Alien: Covenant Concept Art/Behind-the-Scenes Thread *spoilers*

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 17, 2017, 10:11:32 AM

Author
Alien: Covenant Concept Art/Behind-the-Scenes Thread *spoilers* (Read 397,208 times)

Quarax

Looks like there's a bit of hair on picture 22.

RidgeTop

As with Prometheus, these excellent art pieces and practical effects really show the wasted potential.

lv_226

Why in the hell did they not use the practical suits?! HOLY SHIT! All of that work, for what?!

Bishop2

Are you sure they DIDN'T?

Reminds me of how people thought The Thing prequel didn't use practical effects. But the effects were so smooth that they didn't realize they WERE mostly practical...

Huggs

That little "wheat bug" is awesome. The close up view just screams Giger. He Really, truly captured the feel there. The white-room is alittle weird. "Hey there Mr. Robot, welcome to existence, oh look! Man Buttocks!"  ;D

Whos_Nick

The Aliens in the film were noticeably CGI, which is a shame. These suits looked great.

MrSpaceJockey

Quote from: Bishop2 on May 23, 2017, 03:19:53 AM
Are you sure they DIDN'T?

Reminds me of how people thought The Thing prequel didn't use practical effects. But the effects were so smooth that they didn't realize they WERE mostly practical...

No they weren't...most of the practical effects in the 2011 The Thing got covered up in CGI.  The Griggs thing.  The Edvard-Adam splitface thing.  The Juliette thing.  The arm that attacks Jonas's face.  If you look at ADI's work on those monsters, they all look quite different on film because they were replaced digitally.

On the other hand, Prometheus had a plethora of practical effects that I've seen people think were CGI.

Morose

Oh my God... The suits look amazing. Terrifying! Why did they use cgi instead? I actually got startled when I saw the alien holding onto the railing looking at the camera.

SizzyBubbles

WHAT THE CRAP. Those exquisite looking neomorph and alien suits just went to waste?!?! I would have killed to see those in the film! And they had a perfect actor for them too. How disappointing.

Gosh I am like, so mad about this now.

HarveyYan

There could be a proper explanation to why CGIs were used in the movie instead of real actors wearing exquisite alien suits, which is a simple one as well: because there are too much actions in the movie and it would be difficult to find a guy wearing an alien suit to do all those stuff adequately, if not elegantly.

zoidy

It's funny - the alien suit in those images with a *human* proportioned performer inside (as opposed to the very very tall thin actor in 79 alien suit) are the same ones some here thought looked terrible in the James Cordon sketch  ;D

cliffhanger

i'm not that fond of the suit, i am very pleased with the pic i posted before in regards to the face/head of the xeno which looks so much like big chap.

brennan4

It's cool how you can tell some of the Neomorphs concepts were modeled after Goblin sharks.

RidgeTop

By Artist Dane Hallett:

"A shameless re-jigging of a Giger original. This was done when early on in the production we thought we'd be legally allowed to reference the master directly. Legal stepped in and informed us otherwise. Hope you guys don't mind a drip feed of this stuff."

FYI, this art piece has nudity.

Spoiler
[close]

Corporal Hicks

Another piece from Dane -

QuoteIn terms of the timeline of Davids descent into madness, I intended this one to be just on the other side of the 'madness' tipping point. So it's got one foot in 'scientific study', while the rest is bordering on 'surreal nightmare'. Had to have the Xeno-secondary jaw hinted in the void of the mouth haha

Some new artwork from Wayne - https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Z21eG

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed