Alien: Covenant Concept Art/Behind-the-Scenes Thread *spoilers*

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 17, 2017, 10:11:32 AM

Author
Alien: Covenant Concept Art/Behind-the-Scenes Thread *spoilers* (Read 389,281 times)

Baron Von Marlon

In the David's Drawings accompanying book, Danet Hallett and Matt Hatton mention work that got rejected for being too gruesome. I think it was the Shaw stuff. Hope we get to see it some day.

The Old One

The Old One

Perhaps.

I hope so.

Delta Echo Alpha Delta

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Oct 15, 2018, 02:38:03 AM
In the David's Drawings accompanying book, Danet Hallett and Matt Hatton mention work that got rejected for being too gruesome. I think it was the Shaw stuff. Hope we get to see it some day.

The drawing was in the book, the one with tumours growing out of Shaw's back.

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: muthur9000 on Nov 16, 2018, 08:43:32 AM

Could be wrong but I think it were several drawings.
I have to read the book again but I think he said something in the lines of "The first batch we did was considered too brutal/gruesome. So we had to dial it back a little."

Corporal Hicks

Ingwar

Interesting stuff. Thanks Hicks.

Corporal Hicks

I'm an hour in and Clara asked a lot of the questions we often see some up. In particular How can a Neutrino burst damage the ship (it doesn't, it's the following shockwave) and how can a planet be hidden. Definitely worth a listen if you were curious about those kind of things!

Delta Echo Alpha Delta

Delta Echo Alpha Delta

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Nov 17, 2018, 05:19:19 AM
Quote from: muthur9000 on Nov 16, 2018, 08:43:32 AM

Could be wrong but I think it was several drawings.
I have to read the book again but I think he said something in the lines of "The first batch we did was considered too brutal/gruesome. So we had to dial it back a little."

I am just going by what they told me, but now you have me wondering. Maybe I'll ask Dane next time he rings.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 22, 2018, 09:03:52 AM
I'm an hour in and Clara asked a lot of the questions we often see some up. In particular, How can a Neutrino burst damage the ship (it doesn't, it's the following shockwave) and how can a planet be hidden. Definitely worth a listen if you were curious about those kind of things!

Thanks Hicks.

I am kinda sad my first recording didn't work. We also previously discussed how radiation in space is visible and that the Covenant is deceptively dark, whereas the space station itself is quite bright and astronauts find it hard to sleep because of the flashing they see in front of their eyes from cosmic rays that permeate the hull and their eyes/eyelids.

We also had lots of jokes about how some people have said the space sequences looked unrealistic or fake. I told him that I have read somewhere that it looked like they were "making things up" as they went along. He kept on saying "I better go do my fake job now" cause my recording was before he starts his all-night shift at the observatory.  :P

Still Collating...

Just finished the interview. Really appreciated some of those fan questions being answered. Thanks for asking them and a good interview overall.
For me the neutrino part was the only thing that stuck out to me as a bit weird, but now I've learned something new as well about supernova which is is awesome cause I'm a astronomy geek.
I thought the beginning third of Covenant was beautiful and a lot of those nitpicks we've heard before were too much and a sometimes even ridiculous. I'm really glad the beginning got that much attention and because of the effort put into it and the accuracy, I honestly appreciate the movie a bit more now.
I love when movies have qualified consultants and they actually listen to them.

muthur9000, you mentioned in the interview that you talked to a biologist about the spores on Planet 4, so where did you post that talk? Because I can't find it on your site and I'd really like to read what a biologist has to say about that stuff.  ;D

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Still Collating... on Nov 24, 2018, 03:29:07 PM
muthur9000, you mentioned in the interview that you talked to a biologist about the spores on Planet 4, so where did you post that talk? Because I can't find it on your site and I'd really like to read what a biologist has to say about that stuff.  ;D

It was at the bottom of the post with Brad's interview -

We had a question about the Biology of Planet 4, unfortunately, it is outside of Brad's expertise but our friend XenoPark, a Discord and Patreon supporter, is a Biologist and was able to answer these questions.

If Planet 4 was completely ridden of all lifeforms how could there be trees, don't they need carbon dioxide to grow?

So in the flashback, we see that there is flora on planet 4, and from David's diary we see the fauna as well, beetles, molluscs. David says that the accelerant goes after meat (maybe it seeks out special proteins, etc.), kills, mutates, or creates parasites which can kill the engineers, and we suppose the complete fauna on the planet. When the Covenant crew arrives we see the planet is empty, and there are big forest, trees, moss.

So could there be trees?
Yes, if the accelerant truly does not harm plant life, and what we see is the original flora before David. Secondly, if the plants and trees are pollinated by wind/water like many species here on Earth. These kind of species are not dependent on animal pollinators (invertebrates, birds, bats), and could thrive. If there were other pollinating strategies, for example with beetles, in that case, those species went extinct. Thirdly there are no plant-eating animals present.
We see that possibly the atmosphere on planet 4 is like on Earth, the Covenant crew can breathe without difficulty, and we saw in Prometheus that the engineers need the same type of gases. So what happened here on Earth is that plants were the first organisms that colonised land, because their efficient strategy to exploit the carbon dioxide filled atmosphere (and there were no other opponents present) After that plant radiation started, slowly the atmosphere filled with oxygen as a by-product, which helped invertebrates to radiate to land (because the not so efficient breathing prevented previously), and later amphibians as well. If we pull out the animals from the ecosystem, I don't think plant life would be thriving after 10 years, a bunch of the species would die out. After a while, those species would step into this empty place, which is not dependent on animals. Or it is thriving because the level of animal dependence was very low, before the bombing. So there is plenty of carbon dioxide naturally in the atmosphere.

How did the moss in the juggernaut grow in the dark?
Basically, it can't. Moss is not entirely a plant, but it needs high humidity to reproduce (spores are carried by water drops), and light. Maybe, it is not a moss, something else, and it can live without direct sunlight. Or it's in a relationship with that green slime found by David on the control panel in Prometheus. There are unicellular organisms which can switch from photosynthesis when there is light, to predation at night. Maybe sometimes the juggernaut boots up and emits some light. Moss can lie dormant, and with a single drop of water, it can turn into green in a couple of seconds.

Still Collating...

OMG I must be going blind.  :laugh:

Thanks!

Delta Echo Alpha Delta

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 24, 2018, 08:04:44 PM

It was at the bottom of the post with Brad's interview -

We had a question about the Biology of Planet 4, unfortunately, it is outside of Brad's expertise but our friend XenoPark, a Discord and Patreon supporter, is a Biologist and was able to answer these questions.

If Planet 4 was completely ridden of all lifeforms how could there be trees, don't they need carbon dioxide to grow?

So in the flashback, we see that there is flora on planet 4, and from David's diary we see the fauna as well, beetles, molluscs. David says that the accelerant goes after meat (maybe it seeks out special proteins, etc.), kills, mutates, or creates parasites which can kill the engineers, and we suppose the complete fauna on the planet. When the Covenant crew arrives we see the planet is empty, and there are big forest, trees, moss.

So could there be trees?
Yes, if the accelerant truly does not harm plant life, and what we see is the original flora before David. Secondly, if the plants and trees are pollinated by wind/water like many species here on Earth. These kind of species are not dependent on animal pollinators (invertebrates, birds, bats), and could thrive. If there were other pollinating strategies, for example with beetles, in that case, those species went extinct. Thirdly there are no plant-eating animals present.
We see that possibly the atmosphere on planet 4 is like on Earth, the Covenant crew can breathe without difficulty, and we saw in Prometheus that the engineers need the same type of gases. So what happened here on Earth is that plants were the first organisms that colonised land, because their efficient strategy to exploit the carbon dioxide filled atmosphere (and there were no other opponents present) After that plant radiation started, slowly the atmosphere filled with oxygen as a by-product, which helped invertebrates to radiate to land (because the not so efficient breathing prevented previously), and later amphibians as well. If we pull out the animals from the ecosystem, I don't think plant life would be thriving after 10 years, a bunch of the species would die out. After a while, those species would step into this empty place, which is not dependent on animals. Or it is thriving because the level of animal dependence was very low, before the bombing. So there is plenty of carbon dioxide naturally in the atmosphere.

How did the moss in the juggernaut grow in the dark?
Basically, it can't. Moss is not entirely a plant, but it needs high humidity to reproduce (spores are carried by water drops), and light. Maybe, it is not a moss, something else, and it can live without direct sunlight. Or it's in a relationship with that green slime found by David on the control panel in Prometheus. There are unicellular organisms which can switch from photosynthesis when there is light, to predation at night. Maybe sometimes the juggernaut boots up and emits some light. Moss can lie dormant, and with a single drop of water, it can turn into green in a couple of seconds.

Thanks Corporal Hicks

Just finished the interview. Really appreciated some of those fan questions being answered. Thanks for asking them and a good interview overall.
For me the neutrino part was the only thing that stuck out to me as a bit weird, but now I've learned something new as well about supernova which is is awesome cause I'm a astronomy geek.
I thought the beginning third of Covenant was beautiful and a lot of those nitpicks we've heard before were too much and a sometimes even ridiculous. I'm really glad the beginning got that much attention and because of the effort put into it and the accuracy, I honestly appreciate the movie a bit more now.
I love when movies have qualified consultants and they actually listen to them.

Thanks for the feedback, and yes it was at the bottom of the post XD

Baron Von Marlon

Thanks Hicks and muthur for you work.

I wish this would all end up in some encyclopedia about the series.
One part with all the facts and research. Another part with all the best possible theories.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed