The "Wooden Planet" from Alien The RPG Corebook

Started by BlueMarsalis79, Feb 22, 2021, 12:36:02 AM

Author
The "Wooden Planet" from Alien The RPG Corebook (Read 3,394 times)

BlueMarsalis79

Dubbed "the wooden planet" by space truckers, Arceon is a strange station. Originally an old Class V habitation sphere, the mile-wide Arceon was repurposed as a monastery for a reclusive technophobic monastic order. A metallic areas within and without covered with wood, and all structures within the sphere- an abbey, libraries, communal baths, reservoirs, and even a massive glassworks. Inside, exist open spaces with ceilings as high as 100 meters tall, and the structure itself is layered like an ant's nest. Arceon sports grass fields with crops and livestock being maintained. It is large enough and rotates fast enough to maintain it's own thin atmosphere which is continually replenished by technology located at the core of the world. The upper hemisphere is dominated by a massive lake, full of marine life.

Arceon was founded by a monastic "back to nature" movement in the early 2100s. While initially dismissed as nothing more than a hypocritical cult, the order proved dangerous when it used the enhanced computer virus called New Plague to wipe out an inordinate amount of data on Earth, crippling credit unions and trans-stellar corporations alike. The group even detonated bombs in key metropolitan sectors, utilizing the electromagnetic pulse people to get by without technology. As more and more followers flocked to the order, action was taken. Rounded up and arrested by a joint 3WE and UA task force, the order's final sentencing was suspended when Weyland Corporation bought off the judges.

The monks ultimately got released into the conscripted custody of Weyland-Yutani, who relocated them to Arceon in exchange for the employment of their leader, Saint Tomas- the computer genius behind the New Plague. On Arceon the group is led by an Abbot. Also, an older model android called Brother Anthony resides with them to keep them from rising again. Weyland-Yutani ships stopped running supplies to Arceon after Tomas died decades ago, and the monks have very few actual visitors. Their crops and livestock sustain them as they live the simple life.

Kradan

And that's how you make Ward's script work  8)

BlueMarsalis79

Yes the "Wooden Planet" concept anyway.

Kradan

Yeah, and as I understand it's the concept people have the most problems with

Naginata

Naginata

I've always been curious to see how they would have pulled this off in the movie. I still don't think it was right for Alien 3 story-wise, but purely as a concept? The wooden planet is cool. The concept art alone is just magnificent, and I've always been curious just how plausible it could be.

Actually, would anyone with some scientific background be willing to chime in here? How far could you go with this before you had to handwave it? I mean, yeah, you'd have to BS things as far as gravity and such, but everything else?

If the water's getting recycled, if the plants are producing oxygen, if the orbit's somewhat stable? I dunno why, but I find it really interesting.

Xenomrph

I always thought a movie about monks living on a wooden planet would be square in the middle of Terry Gilliam's wheelhouse.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Yeah, it's batshit.  If anyone thought AR was tonally incongruous with what came before, imagine how a wooden planet more at home in a fantasy setting would have been received.

SM

Giler and Hill knew how it would be received.

Local Trouble

You admire them.

SiL

Of course. They're film producers, unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.

Local Trouble

I wonder why Walter Hill never opted to direct.

SiL

He wasn't comfortable with the special effects.

BlueMarsalis79

SiL

...why? We'd either not have got Alien if he'd ended up doing it, and Alien3 wouldn't have turned out any better.

And if his Supernova is anything to go by, him leaving the SFX films to others was probably a smart move.

BlueMarsalis79

You're correct but I more mean opted to in general.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed