Why is it so seemingly difficult for producers to drop Ripley’s character?

Started by nanison, Aug 02, 2021, 10:40:51 PM

Author
Why is it so seemingly difficult for producers to drop Ripley’s character? (Read 10,520 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

The franchise killed after Alien 3? That would elevate Ripley's sacrifice to a whole metafiction level.  :laugh:
But you know what they say, "good things last a little", "less is more" and "quality instead of jada jada".🤑

Quote from: Rankles75 on Aug 21, 2021, 01:08:50 PM
In saying that, after initially being a big fan of Neill Blomkamp's proposed film, I would in hindsight only want to see an alternative Alien 3 in either animated or graphic novel form. Too much time has passed for Sigourney Weaver and Michael Biehn to be dragged out to fight more xenos, and I don't think there's a satisfactory way to explain the age difference.

I'd love to see the wooden planet. People say it doesn't make sense, but then I say "it's an alternate take, so who cares?"  8)

BlueMarsalis79

Prometheus didn't make sense, didn't stop them from making it.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

A3 was mostly well-received outside out of the U.S., mostly... especially in Europe. There was only a 5-year gap between A3 and A:R and in the meantime we had plenty of Alien(s) comics, novels and video games coming out.

What handicapped and nearly "killed" the franchise was the decision to place A:R about 150 years later in the future, making it clear and unlikely that humans ran into any Xenomorphs during that long period of time as the scientists' only hope to get their hands on a specimen was to clone Ripley. Then add Jeunet's oddball characters and unique cinematography and the world presented yet not elaborated on, and you have a very limited appeal to continue from. People want Colonial Marines, W&Y; "realistic" down-to-Earth almost outdated tech; biomechanic xenos, realistic civilian characters, outer space; not too far into the future etc. ...A:R skipped all of that. The only three instances of anyone trying to continue from where A:R ended is Alien: Destroying Angels, that godawful Aliens arcade gun game with flying facehuggers and chest Bursters, and Alien vs. Predator vs. Terminator. I'm sure I'm missing some, but the point I'm making is that there's is no real interest in the era presented in A:R.

Blaming A3 for the franchise going downhill is just pure A3 resentment syndrome. A3 still left the possibility to go back to the site of the Derelict to try to find eggs, W&Y is still around and the Colonial Marines are still a thing. The only thing A3 did was ending Ripley's story. If you argue that Ripley IS the Alien movies franchise, then yeah - A3 ruined it. But if you think that Alien is more than Ripley, then no - A3 did not end it or ruin it - it opened up for new movies with new characters. 

[cancerblack]

QuoteThe only (...) instances of anyone trying to continue from where A:R ended is Alien: Destroying Angels

I am 99.9% sure that one is contemporary with most of the franchise.

Nightmare Asylum

There are at least three post-Resurrection novels I can think of off the top of my head. Original Sin, from the Dark Horse Press era, and Titan's Sea of Sorrows and Phalanx. I haven't read Original Sin or Sea of Sorrows, though I'm pretty sure that Original Sin uses Resurrection's surviving cast and serves as something of a direct sequel to the film (and returns to the Derelict, if I'm not mistaken).

As far as crossover stuff goes, I don't really follow AVP material but isn't the "Rage War" book trilogy also set post-Resurrection?

SiL

AvPvT has Ripley 8 in it.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 22, 2021, 10:15:48 PM
There are at least three post-Resurrection novels I can think of off the top of my head. Original Sin, from the Dark Horse Press era, and Titan's Sea of Sorrows and Phalanx. I haven't read Original Sin or Sea of Sorrows, though I'm pretty sure that Original Sin uses Resurrection's surviving cast and serves as something of a direct sequel to the film (and returns to the Derelict, if I'm not mistaken).

As far as crossover stuff goes, I don't really follow AVP material but isn't the "Rage War" book trilogy also set post-Resurrection?

Thank you. I totally forgot about those, although I don't know if I would count Phalanx as an A:R era story per se as the story takes place in a very medievalish setting with no real contact with the outside world - it could've been set during any era really. I have to admit that I haven't read Sea of Sorrows and Original Sin, even so, you can kind of count on a hand and a half when it comes to Alien story lines that utilize concepts (or/and characters) that take place in the era of A:R.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Trash Queen on Aug 22, 2021, 11:18:29 AM
Prometheus didn't make sense, didn't stop them from making it.

Yeah I mean, if handsome SquidWard can have his own live action, why on Earth my wooden planet remains as an unproduced screenplay?!  ::)

Quote from: SiL on Aug 22, 2021, 11:30:33 PM
AvPvT has Ripley 8 in it.

You are absolutely right!  :o

BlueMarsalis79

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Aug 23, 2021, 05:23:08 AM
Yeah I mean, if handsome SquidWard can have his own live action, why on Earth my wooden planet remains as an unproduced screenplay?!

Because one is golden age sci fi updated visually but not narratively for a huge budget and modern tech, and the other is an incredibly weird high concept niche product.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Aug 23, 2021, 06:51:16 PM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Aug 23, 2021, 05:23:08 AM
Yeah I mean, if handsome SquidWard can have his own live action, why on Earth my wooden planet remains as an unproduced screenplay?!

Because one is golden age sci fi updated visually but not narratively for a huge budget and modern tech, and the other is an incredibly weird high concept niche product.

A shame cos it sound like the kind of quality nonsense I usually enjoy.  :'(

Highland

I personally don't think A3 ruined anything. I just don't think it's a good finisher.

Clone Ripley and clone Aliens pretty much sums that up.

BigDaddyJohn

I am all for Vincent Ward's script honestly.

Kimarhi

Never had the beef with Alien 3.

It has always been Resurrection and Prometheus that have been the low point of the series. 

Lost_Hunter

Some good points going around. Alien 3 is okay, it was my introduction into the universe and has a hold on me for that reason. The film has  some good elements but it's a mess. We're lucky someone as competent as Fincher was involved and able to slightly lift it out of the Giler fire. But a satisfying conclusion to Ripley or a sequel to Aliens? No, far from it. Alien 3 did have ADI's only good suit tho, so there's that.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed