Who should handle the creature effects for Alien 5?

Started by RidgeTop, Feb 24, 2015, 04:25:27 PM

What practical effects studio would you like to see handle the Xenomorphs or other design elements in Alien 5?

Weta Workshop
20 (51.3%)
Amalgamated Dynamics, Inc.
7 (17.9%)
KNB EFX
0 (0%)
Legacy Effects (Formerly Stan Winston Studio)
12 (30.8%)
Spectral Motion
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author
Who should handle the creature effects for Alien 5? (Read 5,209 times)

shakermakerman

I see ADI are throwing a spanner in ...

Gash

Hmm, they're not doing themselves any favours bringing that alien out of storage.

shakermakerman

That statue looks better than what they produced  :laugh: .

Nightmare Asylum

Collaboration between Weta Workshop and Weta Digital.

OmegaZilla

Quote from: shakermakerman on Mar 05, 2015, 07:07:35 PM
Even though it's a painted cast of the Resurrection Aliens?

Local Trouble

Quote from: Gash on Mar 05, 2015, 07:01:19 PM
Hmm, they're not doing themselves any favours bringing that alien out of storage.

Too many fools don't notice the difference.

SuicideDoors

Anyone but ADI. Please f**king god say they're not involved. The fact that tom woodruff posted a photo of himself in aliens armour next to a alien resurrection mould says everything. He'll wear the suit in alien 5 and look like a chubby actor in a plastic costume. Anyone but them, please

shakermakerman

Quote from: OpenMaw on Feb 25, 2015, 08:41:30 AM
Stan Winston Studios.
This
Quote from: Omegazilla on Mar 05, 2015, 08:16:21 PM
Quote from: shakermakerman link=topic=524 83.msg2047746#msg2047746 date=1425582455
Even though it's a painted cast of the Resurrection Aliens?
it looks better than the rubber crap we got.

The Cruentus

Quote from: SuicideDoors on Mar 05, 2015, 09:34:11 PM
Anyone but ADI. Please f**king god say they're not involved. The fact that tom woodruff posted a photo of himself in aliens armour next to a alien resurrection mould says everything. He'll wear the suit in alien 5 and look like a chubby actor in a plastic costume. Anyone but them, please

You do realize that ADI are not the problem right? its the directors and studio that makes the design choices and cuts corners.
They are just doing their jobs to a T, the choices are not theirs.

Any of the poll choices above could be forced to make a fleshy crap looking alien if it is requested by the director or studio. So people really need to lay off ADI.

HuDaFuK

Yeah, I don't get the hate for ADI. Sure there Aliens looked crap, but how much of that was down to the design they were told to produce?

From a technical standpoint, their work is great.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

People just think, "I don't like the Alien design. Who did the special effects?!" they go over at IMDb and ADI are listed as the creators of the effects... so "ADI sucks pls don't bring them back!!!1" An incredibly piss poor thing to say.

Nightmare Asylum

Aye, ADI have done some incredible work (including, but not limited to, their work on the various incarnations of the Alien).

I myself am much more fond of the Alien aesthetic than the Resurrection aesthetic, but unfortunately that's not the direction that the latter directors went in. Can't fault ADI for doing what they were hired to do.

SuicideDoors

SuicideDoors

Quote from: Omegazilla on Mar 06, 2015, 09:09:44 PM
People just think, "I don't like the Alien design. Who did the special effects?!" they go over at IMDb and ADI are listed as the creators of the effects... so "ADI sucks pls don't bring them back!!!1" An incredibly piss poor thing to say.

Tom has portrayed the Alien since Alien 3 too pal. Every shot he's in I can tell it's a man in a suit whereas in the 1979 film the illusion is much better, despite it STILL being a man in a suit. I'd be willing to bet money Tom will insist on being in the suit again and I just don't think he's tall or slight enough

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 06, 2015, 09:16:42 PM
Aye, ADI have done some incredible work (including, but not limited to, their work on the various incarnations of the Alien).

I myself am much more fond of the Alien aesthetic than the Resurrection aesthetic, but unfortunately that's not the direction that the latter directors went in. Can't fault ADI for doing what they were hired to do.

They were so hands on with the creature designs in the AvP films too and fluffed all them up. They've had their chance. Remember the mandibles on Scar in AvP? Or the Predalien in general. Woeful

Nightmare Asylum

Tom didn't direct the moves, though.  Also, the Predalien is what the filmmakers and Fox requested. ADI just worked with the orders given to them.

The Cruentus

Quote from: SuicideDoors on Mar 07, 2015, 04:45:18 PM
Tom has portrayed the Alien since Alien 3 too pal. Every shot he's in I can tell it's a man in a suit whereas in the 1979 film the illusion is much better, despite it STILL being a man in a suit. I'd be willing to bet money Tom will insist on being in the suit again and I just don't think he's tall or slight enough
The lighting is different in those films, Alien 3 tended to have an orange or bronze tint all the time, whereas the previous films were far darker and obscure.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed