The Space Jockey

Started by Mystic Ninja, Nov 27, 2009, 05:00:05 PM

Author
The Space Jockey (Read 46,385 times)

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Highland on Apr 11, 2010, 05:15:49 AM
So he had very little to do with it, and wanted it in the movie? which is it?.
This isn't one of those "one or the other" arguments.

He wanted it in the movie, but he had little to do with its creation. O'Bannon dreamt it up, Giger designed it. Scott made sure it stayed in.

Quotehe made the jockey what it is today for Alien fans.
Only by virtue of being the one who ensured it made it into the picture. Its mysterious aspect was the work of the script, its lasting visual impression is the work of Giger.

QuoteFor me, he has the power to do what he likes with it.
Certainly does. But that doesn't mean he's the sole person, or even the most responsible, for it being what it is.

QuoteIts just pure hypocrisy that fans don't want the jockey, yet will run out and buy the Quadrilogy ... and then listen to 500+ minutes of commentary to see what they missed.
Pure wank.

It's apples and oranges.

They listen to the commentary for the behind the scenes stuff, not to have every mystery explained to them. I don't listen to Ridley's commentary on the 20th anniversary DVD to hear his ten seconds of postulation regarding the Jockey at the very end of the movie; I listen because it's a really interesting insight into the creation of the movie and its creative processes. I listen to the Quad features to hear the opinions of the people who made it, regarding the production of the picture and the final product itself.

There's a huge difference - to the point of there being no comparison - between wanting to know how the movie was made, and wanting to know the entire life-story of the Space Jockeys.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: SiL on Apr 11, 2010, 06:15:12 AM
Quote from: Highland on Apr 11, 2010, 05:15:49 AM
So he had very little to do with it, and wanted it in the movie? which is it?.
This isn't one of those "one or the other" arguments.

He wanted it in the movie, but he had little to do with its creation. O'Bannon dreamt it up, Giger designed it. Scott made sure it stayed in.

Quotehe made the jockey what it is today for Alien fans.
Only by virtue of being the one who ensured it made it into the picture. Its mysterious aspect was the work of the script, its lasting visual impression is the work of Giger.

QuoteFor me, he has the power to do what he likes with it.
Certainly does. But that doesn't mean he's the sole person, or even the most responsible, for it being what it is.

QuoteIts just pure hypocrisy that fans don't want the jockey, yet will run out and buy the Quadrilogy ... and then listen to 500+ minutes of commentary to see what they missed.
Pure wank.

It's apples and oranges.

They listen to the commentary for the behind the scenes stuff, not to have every mystery explained to them. I don't listen to Ridley's commentary on the 20th anniversary DVD to hear his ten seconds of postulation regarding the Jockey at the very end of the movie; I listen because it's a really interesting insight into the creation of the movie and its creative processes. I listen to the Quad features to hear the opinions of the people who made it, regarding the production of the picture and the final product itself.

There's a huge difference - to the point of there being no comparison - between wanting to know how the movie was made, and wanting to know the entire life-story of the Space Jockeys.

Why is it wank? Wank is giving the Alien ridges on it's head, or all of a sudden Queen Alien's just appearing out of LV426's ass crack, the fact that an alien walks on all 4's because it came from a dog or now spits acid. THATS wank.

Giving the power to the creator of the best movie in the franchise to expand on one of the most mysterious creatures in sci fi history isn't wank, it's bloody genius!

I just don't get how people can be so tolerant of the glaring fk ups and canon issues in every movie, and when the guy wants to go back to the original he gets shit for it because 75 alien fans like sketching alternate jockey storylines in their heads. (whilst missing the glaring fact that the alien has been screwed over royally for the past 30 years)

I like Star Wars, I hate the prequels, I still get the same sense of mystery when i watch Alec Guinness speaking to Luke, the last thing that enters my head is "bloody pod race" .

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Highland on Apr 11, 2010, 08:30:19 AM
Why is it wank?
I was talking about you comparing watching special features, to wanting to know about the Jockeys. The comparison is wank.

Quoteor all of a sudden Queen Alien's just appearing out of LV426's ass crack
Cameron explaining the mass of eggs, no different to if Scott explains the Jockeys.

Besides, lots of people hate the Queen and everything it stands for.

Quotethe fact that an alien walks on all 4's because it came from a dog.
You can thank Ridley Scott for the idea of host traits -- that one was all him.

Quoteand when the guy wants to go back to the original he gets shit for it because 75 alien fans like sketching alternate jockey storylines in their heads.
I haven't seen anyone here say 'f**k Ridley Scott' or give him personally any shit about it -- Just that they don't like the concept of the Jockeys being explained in no uncertain terms.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: SiL on Apr 11, 2010, 08:47:49 AM
Quote from: Highland on Apr 11, 2010, 08:30:19 AM
Why is it wank?
I was talking about you comparing watching special features, to wanting to know about the Jockeys. The comparison is wank.

Quoteor all of a sudden Queen Alien's just appearing out of LV426's ass crack
Cameron explaining the mass of eggs, no different to if Scott explains the Jockeys.

Besides, lots of people hate the Queen and everything it stands for.

Quotethe fact that an alien walks on all 4's because it came from a dog.
You can thank Ridley Scott for the idea of host traits -- that one was all him.

Quoteand when the guy wants to go back to the original he gets shit for it because 75 alien fans like sketching alternate jockey storylines in their heads.
I haven't seen anyone here say 'f**k Ridley Scott' or give him personally any shit about it -- Just that they don't like the concept of the Jockeys being explained in no uncertain terms.

My comparison with the vids is because i like the reveal, I like the way they explain how things come to pass, how design ideas, concepts and back story's mold the storyline and I'm sure others like them for the same reason. The guy's about to give us (potentially) the master copy and people are all of a sudden knocking it back?

These are Alien movie's not Jockey movies, If some other part of the mythos has to be explored to open up a quality storyline for the creature then it's a smart move, not a backwards one.

Trying not to step on people's toes gets you Cloned Ripley's , Alien hybrids and eggs that appear out of knowhere.

If the Jockey has to be sacrificed for a movie even half the quality of Alien, I really can't see the gripes.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Highland on Apr 11, 2010, 09:07:13 AM
My comparison with the vids is because i like the reveal, I like the way they explain how things come to pass, how design ideas, concepts and back story's mold the storyline and I'm sure others like them for the same reason.
Okay, but that's you. And, yes, plenty of others.

That doesn't, in the least, make anyone else hypocritical for wanting to know how the movies are made, but not the back-story. The two are not mutually exclusive sentiments.

QuoteThe guy's about to give us (potentially) the master copy and people are all of a sudden knocking it back?
There's nothing 'sudden' about it. People have been saying they don't want the Jockeys explained for years.

QuoteTrying not to step on people's toes gets you Cloned Ripley's
That stepped on plenty of people's toes.

QuoteAlien hybrids
As did that.

Quoteand eggs that appear out of knowhere.
And that. Hell, more than anything, that. And they knew it.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: SiL on Apr 11, 2010, 09:17:41 AM
Quote from: Highland on Apr 11, 2010, 09:07:13 AM
My comparison with the vids is because i like the reveal, I like the way they explain how things come to pass, how design ideas, concepts and back story's mold the storyline and I'm sure others like them for the same reason.
Okay, but that's you. And, yes, plenty of others.

That doesn't, in the least, make anyone else hypocritical for wanting to know how the movies are made, but not the back-story. The two are not mutually exclusive sentiments.

QuoteThe guy's about to give us (potentially) the master copy and people are all of a sudden knocking it back?
There's nothing 'sudden' about it. People have been saying they don't want the Jockeys explained for years.

QuoteTrying not to step on people's toes gets you Cloned Ripley's
That stepped on plenty of people's toes.

QuoteAlien hybrids
As did that.

Quoteand eggs that appear out of knowhere.
And that. Hell, more than anything, that. And they knew it.

So your agreeing with me then or what?

Would you sacrifice the jockey for the original Alien, or would you rather they pussy foot around and come up with some poppy cock storyline? (PS that's a yes /no question, no "i would like a good story without the jockey..". ;))

SiL

SiL

I'd rather have no movie, period.

jaztermareal

jaztermareal

Quote from: SiL on Apr 11, 2010, 10:38:42 AM

youd be in the minority.

predalien27

predalien27

Quote from: jaztermareal on Apr 11, 2010, 01:22:41 PM
Quote from: SiL on Apr 11, 2010, 10:38:42 AM

youd be in the minority.
And I would be, too.

SM

SM

An ever growing minority.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: jaztermareal on Apr 11, 2010, 01:22:41 PM
youd be in the minority.
Considering the average movie-goer would be entirely apathetic to whether one was made or not, wanting a new movie would be the minority view.

TJ Doc

TJ Doc

I don't want it.

But I'm glad we're getting a prequel rather than a remake.

kthxbai

Xenoscream

Xenoscream

The space jockey we saw in the first film? No thanks.

What I would like is a NEW mystery.

The Jockey Alien turning up alive or dead would be really cool - hopefully Giger could design it himself.

It seemed to me that derelict was very big, maybe a more thorough investigation would find some interesting stuff - maybe another type of Jockey growing out of a wall somewhere.

I don't think the where the alien comes from will be explained by left deliberately ambiguous.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed