Aliens: Aftermath #1 (Marvel, One-Shot)

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Apr 19, 2021, 06:13:38 PM

Author
Aliens: Aftermath #1 (Marvel, One-Shot) (Read 15,678 times)

Xenomrph

Quote from: judge death on Apr 21, 2021, 06:46:56 PM
as Bishop said: the blast will be the size of Nebraska.
Worth pointing out that Bishop was using hyperbole, the blast wasn't literally the size of the state of Nebraska.

Sabres21768

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 22, 2021, 03:32:58 AM
Worth pointing out that Bishop was using hyperbole, the blast wasn't literally the size of the state of Nebraska.
That and the fact that most of the explosion was below ground level means Hadley's could still be somewhat intact. I never understood why people got so hung up on that.

judge death

Quote from: Sabres21768 on Apr 22, 2021, 03:46:18 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 22, 2021, 03:32:58 AM
That and the fact that most of the explosion was below ground level means Hadley's could still be somewhat intact. I never understood why people got so hung up on that.
Where do you have sources for that?
In Alien blueprints book, there are no below ground levels, it was completely above ground level. Standing at 1500 meters tall, its fusion reactor making 1 terrawatt and at a temperature of 5000Kelvins. Its blast being equal to 40 megaton, making a possible chernobyl nuclear explosion that would wipe out all of europe, look small. According to weyland yutani report its blast radius would be 40km. The colony being around 2 km away from the reactor.
Even if its underground a such blast would totaly wipe out a colony that close.Do I need to point out chernobyl thats way smaller could in theory wipe out whole of europe, and this fusin reactor being way more powerful and bigger, could easily do the same if not more, even basic nuclear knowledge will tell with logic: the colony is f**ked.

In all sources besides colony marines the colony is destroyed and is the idea since the Aliens movie came out.
https://alienanthology.fandom.com/wiki/Hadley%27s_Hope#Destruction

Hicks and hudsona nd bishop etc in the movie gets panic and knows they are f**ked and that is why they made their deseprate attempt at escaping with the second lander.
If the blast is as weak as it was in colony marines and now with this marvel comic, then there isnt any reason for them to panic, why not even speed up the fusion reactors explosion and make it a tactic? By exploding it, it kills the aliens and the marines could sit tight in operations and be completely fine.
Makes them look dumb to strip the marines of their weapons and their escape when they could sit tight and blow the nuclear reactor.
Maybe you say: radiation, but we know in the marvel comic and colonial marines there arent any, ed o neil and the others never complained about radiation, and radiation wouldnt magicly disappear in that short time, it needs 100 000 years.

Another issue is: once the reactor is gone, the atmosphere and air would disappear, having people walk on the surface like its earth long after the destruction isnt realistic.

Plus what we saw in aliens and then alien 3 and alienr esurrection that clearly indicates the colony was wiped out, and the derelight ship too which is 40 km away from the colony according to weyland yutani report book.

So having the colony surviving a explosion that nearly got the drop ship several kilometers up in the air by the time it exploded, dont make sense in any realistic way.

Xenomrph

The Derelict was behind a mountain range and survived the blast, per the Tech Manual. Did it's cargo of eggs get destroyed? Maybe, maybe not. (I say it didn't)

Nightmare Asylum

Unless another movie comes along and says otherwise, I'd say that Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection are pretty definitive about the Derelict being wiped out in the explosion; WY in Alien 3 is pretty desperate to get Ripley for her sample, and the USM state that an Alien hasn't been seen since and have to resort to pretty extreme measures to obtain their sample via cloning.

Obviously according to (every iteration of) the EU there are plenty of Alien samples out and about in that timeframe regardless of what the movies say, so there is definitely precedent for this comic, like so many others, to handwave all of that and say that the Derelict survived regardless. Into Charybdis, for example, is but one of many stories that has Aliens running around post-Alien 3, and I happen to love that book. Canon with details like this is always very fluid, so I just kind of roll with it, take what I like, and ignore the rest - and only really take into consideration whichever story I'm currently watching/reading/experiencing in the moment, anyways. And hell, even as far as the movies are concerned now, there are still unaccounted vases of Pathogen on LV-223 and Eggs on Paradise.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 22, 2021, 06:41:25 PMAnd hell, even as far as the movies are concerned now, there are still unaccounted vases of Pathogen on LV-223 and Eggs on Paradise.

Has any attempt been made to explain why the company didn't try sending a follow-up mission to LV-223?  If the black goo is what they really want, they should have no trouble getting it.

judge death

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 22, 2021, 06:47:39 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 22, 2021, 06:41:25 PMAnd hell, even as far as the movies are concerned now, there are still unaccounted vases of Pathogen on LV-223 and Eggs on Paradise.

Has any attempt been made to explain why the company didn't try sending a follow-up mission to LV-223?  If the black goo is what they really want, they should have no trouble getting it.
Thats a good question, its very close to LV 426, losing their CEO would make ita goal to get to that place and investigate.

Ultramorph

It's pretty nebulous as far as I know. I feel like Life and Death implied that Engineer tech had cloaking, so that's probably why the Company couldn't see what was there, but I agree the lack of them ever sending someone to check out what happened to Weyland seems odd. It's really unclear what's till canon, but they missed a whole xenomorph hive on 223 because they never looked.

Local Trouble

Did they know Weyland was on board the Prometheus?

Nightmare Asylum

Even if they weren't aware of Weyland being alive/on the Prometheus mission, we do know from Covenant that the Prometheus getting lost wasn't exactly a secret – so it is safe to assume, by extension, that it was known that Vickers was on board.

Local Trouble

True.  Whether they knew about Weyland or not is kinda irrelevant.  It was a trillion-dollar company expedition so I'd imagine they'd want to know what happened.

judge death

Also how much that project costed the company, if I recall it was record sums and the state of the art engines and technology onboard and the ship was way more advanced than anything existing by the time they set off.
Dont think the company will just write it off and not bother try to find it.

Nightmare Asylum

I definitely think there's room for some kind of return expedition/search for Prometheus type story in a book or comic. Initially I figured that's what the Prometheus sequel would be, before Covenant went in a very different direction.

Depending on when such a story is set, the disappearance of the ship and of Vickers could even be core factors that contribute to the merger with Yutani.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 22, 2021, 06:41:25 PM
Unless another movie comes along and says otherwise, I'd say that Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection are pretty definitive about the Derelict being wiped out in the explosion; WY in Alien 3 is pretty desperate to get Ripley for her sample, and the USM state that an Alien hasn't been seen since and have to resort to pretty extreme measures to obtain their sample via cloning.
The Tech Manual addresses the former - the Fury 161 mission happens nearly concurrently with a mission to go to the Derelict; the Ripley mission is considered more urgent since they have 100% confirmed reports of live Aliens while the Derelict is a gamble. 1 in the hand vs 2 in the bush and all that.

They don't say they haven't seen an Alien since Ripley (and the current, and former, EU basically show that that isn't the case :P ), they only say they haven't been able to get a sample. That doesn't strictly need to be because of Alien3; "for all intents and purposes" doesn't need to literally mean she killed them all, just that samples are inaccessible to the Auriga for any number of reasons. Restricted space, quarantines, not wanting to draw attention to their illegal operation, etc. Cloning Ripley may have genuinely been their only option despite other Aliens being out there in the galaxy somewhere.

Besides, I'm more than willing to creatively reinterpret one bad line from a movie in favor of other, better stories.

Isn't that what Fire & Stone is about? It's been a while since I read it.

Immortan Jonesy

Prometheus' viral publicity teased Yutani, before the merger. Maybe they can come with a mission to LV-223. Hopefully with a fresh story that does not culminate with the infected crew. There didn't seem to be much on LV-223, other than a few domes. But given it's fiction, they can invent something I guess.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed