant wait.

With that fancy pants edition would hurry up and get solicited. Im guessing it will release in 2020 for the 30th anniversary.  Unless they use the date that they concieved the idea as the anniversary.  In which case we may get it next year. 

Valaquen

One of my faves that got me into all this stuff as a wee one. I really wish there was a hardcover reissue.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Valaquen on Dec 07, 2018, 03:59:10 PM
One of my faves that got me into all this stuff as a wee one. I really wish there was a hardcover reissue.

Me too.

AVP-CAPCOM

AVP-CAPCOM

I still have my original run of ALIENS VS PREDATOR comics bought in 1991, including the Dark Horse Presents 3 part "prequels". The "issue 0 of 4" compilation of these 3 DHP miniseries was released because of fan confusion- but in doing so added MORE confusion.

The "epilogue" issue was in DHP 5th Anniversary compilation which also had a weird surreal "Bisley meets Aliens".

I believe it was the first time I was introduced to PREDATOR before the Arnold movie.

Kids in the playground (I was in primary school UK) asked "is this going to be a movie?" and I too did many ALIEN related art projects. I think my parents would get called in if it emerged this was an 18/R rated franchise.

I'm with Corporal Hicks in the sense that the videogames were my preferred interpretation of this pairing of ALIENS/PREDATOR franchises.
I was dumbfounded by the "raunchers in space" sci-fi space western. Kind of reminded me of BraveStarr (late 80s cartoon) meets original Tremors.
If anything NOT using Weyland Yutani and instead Chigusa Corporation would've settled any bad blood between ALIEN purists and AVP fanboys.

Most interesting fun fact I didn't know of Phillip Norwood doing comic panels for the comic AND storyboarding for the Paul W S Anderson AVP movie. As well as many other film storyboards including TERMINATOR 2.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0636404/

If and when we get an AVP3 movie I think the template should be ALIENS VS PREDATOR (2010).

Russ840

There is one coming.

Valaquen

Quote from: Russ840 on Dec 07, 2018, 05:32:15 PM

There is one coming.

Awesome news.

PredAlien BG386

2018 was an Great avpgalaxy Podcast Year /_\ :)

Still Collating...

Always appreciate a new podcast! They are what got me into joining the forum in the first place. With every podcast I here something new about these franchises I care for so deeply, so thank you for that and for being thorough with your research.

TheYautjaDestroyer

Always love listening to these podcasts whenever I get the chance. Can't wait for more next year :)

El Pistolero

I love the podcast too. It is always a pleasure to listen to some guys they are sharing the same passion for the franchise like me. Sometimes with different opinions but I like it when they are well explained and you guys do it very well.

This one is a good opportunity to read this series again and I cant wait to listen to the new podcast. Dont stop doing this!

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Valaquen on Dec 07, 2018, 07:44:44 PM
Quote from: Russ840 on Dec 07, 2018, 05:32:15 PM

There is one coming.

Awesome news.

It's been over a year coming though: https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=59052.0  :(

Quote from: El Pistolero on Dec 08, 2018, 02:38:45 PM
I love the podcast too. It is always a pleasure to listen to some guys they are sharing the same passion for the franchise like me. Sometimes with different opinions but I like it when they are well explained and you guys do it very well.

This one is a good opportunity to read this series again and I cant wait to listen to the new podcast. Dont stop doing this!

Thanks, El Pistolero. It'd be boring if we all thought the same! Glad you're enjoying how we always try to go into our differing opinions to explain what we think, though. Certainly no plans to stop doing podcasts.  :)

Quote from: Still Collating... on Dec 07, 2018, 09:52:36 PM
Always appreciate a new podcast! They are what got me into joining the forum in the first place. With every podcast I here something new about these franchises I care for so deeply, so thank you for that and for being thorough with your research.

Thanks! Definitely try to get as brushed up and do as much prep as I can before these! Besides, it's fun to do the research anyway.  ;D

Quote from: AVP-CAPCOM on Dec 07, 2018, 04:23:49 PM
I'm with Corporal Hicks in the sense that the videogames were my preferred interpretation of this pairing of ALIENS/PREDATOR franchises.

I wouldn't say I prefer the video games. It's just at the point I read the comic the games were my only real exposure to the cross-over. I do thoroughly enjoy the series now. I like how it wasn't simply a retread of Aliens idea and went somewhere new with the colonisation angle.

Russ840

Russ840

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 08, 2018, 07:41:23 PM

It's been over a year coming though: https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=59052.0  :(

I really don't think we are seeing it till the 30th anniversary. Hopefully a recolour to go with the celebration.

Perfect-Organism

Great podcast as always guys.  I remember how excited I was when the very first AVP series was announced.  I bought all the Dark Horse Presents issues, and all the rest that followed, as they came out.  The series did feel like a bit of a let-down even back then, and I have to agree, it was probably due to the coloring.  (Why did I know you were going to say that in the podcast?)  If I am not mistaken, it may have been DH presents #36 that started the whole "multiple variant comic covers" trend which continues to be prevalent to this day.

Regardless of the colors, this is, in hindsight, an awesome book.  It could use a relaunch, and a recolor.  I bring to mind, the original Empire Strikes Back comic series from Marvel.  If you ever seen the original issues, you will know how horrific the colors were.  They were just fully washed out, with no presence.  Disney / Marvel did the right thing when they "remastered" the series.  They reissued the original ESB series in HC format and with all-new colors that reflect the tone of the film.  The result was spectacular, and totally changed the tone of the comics.  This is what I would recommend for the series.

If I remember correctly, As the series was being done, Phil Norwood left the series either to work on the T2 film or the Abyss.  It was one of the two, though I believe it was the Abyss, and you can see his style in some of the vehicles in the film.  The last issue of the series thus felt very different as compared to the previous ones.  Chris Warner didn't quite get the queen's proportions quite right in some of the shots.  One image had her legs be bigger and meatier than her carapace (crown).  It was a huge disconnect and I recall being disappointed by that at the time.  Fortunately, the story held together very well right through to the end, and as you look at the series in TPB format, it works quite well, other than the colors.

I really appreciated the attention to details that Phil Norwood put in.  In particular, the map of the Ryushi colony comes to mind.  That was some real Tolkien level stuff.  I found myself looking back and forth to compare the scenes in the comic to the actual map, and found it a very cool aid.  My friends and I once turned that into a role playing game actually.  Good times.

I wonder what the briar wolves looked like...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed