Alien: Covenant Concept Art/Behind-the-Scenes Thread *spoilers*

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 17, 2017, 10:11:32 AM

Author
Alien: Covenant Concept Art/Behind-the-Scenes Thread *spoilers* (Read 398,492 times)

XENOMORPHOSIS

Hmm neat, it might have been an issue of budget why it went from Prometheus 2 toe the economically feasible Horror retro Alien nostalgic horror Alien Covenant.

0321recon

Some of the concept is dark and beautiful - definitely gothic akin to Giger. This is what I imagined of the world David and Shaw would find once they reached 'Paradise'. 

It would be great to know what were factors that led to toning it down to what we saw in Covenant.

I hope some of this work could be re-worked and used for Awakening if it ever gets shot. 

Chris corkhill

Absolutely awesome stuff, i love it!

Huggs

Huggs

Wow! This is just beyond cool. It would have been really wild to have seen this stuff on film. Really great blend, dark and gothic yet beautifully organic. The street full of Aliens is really creepy. Are those transforming engineers I see? I'd love to see what this guy could do on a "thing" movie.

"I don't mind the idea of the Engineers becoming the Alien. It's quite a smart way to transition from a universe with Engineers into the universe we know with Aliens"

Sounds right. Perhaps due to infertility or disease their species was dying, and they chose forced evolution to survive. They left to various systems and planets first, in order to increase their chances of successful colonization once evolved. It went south though, and the cure became the disease. They became beasts, and lie in wait to fulfill their new purpose. Perhaps that's what happened to the waterfall engineer in Prometheus. In effort to save himself and/or his species, he unknowingly created us.

Dabaus

Dabaus

Wow, what could have been. I feel like that's what the franchise has devolved to at this point. A "what could have been, but never going to happen franchise." Fans have held out for so long for just one of these movies to get it right and they come so close only to have the rug ripped out from under them. So who do we blame?
     I think most of it falls on fox as a studio. They've let this franchise get to where it is. I wonder if scott was "forced" to re edit covenant to be the mish mash of ideas that it became.
     I think fox took the negative fan reaction of Prometheus to assume that we have to have the Black xenomorph. But that's not the case, the problem with Prometheus was it didn't make any damn sense and that it was pitched as Alien prequel with out aliens except a snake, a jellyfish, an angry bald dude and a 1 second glimpse of what everyone came to see.
     They didn't need to kill off all the engineers offscreen and force the xenomorph life cycle into a film it was obviously not intended for. Had they went ahead and made this fans would have been thrilled.
     It looks unique, it has creatures, it has horror, and had it answered some of the lingering questions from Prometheus it probably would have been a hit and retroactively made Prometheus a serviceable film in its own right.
      I blame fox for not wanting to take a chance. Wanting to play it safe and getting the dud that we did. Unfortunately it's the fans that have to pay the price, fox are laughing all the way to the bank no thanks to disny.

Kane's other son

I really liked Covenant but these are glimpses to a more ambitious movie.
I hope we get to read the script(s) some day.

Romansky

Damn, the pictures almost tell a story of their own. Great stuff. With covenant 2 scraped maybe we can finally get a story like this a year or two down the road. Hopefully.

Cannibal

I love idea of eggmorphing from Alien 1. I wanted this staff in Covenant.

Perfect-Organism

Damn, how come this stuff wasn't in the art book I bought?

Evanus

Man, that concept art is exactly what I wanted from a Prometheus sequel. I hope they'll use some of it for a future film.

Baron Von Marlon

Seems originally we were in for a real treat.

I'm thinking David uses the goo to destroy Engineers.
And surviving Engineers who were out of reach, use their special version of the goo to become Deacons in order to destroy David and cleanse their planet.

It's the negative version of the creation ritual at the beginning of Prometheus. Creating death/destruction in the form of Deacon.
Fits in with the mural in the ampule room, where there was supposed to be another sacrifical cup instead of the green crystal.

Scorpio

Glad they didn't go with the Giger look for the city.  They already used it in Prometheus enough I think.

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 28, 2017, 05:38:59 AM
Glad they didn't go with the Giger look for the city.  They already used it in Prometheus enough I think.

As much as I love the city in Covenant, I think it would've been perfect if it was mixed with Giger.
Not darker or anything, just a little coat of Giger paint over the buildings.

lolwut

Can anyone tell me why concept art always look better than what we get in the end? Are they sabotaging themselves on purpose???

Huggs

"Seems originally we were in for a real treat"

We can only hope a script was written for this. With alittle luck, we may someday get to experience it at least on that level. Covenant over this?   ???  C'mon Hollywood.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed