Hunting Grounds @ PAX South

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 07, 2020, 08:11:44 AM

Author
Hunting Grounds @ PAX South (Read 10,028 times)

The Shuriken

The Shuriken

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Jan 19, 2020, 03:20:27 PM
Given the screens shown off at PAX, I guess I was kind of right about the female Berserker resembling the males to a degree.

Incredible that for about 30 people almost everything went right getting this game made.

There's a female berserker? I thought the female was her own class. Are there female options for each class?

AVP-CAPCOM

AVP-CAPCOM

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Jan 19, 2020, 05:24:46 PM
Probably in that Unreal Engine can be utilized by pretty much anybody. Unreal is pretty common so it tends to be used in a lot of material including fanmade content. That being said you can also get access to a few different engines. For the hell of it I got access to Cryengine awhile back for what was all things considered pretty cheap for a month or two's worth of access.

Thank you for articulating what I was thinking.

Not only is Unreal 4 easy to mod for, utilise and there are tons of unofficial remakes of games like Resident Evil (which often beat official games like RE-5), they are also free to download.

molasar

molasar

Quote from: AVP-CAPCOM on Jan 19, 2020, 05:52:16 PM
Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Jan 19, 2020, 05:24:46 PM
Probably in that Unreal Engine can be utilized by pretty much anybody. Unreal is pretty common so it tends to be used in a lot of material including fanmade content. That being said you can also get access to a few different engines. For the hell of it I got access to Cryengine awhile back for what was all things considered pretty cheap for a month or two's worth of access.

Thank you for articulating what I was thinking.

Not only is Unreal 4 easy to mod for, utilise and there are tons of unofficial remakes of games like Resident Evil (which often beat official games like RE-5), they are also free to download.

It is not a secret that PC games can be modded. Anyway I thought that you were suggesting that the devs went a cheap way and modified one of existing games built on UE4 into P: HG. Therefore my question regarded a clarification of your comment.

SuperiorIronman

According to the panel;

-They started with the 87 Predator
This is probably why in a few early screenshots the Ilfonic Predator had the 87 cannon before it got the glowing version. This also raises an interesting question if it's down to personal preference or not to use the 87 design since a ton of games in recent years used it and Ilfonic started with it. Customization was certainly something they'd been allowed to do so I'm curious as to how and why this showed up and tends to be used in most games.

-Classes started with the Hunter being first - Berserker - Scout
Assuming there isn't more to this means then that the loadout of wristblades and shoulder cannon probably started with the 87 Predator model. Though that apparently didn't last long because they got into customization talks early enough.

-The female seems to be a customization option
Around the 26-27 minute mark you can see the female model for the Scout, Hunter, and Berserker female Predators. Berserker looks to be the closes to the males so the stuff in the novels about Humans not being able to immediately tell them apart might still hold true in some sense. They did bring up the comics not being canon so this probably ignores everything pre-Darkhorse reboot. During this they say the original design only called for male and female. So I guess that calls into question whether the female could wear the Jungle Hunter armor or if the class system was early enough they didn't model it.

AVP-CAPCOM

AVP-CAPCOM

Quote from: molasar on Jan 19, 2020, 06:10:53 PMIt is not a secret that PC games can be modded. Anyway I thought that you were suggesting that the devs went a cheap way and modified one of existing games built on UE4 into P: HG. Therefore my question regarded a clarification of your comment.

Well unreal 4 is a cheap and easy game engine to mod for. If you look at the beta level design for P-H.G. the "black and grey chessboard" and "Third Person Template" player is present.

Having looked into Steam/Hammer mods versus Unreal 4 I can see why the latter is preferred over former. Unreal 4 engine is not that hard to mod for.

The Old One

The Old One

Glad to see the extensive customisation.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Jan 19, 2020, 03:20:27 PM
Given the screens shown off at PAX, I guess I was kind of right about the female Berserker resembling the males to a degree.

Incredible that for about 30 people almost everything went right getting this game made.

Wait, wait, wait... so was I correct in saying this was female?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Unknown if that specific one is, but it does seem there's male and female versions of all classes.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Which is great, imo  :)

Some of these locations look gorgeous!

This pre shot makes me long for a Los Angeles map though!

And check out how her dreads are done in the back...

acrediblesource

I wonder if Fox's merger with Disney while coinciding with this product's inception would substantially increase the budget and financing since both probably have different takes at funding projects like this or even Alien games in the future. Disney being more product oriented and Fox slamming the breaks on anything it owned.
I'm thinking, maybe we might be in for a treat this time around. Alien Isolation,although ground breaking, was financed back when Fox still had the franchise and or notably SEGA being pretty massive.

TheSailingRabbit

Voodoo is just happy the female Pred is not a Crabator.

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 20, 2020, 03:27:10 PM

I love this, I can tell its female but its not that different from what we've already seen.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Jan 21, 2020, 05:26:55 PM
Voodoo is just happy the female Pred is not a Crabator.

Damn straight!

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Jan 21, 2020, 05:58:32 PM

I love this, I can tell its female but its not that different from what we've already seen.

Yes, agreed!

I do appreciate there was a lot of consideration taken with her:

• "The design for the female Predator took considerable time as Fox was very heavily involved in process. It involved a great deal of back and forth changing elements, but Illfonic is very proud of what they've achieved with her."

molasar

molasar

She only misses some eyebrows and lipstick makeup. Illfonic should make it customizable.

Some real life examples below.

Scary one

Pagan

Thug style

Weird World

Enjoy

Enjoy

As a outsider I have always found the sexisim in the online gaming community in general to be sad, not to mention the tribal arguments over predboobs.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed