Disney & Fox Confirm Alien Series Remains In Development Under New Ownership!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 03, 2019, 11:27:02 PM

Author
Disney & Fox Confirm Alien Series Remains In Development Under New Ownership! (Read 80,095 times)

razeak

I think im going to have to try A:I on PC with some of these mods. It had me very tense during my time with it. I had to turn it off to relax lol.

Xiggz456

Quote from: SM on Sep 13, 2019, 01:37:49 AM
Quote from: Xiggz456 on Sep 13, 2019, 01:21:32 AM
Quote from: SM on Sep 12, 2019, 08:31:36 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 12, 2019, 09:48:37 AM
Quote from: SM on Sep 09, 2019, 12:13:21 PM
All entirely possible.  However my point is it's not really relevant to use Isolation as an argument against 'the beast is cooked', when it was really just re-heating the original beast.

I've got to disagree there. While sales wise, it disappointed Sega, it still proved that the Alien itself was an effective tool, even if it wasn't a massive departure from Alien. Unless the argument is "beast is cooked" = doesn't sell as well, opposed to not effective.

It's effective because it copied the first film.  If Ridley had done that, people would be complaining about that instead.

Sales is just an aside.

Isolation is effective because of its atmosphere, tension, and presentation which are traits that it obviously shares with the original film; but this same combination is missing from the prequels. Sure the presentation is there but there's very little tension and the atmosphere isn't exactly consistent with the previous films. Isolation showcased what works with the franchise and therefore is absolutely relevant to "the beast is cooked" argument, let alone that it made the alien scary again. It's one of the few entries that the fandom can actually agree on favorably unlike Ridley's last two entries.

Isolation was scary because it copied the first film.

I don't really agree with Riddles' 'beast if cooked' thing; but using a game that copied the movie that he made as an example has no merit.  I'll wait for when someone actually does something different and its scary as Alien.

That's fair enough but I think "copied" is a bit of an exaggeration. There's a term in art school known as "repetition and variation" and it's how artists come to create a signature style. For example Giger's artwork uses many of the same elements, characters, shading etc. in his work but there's still variations in each piece to both distinguish the individual works while still remaining completely Giger-Esque. Aliens, A3, and Isolation are all examples of repetition and variation of the first film so I don't see any issue with it as long as it works (which in reality is the really tricky part).

Evanus

Isolation totally copied the first film, and I loved it. It worked really well, because it's a game, I suppose. But would that work for a movie?

Either way I feel like the Alien itself can definitely be scary, they just need to, well..
Spoiler

:P
[close]

The Old One

The Old One

Indeed, that's the trick then. The Cold Forge is the only one do something new completely successfully since the main three IMO.

SM

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Sep 13, 2019, 04:31:25 PM
All entirely possible.  However my point is it's not really relevant to use Isolation as an argument against 'the beast is cooked', when it was really just re-heating the original beast.

I've got to disagree there. While sales wise, it disappointed Sega, it still proved that the Alien itself was an effective tool, even if it wasn't a massive departure from Alien. Unless the argument is "beast is cooked" = doesn't sell as well, opposed to not effective.

It's effective because it copied the first film.  If Ridley had done that, people would be complaining about that instead.

Sales is just an aside.

Isolation is effective because of its atmosphere, tension, and presentation which are traits that it obviously shares with the original film; but this same combination is missing from the prequels. Sure the presentation is there but there's very little tension and the atmosphere isn't exactly consistent with the previous films. Isolation showcased what works with the franchise and therefore is absolutely relevant to "the beast is cooked" argument, let alone that it made the alien scary again. It's one of the few entries that the fandom can actually agree on favorably unlike Ridley's last two entries.

I don't really agree with Riddles' 'beast if cooked' thing; but using a game that copied the movie that he made as an example has no merit.  I'll wait for when someone actually does something different and its scary as Alien.

That's fair enough but I think "copied" is a bit of an exaggeration. There's a term in art school known as "repetition and variation" and it's how artists come to create a signature style. For example Giger's artwork uses many of the same elements, characters, shading etc. in his work but there's still variations in each piece to both distinguish the individual works while still remaining completely Giger-Esque. Aliens, A3, and Isolation are all examples of repetition and variation of the first film so I don't see any issue with it as long as it works (which in reality is the really tricky part).

I thought it was a very deliberate copy, and that was part of the appeal after so many games focused on colonial marines.  It's the second half of Alien but on a space station and with more varied opportunities to take on the monster.  The station looks the same as the Nostromo, it's lit the same, the music has the same tone, the costumes are the same, etc.

Local Trouble

Now we need a game that copies the bait and chase stuff from Alien 3.

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 13, 2019, 10:48:06 PM
Now we need a game that copies the bait and chase stuff from Alien 3.
+ a game that copies the outlandish sexual stuff in Alien Res

Xiggz456

Quote from: SM on Sep 13, 2019, 09:37:10 PM
Quote from: Xiggz456 on Sep 13, 2019, 04:31:25 PM

Sales is just an aside.

I thought it was a very deliberate copy, and that was part of the appeal after so many games focused on colonial marines.  It's the second half of Alien but on a space station and with more varied opportunities to take on the monster.  The station looks the same as the Nostromo, it's lit the same, the music has the same tone, the costumes are the same, etc.

I agree with what you're saying to an extent but the elements you've mentioned that are the same don't necessarily guarantee a successful entry. Isolation laid the nostalgia on thick but that wasn't the only reason why it was good. But I'm with you on wanting to see something more original.

Dingbat

What I regret the most is thinking it wasn't on Xbox 360, only Xbox One; so I watched the playthrough done by Markiplier, it still scared me when I finally bought it but I'd have liked to have been less in the know than I was.

SM

QuoteI agree with what you're saying to an extent but the elements you've mentioned that are the same don't necessarily guarantee a successful entry.

Indeed.  But all the things I mentioned coupled with the gameplay seem to have done the job.

Local Trouble

SM

I'd get it on 360 if I could be really bothered hunting it down.

When I played it on my old PC, I had to shrink the screen down to the size of a postage stamp for it to run properly.

Local Trouble

SM

:o

$70 AUD for an old game during a time when stores almost giving away 360 games - except Isolation of course.

Think I'll try elsewhere.

Local Trouble

The downloadable version goes on sale fairly often.  I'll let you know when it does.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed