Total Members Voted: 46

Author
Best on-screen Alien (Read 9,569 times)

SiL

SiL

They kind of had to.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Not saying it's ADI's fault but, I can certainly blame Paul W.S Anderson and the studio for making it that way. Tom Rothman in particular.

SiL

SiL

Paul WS Anderson didn't control the  budget either. He wanted to tell a big story and the studio wanted him to do it cheaply. He delivered.

For all its failings every cent of that movie's budget is on screen. Cost cutting measures like filming in Prague and reusing Alien suits gave us great sets and a beautiful animatronic Queen.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

He could have chosen to go even more insular and gone Mano a Mano, I have always felt the runtime and pacing betrayed the budget myself, and that Paul W.S Anderson does not know the meaning of subtlety. Although the film tries to fool you for the first half hour into thinking he does, it has the exact same issues as Event Horizon in inconsistent tone, and then going overboard at the first opportunity. He tried to go big with little and did not succeed.

SiL

SiL

Or he could tell the story he wanted to tell reusing a creature design he clearly didn't seem to mind.

The pacing had nothing to do with the budget and everything to do with Anderson's writing. Even the earlier drafts with 5 Predators were 75% build to 25% payoff.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: Kradan on Aug 14, 2022, 08:43:29 PMThat reminds me, I really liked how AvP Aliens preferered walls and ceilings for movement
You get plenty of that in ALIENS.

(Bad Blood)

(Bad Blood)

Maybe he had no choice but I feel as though he could have done the Predators and aliens differently by sacrificing some of the set budget, if they had just made one new creature suit for the Xenomorph body and just a few additional armor parts for the press and some unique skin patterns then the movie would have looked and been so much more. Again, only if it was an option to begin with.

SiL

SiL

They already shot inside a warehouse and pretended it was a ship, there wasn't  a whole lot of room to keep saving other than to reuse assets.

The Predators were made brand new, that's how Anderson wanted them to look.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

For the love of God, why?

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

My votes went to Alien 1979 Adult Alien, Aliens Queen and Covenant Adult Neomorph.

Sabres21768

Sabres21768

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Aug 14, 2022, 06:57:18 PMI just noticed that big chap has 6 fingers. I learn something new about this movie almost every day.

Actually, it's 4 fingers and 2 thumbs.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Elmazalman on Aug 14, 2022, 11:27:17 PM
Quote from: Kradan on Aug 14, 2022, 08:43:29 PMThat reminds me, I really liked how AvP Aliens preferered walls and ceilings for movement
You get plenty of that in ALIENS.

Yes, and I loved it in Aliens too

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I love all of them, clearly a difficult choice

if someone were to point a gun at me, I'd say Big Chap or Stompy. Stompy may be my all-time favourite since it combines the Resurrection-style legs with Big Chap and SOMEHOW manages to nail the feel of the original Big Chap skin when every sequel outright didn't

SiL

SiL

Except that dumb blocky jaw.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: SiL on Aug 15, 2022, 07:32:48 AMExcept that dumb blocky jaw.

And that dumb permagrin.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed