Say something you LIKE about AVPR - Aliens vs Predator: Requiem.

Started by Voodoo Magic, Dec 09, 2018, 05:55:36 PM

Author
Say something you LIKE about AVPR - Aliens vs Predator: Requiem. (Read 102,128 times)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: DerelictShip on Dec 10, 2018, 02:05:40 PM
I can't find the cemetery scene anywhere? Could someone point me in the right direction or explain more.

A fairly long new scene is intercut with Wolf healing his wounds in the tree. First, we see Kelly and Molly running across a field and into a graveyard. The film then cuts to the panning shot following Wolf's flouresant blood trail up the tree to the branch on which he is perched; while this footage is the same as in the theatrical cut, in the Unrated Edition an air raid siren (signalling the evacuation Morales has ordered) can be heard in the background. After Wolf opens his Medicomp, we cut back to the graveyard, where Kelly and Molly run into Karl from the earlier power plant scene, who is hiding among the gravestones and is now armed with a revolver. He calls them over and nervously asks if they have seen the creatures that are stalking the town. After cutting to Wolf stapling his wound closed, the sequence returns to the graveyard, where Karl, Kelly and Molly react to Wolf's roar of pain. Molly keeps tearfully asking her mother why she left her father at the house, and Karl becomes increasingly angry that the young girl's wimpering will give away their position. Kelly tries to calm him down but he begins to threaten them; Wolf overhears and, seeing that Karl is armed, takes aim and blows his head off with his Plasmacasters. Kelly moves to pick up the dead man's revolver, but when she sees Wolf's laser pointer hovering over the gun she leaves it and flees with Molly. There is then a shot of Wolf's thermal vision as he watches them go (replacing the thermal shot of a line of traffic that is seen in the theatrical release), after which Wolf stands up as in the original cut. During this added sequence, a gravestone marked "Hawkins" is seen, an homage to Rick Hawkins from Predator.

You can read more here: http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Aliens_vs._Predator:_Requiem_Unrated_Edition

yautjapet

I did enjoy that scene of Wolf patching himself up in the tree. I always liked the scenes of the preds in P1 and P2 doing that. I also agree with those who have already mentioned the scene of him briefly mourning the fallen pred on the ship, it's interesting but subtle and just right. The whole part with him on the ship I liked, at least the extended version. 

Huggs

The shots of the predator blood running down the mask like tears hit me right in the feels. You could sense the anger and sorrow Wolf was feeling.

Vermillion

I have not seen this unrated Blu-ray version. I shall tonight!

DerelictShip

Please let us know how it is!

426Buddy

I have it... Its still absurdly dark and it remains a terrible film.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: 426Buddy on Dec 12, 2018, 04:20:41 AM
I have it... Its still absurdly dark and it remains a terrible film.

The movie still sucks in many ways, but it's definitely not "absurdly dark" on the bluray I own. My tv is even on energy saver and I already had the brightness down as well.

Nukiemorph

With this movie, it can be frustratingly difficult to separate people who saw problematic screenings or own problematic DVD's/blu-rays from people who are just being dramatic about a movie that takes place mostly at night and used a lot of shadows...

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: David's Creation on Dec 12, 2018, 06:37:07 AM
With this movie, it can be frustratingly difficult to separate people who saw problematic screenings or own problematic DVD's/blu-rays from people who are just being dramatic about a movie that takes place mostly at night and used a lot of shadows...

I own AVPR Unrated digitally, and when I watch it on my phone, with the brightness all the way up, I still struggle to see anything. Sometimes my screen is completely black, as in the phone appears off, and the sound of the movie is my only indicator that the movie is still playing, and that is extremely frustrating.

But the frustration is not soley with the brightness, but the fact how it effects people's enjoyment of the movie. When your viewing is "absurdly dark", how can it not be "terrible film" and a horrible viewing experience? It wasn't until I purchased a 4K television, put the blu-ray in, and turned off most of the lights was when I stopped squinting trying to figure out what I was looking at and could actually just sit back and get immersed in the film.

My only hope is one day, maybe with a new AVP film, they remaster this film for a 4k release, but release the remaster on all formats, and the darkness problem will be resolved once and for all.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Being dramatic about the darkness? Lol thats funny.

Ive seen it in theater, on dvd, and on bluray, uncut and original, Hd tv and 4K tv. None of these versions or variations looked any better than the other in terms of being able to see whats going on.

Now it may not be too dark for a few (huggs) but dont tell me this film isnt absurdly dark compared to any other hollywood film ever.

The Kurgan

It dreads me to say anything positive about the aliens, but I kinda liked the ridged top of their heads. Makes them look aggressive somehow.

Nukiemorph

I thought it looked completely fine in the theater, but the whole internet complained that it was too dark.  Supposedly good prints were sent to the west half of America and erroneously darkened prints were sent to the east.  This makes sense to me, because I saw it in Montana.  But then I saw the DVD and couldn't see a damn thing, so I finally understood what people were talking about.

But I still wonder why nobody from the west side of America seems to share my experience.  This makes me think some people were just being dramatic.  I feel like a lot of people who saw the correct version jumped on the bandwagon and agreed that the movie was too dark just based on shots that were supposed to be dark.  There are lots of shadows and moments where subjects are filmed in silhouette.  A lot of people will see shots like that and complain that they can't see every detail.

D88M

The only time the movie "looked" good was on the trailers, for the theater it was very dark.

I liked the music. It was not very good and a lot of it was recycled, but when i first listened to it without having seen the movie first i imagined a better movie in my mind, that was cool.

PsyKore

I do remember hearing something at the time about how some DVD versions were darker than others. I always thought it was dark but I never thought it was unwatchable from a visual perspective.

As far as something I like: I like the Aliens battle with the Marine Guard scene.

SM

It was a missed opportunity.

One positive thing is that it had opportunities.

It just failed to capitalise on any of them.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed