Chinese Edit of Covenant Has No Aliens?

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 06, 2017, 02:40:29 PM

Author
Chinese Edit of Covenant Has No Aliens? (Read 48,066 times)

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: That Yellow Alien on Jun 06, 2017, 03:03:41 PM
How...how is that even possible? The movie will be incoherent.

And why?

Haha this country is incoherent regarding movies so that make sense

Rudiger

Quote from: That Yellow Alien on Jun 06, 2017, 03:03:41 PM
How...how is that even possible? The movie will be incoherent.

And why?

As if that bothers Fox...

Ingwar

What a punch for Fox. KO.

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Omegamorph on Jun 06, 2017, 03:08:55 PM
There's two ways they did this

a. they replaced the Alien with the Neomorph (unlikely)

b. they jump-cut to them leaving right after the android kung-fu (removing Oram's death beforehand, perhaps cutting before he enters the chamber leaving his fate unknown) and jump-cut AGAIN to the ending scene (so basically they assume the crew has left unscathed). That way should be around 20 minutes or so of cut footage

But the run time is 116mins so thats only bout 7mins removed isn't it?

juxtapose

like the BO was not bad enought already?. .whats left of covenant won't be enought to even double the production cost. .i am actually starting to long for an avp 3. .never thought i would say this. .guess thats the only way we will ever get the xeno back on the screen again. .

Nukiemorph

Horrible, horrible news...

900SL

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Jun 06, 2017, 03:49:47 PM
Quote from: Omegamorph on Jun 06, 2017, 03:08:55 PM
There's two ways they did this

a. they replaced the Alien with the Neomorph (unlikely)

b. they jump-cut to them leaving right after the android kung-fu (removing Oram's death beforehand, perhaps cutting before he enters the chamber leaving his fate unknown) and jump-cut AGAIN to the ending scene (so basically they assume the crew has left unscathed). That way should be around 20 minutes or so of cut footage

But the run time is 116mins so thats only bout 7mins removed isn't it?

They will have added other footage to pad it out. Maybe the crossing etc.

Darkness

To be fair, not every Hollywood movie even gets a cinema release in China. If you're not on the list, it doesn't get shown. This news really isn't surprising with the censorship over there. It will still make some money which is better than nothing.

0321recon

Quote from: 900SL on Jun 06, 2017, 04:02:59 PM

They will have added other footage to pad it out. Maybe the crossing etc.

One would hope Fox at least did that, so it won't be a mess.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Were the Chinese censors unhappy about the quality of the Alien CGI?  :P

Anyway, my signature has been amended...

echobbase79

I'd be curious to see this version just for fun. That's really odd though.

Protozoid

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 06, 2017, 02:51:16 PM
QuoteChinese version is 116 min confirmed by official license. FOX held limited previews few hours ago. Audience said no Alien

https://twitter.com/weier1231997/status/872103456533774336
Chinese test audience says no Alien. Does this mean Ridley Scott and Damon Lindelof and Tom Rothman get to have their "I told you so!" moment at Fox? For Ridley, this must be an especially bitter "I told you so" moment. The most populous country in the world doesn't want the alien at all. Fox really effed this up.

I wonder if this movie is better with seven minutes of leaping CGI lizards chopped out. More like the original film, no doubt.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Protozoid on Jun 06, 2017, 05:35:23 PM
QuoteChinese version is 116 min confirmed by official license. FOX held limited previews few hours ago. Audience said no Alien

Chinese test audience says no Alien. Does this mean Ridley Scott and Damon Lindelof and Tom Rothman get to have their "I told you so!" moment at Fox? For Ridley, this must be an especially bitter "I told you so" moment. The most populous country in the world doesn't want the alien at all. Fox really effed this up.

I wonder if this movie is better with seven minutes of leaping CGI lizards chopped out. More like the original film, no doubt.

It wasn't the preview audience who wanted "NO ALIEN!" It's probably China's censors who cut it out.

Nice try though.  :)

Robopadna

It isn't that they don't want it, their censors won't allow it. It's not a fair comparison either because I can't fathom the movie making any sense.

It won't be anything like the original film. The characters are still very poorly defined but now the alien isn't even in the film.

Protozoid

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jun 06, 2017, 05:41:02 PM

It wasn't the preview audience who wanted "NO ALIEN!" It's probably China's censors who cut it out.

Nice try though.  :)
Read the post I was responding to. "Test audience" said "no alien", not censors. Plain as day.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed