Advent & Other Deletes

Started by juhuston, Aug 02, 2017, 12:21:06 AM

Author
Advent & Other Deletes (Read 17,951 times)

0321recon

0321recon

Quote from: CainsSon on Aug 04, 2017, 05:43:41 PM
Quote from: Biomechanoid on Aug 04, 2017, 11:51:02 AM
Quote from: Kane's other son on Aug 04, 2017, 10:00:23 AM
These lines are interesting: "Tribes told of ancient ceremony. Such cruelty, once thrived, long since frozen over". Doesn't it imply that the alien lifecycle is ancient and David is bringing back / perfecting the creature?

I would agree with tleilaxu. Remember, David states that the substance is mutable and creates chaotic and unique results. Unique being the key word here. My impression is whoever experiments with the substance will not necessarily produce an exact replica of another's experiments. One of David's unique results produced the neomorph.

There's actually three separate transmission logs that David sends to the Weyland Network:

TRANSMISSION LOG D.8: SURGICAL INVESTIGATION. SPECIAL ORDER 754. EXPERIMENTAL TRIALS.
TRANSMISSION LOG D.13: RITUALS AND CUSTOMS. SPECIAL ORDER 899. PSYCHOLOGICAL TESTING.
TRANSMISSION LOG D.21: XENOMORPHIC ENTITY. SPECIAL ORDER 931. ADVANCED WEAPONS RESEARCH.

That line you quote is within the Rituals and Custom log. Illustrations are shown of Engineers impregnated with chestbursters but not exactly like the traditional chestburster that cinema fans are acquainted with. Illustrations also included various versions associated to xenomorph physiology, but diverse enough to see a distinct difference from the Alien of 1979. So both the Engineers and David produced various versions of the creature.

And speaking of SPECIAL ORDER. I wonder if this has any association with Special Order 937 from Alien 79. There's no apparent conflict in the special order number sequence. This raises the question whether David was acting in part on special orders from the corporation before he went astray with his own agenda.

Nice catch with the SPECIAL ORDER numbers.
I have my theory that this ADVENT may be FOX'S way of wrapping things up, and I am curious to find out if this "Viral" was produced during the making of the COVENANT or after-the-fact. I think, this pretty much establishes the connection to ALIEN firmly, especially if we are up to SPECIAL ORDER 931. Which, curiously is slated as being for ADVANCED WEAPONS RESEARCH.

ADVENT, it seems, TO ME, and I'm curious what others think, to reek of  saying "Enough already. We need to explicitly tell people what's happening here." In lieu of too many misunderstandings. Since, it basically establishes the direct link to ALIEN with David's contact and the SPECIAL ORDER NO. As well as, pretty much answering all the questions begun in PROMETHEUS...

This whole "What does the Black Goo do?" and many of the questions with the Engineers have concrete answers, or at least, concrete directions in which to pursue those answers. They are pretty much what we all expected anyway, answer wise. It's too bad that these answers didn't actually find there way into the films. Especially the BLACK GOO, I felt COVENANT needed to focus on that directly and it never comes up.

My theory is: FOX either saved the props and contents of DAVID'S LAB or shot this on set, in the case of; they saw the response to the film, and whether they had this planned as a possibility during the production or not, they shot this with someone else's hands and tagged Michael Fassbinder to record the voiceover.

Either way, the prequel series seems pretty wrapped up here. For better or worse. And it may even hint to the direction they want to take the series next. With all the ADVANCED WEAPONS RESEARCH and talk of UNLEASHING the Xeno onto the Galaxy and the QUEEN and even the Wolves and Antique Biological mutations, it seems Scott was never intending to wipe out any of the things people accused him of, continuity wise.

It should be noted the ADVENT doesn't contradict any of the films in the franchise.

Quote from: tleilaxu on Aug 04, 2017, 11:10:59 AM
Quote from: Kane's other son on Aug 04, 2017, 10:00:23 AM
These lines are interesting: "Tribes told of ancient ceremony. Such cruelty, once thrived, long since frozen over". Doesn't it imply that the alien lifecycle is ancient and David is bringing back / perfecting the creature?
No, it implies David found his own wolf, which may be similar but not identical to the original "wolf".
Also, somebody should upload this scene on youtube.

This! It does imply that David did necessarily CREATE the Xeno and all the talk about excising WOLVES and etc, makes sense out of what they found in PROMETHEUS.
Listen to Corporal Hicks interview with Dan Halett on the avp galaxy podcast. They talk about this. From what I remember it was shot after the crew had wrapped up shooting though before the sets were scrapped last year. They go into detail on how the film was before it was edited down.

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

With all the ADVANCED WEAPONS RESEARCH and talk of UNLEASHING the Xeno onto the Galaxy and the QUEEN and even the Wolves and Antique Biological mutations, it seems Scott was never intending to wipe out any of the things people accused him of, continuity wise.

Another amusing aspect of that Advent scene regarding the Queen: In the film, Walter loses his left hand while defending Daniels from the neomorph. Later, David and Walter do battle. We are led to believe Walter bested David. But as we all know, apparently David sacrificed his own left hand to sell his deceit that he is Walter. In the Advent video when he brags about creating his queen, he touches Daniels' cryo chamber with his left hand. Perhaps androids have regenerative properties?

Now I realize they just simply used footage from the film for those few frames, but the Advent video paints the picture David was talking and it shows him at work on his research that's not seen in the film. So I was buying into this video was featuring David in scenes not shown in the film....until that Queen scene. In real world, my guess is Fassbender recorded the audio and they hired an extra for the hand action (the Advent video never shows his face)

Also, I realize this could be easily dismissed that he saved his hand, tucked it away in his jumpsuit and later reattached it.

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: Biomechanoid on Aug 04, 2017, 11:08:59 PM
With all the ADVANCED WEAPONS RESEARCH and talk of UNLEASHING the Xeno onto the Galaxy and the QUEEN and even the Wolves and Antique Biological mutations, it seems Scott was never intending to wipe out any of the things people accused him of, continuity wise.

Another amusing aspect of that Advent scene regarding the Queen: In the film, Walter loses his left hand while defending Daniels from the neomorph. Later, David and Walter do battle. We are led to believe Walter bested David. But as we all know, apparently David sacrificed his own left hand to sell his deceit that he is Walter. In the Advent video when he brags about creating his queen, he touches Daniels' cryo chamber with his left hand. Perhaps androids have regenerative properties?

Now I realize they just simply used footage from the film for those few frames, but the Advent video paints the picture David was talking and it shows him at work on his research that's not seen in the film. So I was buying into this video was featuring David in scenes not shown in the film....until that Queen scene. In real world, my guess is Fassbender recorded the audio and they hired an extra for the hand action (the Advent video never shows his face)

Also, I realize this could be easily dismissed that he saved his hand, tucked it away in his jumpsuit and later reattached it.

Its likely just a continuity error. I do think the images on ADVENT are meant to be flashbacks to David doing the work, in the past. Although, I suppose it could also be Walter in David's lab presently, having regrown his hand.

Personally I find the idea of androids regenerating a hand to be a bit over the top.

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

Quote from: CainsSon on Aug 05, 2017, 04:41:55 AM
Its likely just a continuity error. I do think the images on ADVENT are meant to be flashbacks to David doing the work, in the past.

Sounds like the best explanation to me.

QuoteAlthough, I suppose it could also be Walter in David's lab presently, having regrown his hand.

My guess is not likely since he introduces himself as David in the Advent video.

QuotePersonally I find the idea of androids regenerating a hand to be a bit over the top.

I meant that to be in jest. I should have tagged it with a wink emoticon.

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: Biomechanoid on Aug 05, 2017, 05:12:44 AM
Quote from: CainsSon on Aug 05, 2017, 04:41:55 AM
Its likely just a continuity error. I do think the images on ADVENT are meant to be flashbacks to David doing the work, in the past.

Sounds like the best explanation to me.

QuoteAlthough, I suppose it could also be Walter in David's lab presently, having regrown his hand.

My guess is not likely since he introduces himself as David in the Advent video.

QuotePersonally I find the idea of androids regenerating a hand to be a bit over the top.

I meant that to be in jest. I should have tagged it with a wink emoticon.

Noted. Noted. Def true about Walter.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Not my link -

Evanus

Evanus

The extended intro is honestly the only one that really interests me.

Vrastal

Vrastal

I haven't had a chance to see advent, but from the teaser of it; its a report, David is using  recorded (because why wouldnt android record important moments?) scenes while narrating. And sending it all back to earth(?) So that he could test his experiments, or get WY to further his studies

iain

iain

I loved Advent..wtf were they doing cutting it?????

Evanus

Evanus

Cutting it?... How could it ever fit in the film? It was clearly meant to be a viral video.

kwisatz

kwisatz

Lol that queen line.

Getting closer Ridley, almost there...

Spoiler
[close]

bleau

bleau

Quote from: Evanus on Aug 07, 2017, 05:20:19 PM
Cutting it?... How could it ever fit in the film? It was clearly meant to be a viral video.

Oh Please, I'm sure it's possible. I actually like Prometheus a lot more with the virals edited in. Seemless, The only con was it makes first half seem really long, thus making third act seem too short.

Nukiemorph

Nukiemorph

It could have worked as a stinger...  That's basically what it will be for me any time I watch the movie.

gantarat

gantarat

Quote from: bleau on Aug 08, 2017, 12:46:08 AM
Quote from: Evanus on Aug 07, 2017, 05:20:19 PM

Oh Please, I'm sure it's possible. I actually like Prometheus a lot more with the virals edited in. Seemless, The only con was it makes first half seem really long, thus making third act seem too short.

After Credit scene that it.

markweatherill

markweatherill

Advent looks like something cobbled together at minimal cost.

Phobos is just ill-advised. Was some of that really images and sounds of alien creatures ie 'xenomorphs'?

But, these short films exist in the canon. So.... David's transmissions, made some time after the events of Alien:Covenant, must have travelled through a timewarp to reach W-Y before the mission launched, enabling W-Y to plan out the whole thing. Oh, you don't like the thought of something burrowing into your body? Great, you're perfect for this mission! ....and by the way that means David is really Walter too!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed