Best pic of an Alien

Started by War Wager, Sep 19, 2007, 05:58:14 PM

Author
Best pic of an Alien (Read 1,610,444 times)

SM

SM

But did Giger design them as ridges on the head?  I don't think I've ever seen a picture of the original with raised ridges.  They all appear to be painted on.

Once again this is simply a definitions thing.  Does it really matter?

QuoteI've never seen that pic of Hurd shooting the alien although I knew it was her hand and foot from the dvd commentary.

There's a picture or two on the second Aliens disk from memory.  And one in the Aliens Movie Magazine.

Sabres21768

Sabres21768

Quote from: JamesCameronOnline on Apr 15, 2010, 04:06:40 AM
Quote from: Sabres21768 on Apr 15, 2010, 04:02:27 AM
Quote from: SM on Apr 15, 2010, 04:00:59 AM
QuoteSo whats on warriors head wasnt designed by Giger?

Bony protusions instead of painted on lines?

Plus dips and ridges that AREN'T on Giger's version.

Wrong. Ridges were there, only airbrushed. But there are about 10 pictures showing 79 alien with the same shaped ridges on Giger's alien head. Not only Winston didnt come up with them, the angles and lines of those ridges are identical

Look, I understand what you're trying to say.

But, Giger didn't paint them as bony ridges going down the side of the head.
They're more oval shaped.

Winston added those boney bits to give the head some cool definition since the dome was coming off.

JamesCameronOnline

JamesCameronOnline

Quote from: SM on Apr 15, 2010, 04:09:28 AM
But did Giger design them as ridges on the head?  I don't think I've ever seen a picture of the original with raised ridges.  They all appear to be painted on.

They look sculpted here

XenoVC

XenoVC

They look,the paint being the trick here.

JamesCameronOnline

JamesCameronOnline

Quote from: Sabres21768 on Apr 15, 2010, 04:18:43 AM
Quote from: JamesCameronOnline on Apr 15, 2010, 04:06:40 AM
Quote from: Sabres21768 on Apr 15, 2010, 04:02:27 AM
Quote from: SM on Apr 15, 2010, 04:00:59 AM
QuoteSo whats on warriors head wasnt designed by Giger?

Bony protusions instead of painted on lines?

Plus dips and ridges that AREN'T on Giger's version.

Wrong. Ridges were there, only airbrushed. But there are about 10 pictures showing 79 alien with the same shaped ridges on Giger's alien head. Not only Winston didnt come up with them, the angles and lines of those ridges are identical

Look, I understand what you're trying to say.

But, Giger didn't paint them as bony ridges going down the side of the head.
They're more oval shaped.

Winston added those boney bits to give the head some cool definition since the dome was coming off.

I really believe we're on different pages because I dont think you are saying that Winston was in Giger's studio in 79 and told him what to paint on the head. Ill try to be as blunt as possible - the designs, meaning the ridges, lines and the trail of the spikes on top and the penis head finish and the parts were designed by Giger. They are all there in warrior and there isnt a NEW part that wasnt there before  and all those things werent replaced by something else. Therefore its still Giger's design. That is why he was pissed off in 88 that he didnt get paid for designs in Aliens because theyre his. I dont know how else can I explain. Ill try this

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a277/lovegunner/AVP/obvious.jpg

SM

SM

QuoteThey look sculpted here

I'm pretty sure they're airburshed.  For a long time I thought at least one or more of the Alien hero heads had sculpted ridges, but I now don't believe this to be the case.

JamesCameronOnline

JamesCameronOnline

Quote from: SM on Apr 15, 2010, 05:00:02 AM
QuoteThey look sculpted here

I'm pretty sure they're airburshed.  For a long time I thought at least one or more of the Alien hero heads had sculpted ridges, but I now don't believe this to be the case.

This guy;s a genius. Its all in his airbrushing skills and the colors he suses helps too. For me the most amazing thing is how he can paint up such a great illusion of something organic. The original alien looks like a real breathing organic thing

Mike’s Monsters

Mike’s Monsters

I don't know if this is going to help the argument that is going nowhere.

I don't think I set it to repeat... But whatever.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Obviously Cameron isn't going to have the ridges painted on, jeez.
"He removed the dome!" Yes, fair enough, that's modification.
"It's totally different to Giger's!" It's different to what appeared in the final movie, but the design is Giger's.
"No! They sculpted instead of painted!"  ::)

Some people here like to adhere to scripts and cut scenes and cut designs to explain the movie [Alien], but not in Cameron's case. Re-using Giger's design but streamlining it (around the mouth, sculpting instead of painting) equates to UTTER REDESIGN AND MAKEOVER. Some people are getting offensive too, there's no need guys, it's a forum, chill, a lot of people come here to talk Alien because frankly a lot of people we know in day-to-day life don't want to talk about the movies, the cut scenes, character motivations, potential sequels etc.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Valaquen on Apr 15, 2010, 09:10:54 AM
Re-using Giger's design but streamlining it (around the mouth, sculpting instead of painting) equates to UTTER REDESIGN AND MAKEOVER.
No-one's saying that ('cept maybe Sabres).

Just that it's silly to say that one is identical to another when it so very clearly isn't, and then getting stroppy when people point out differences and say 'See? It's not the same'.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: SiL on Apr 15, 2010, 09:59:48 AM
Quote from: Valaquen on Apr 15, 2010, 09:10:54 AM
Re-using Giger's design but streamlining it (around the mouth, sculpting instead of painting) equates to UTTER REDESIGN AND MAKEOVER.
No-one's saying that ('cept maybe Sabres).

Just that it's silly to say that one is identical to another when it so very clearly isn't, and then getting stroppy when people point out differences and say 'See? It's not the same'.
Well, it's not gonna be exactly the same, since they re-crafted the suit and made it out of different materials, some of which Giger did not have available, but it was Cameron's intention to stick as close to Giger's design as possible, to honour to design, hence even Giger despite his malign at not being hired had to admit that he liked the designs. Looking at the pictures, it's easy to see that the ridged head comes from Giger's design, sure, the mouthpiece isn't as large, and the eyes are gone, but the rest is as faithful as you get. Despite not liking the design you have to admit the very close similarity.

SiL

SiL

QuoteDespite not liking the design you have to admit the very close similarity.
Insert facepalm meme here.

I don't dislike the design. I like the design. I really do.

And yes it's close.

But it's far away from line for line. The whole neck is different. The arms are different. The hands and legs are different. The fifth dorsal spike disappears every now and then. The mouth is different. The skull is gone. It has extra ribs.

Close, yes. Very very very close.

Identical, no. By a long shot, no.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: SiL on Apr 15, 2010, 10:28:49 AM
Insert facepalm meme here.
Don't be like that. You're a very succinct and thoughtful poster, and above snide remarks I think. Which is why I like discussing/debating with you.

QuoteI don't dislike the design. I like the design. I really do.
I should have been clearer. Cameron's reworking.

QuoteAnd yes it's close.

But it's far away from line for line. The whole neck is different. The arms are different. The hands and legs are different. The fifth dorsal spike disappears every now and then. The mouth is different. The skull is gone. It has extra ribs.

Close, yes. Very very very close.

Identical, no. By a long shot, no.

That was my point. (And the arms is an acknowledged change, as is the mouth).

SiL

SiL

QuoteI should have been clearer. Cameron's reworking.
QuoteI don't dislike the redesign. I like the redesign. I really do.
:P

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: SiL on Apr 15, 2010, 10:42:47 AM
QuoteI should have been clearer. Cameron's reworking.
QuoteI don't dislike the redesign. I like the redesign. I really do.
:P

:P Shaddap!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed