In your opinion do you think Alien 3 killed the franchise?

Started by Aliens1986fanboy, Aug 29, 2019, 09:56:05 AM

Author
In your opinion do you think Alien 3 killed the franchise? (Read 33,841 times)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Nov 05, 2019, 06:41:48 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 05, 2019, 03:52:10 PM

How does this ham differ from the ham in say, Predator 2?

To me the question shouldn't be how does the ham differ. The question should be which recipe calls for ham.

Or which franchise should have quotes like "stick around", "I don't have time to bleed" or "You're one ugly mother f*cker" and which should have lines like "You also forgot the Science Division's basic quarantine law" or "I admire its purity".

To me, where Alien works best is when the human characters are normal, grounded regular men and women.  But Predator works best when the humans are opposite of that, i.e. more exaggerated, larger than life, comic book like characters.

And I've always said that most of the Alien Resurrection cast belonged in a Predator film, not in Alien in my eyes.

Quote from: Huggs on Nov 05, 2019, 06:59:20 PM

The ham in P2 is rolled in cocaine, sprinkled with generous amount of OWLF spice and glazed in a thick Cajun magic sauce. Each ham is blessed by a former Voodoo priest of the LA posses, and baked to a luscious golden brown on enchanted stone, emitting a pleasant aroma of sweet @$$.

He gets it!  ;D

TheSailingRabbit

The ham in P2 is rolled in cocaine, sprinkled with generous amount of OWLF spice and glazed in a thick Cajun magic sauce. Each ham is blessed by a former Voodoo priest of the LA posses, and baked to a luscious golden brown on enchanted stone, emitting a pleasant aroma of sweet @$$.

Don't forget the Paxton spice.

Kradan

Huggs

...And garnished with freshly ground Jerry.

Kimarhi

Ham also fits the super macho predator series more so than Alien series.

Voodoo Magic

Clearly these guys eat green berets and ham for breakfast.

The Old One

The Old One

Haha, no joking. But yeah I agree with the sentiment.

Kimarhi

However, the Preds COULD BE more easily added into the Alien horror verse over the Aliens being added to the Predator macho verse.

I think this is where the issue so far has lied in most of the AvPs.  You take the frightening out of the Alien and you lose, but if you ADD the horror into the Pred, you don't lose.

Best example I've seen so far is Psykore's FEAR 3.  Where the main horror boss of the game was surprisingly a Pred where there was no super macho guy around to kill it.  Just victims trying to survive it. 

SM

Good point.  Predators are hunters who hide from their prey until they're ready to strike (and often not even then).  Not unlike Aliens.  You could employ similar tactics. 

The Old One

The Old One

So for AVP to work everything has to be brought to the tonal place that Alien resides in.

Highland

Predator is only considered more hammy because of the human characters. Both creatures benefit from a more horror based theme regardless of the movie they are in. The only reason you wouldn't put Aliens in Predator is the Earth setting.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Kimarhi on Nov 27, 2019, 03:21:07 AM
However, the Preds COULD BE more easily added into the Alien horror verse over the Aliens being added to the Predator macho verse.

I think this is where the issue so far has lied in most of the AvPs.  You take the frightening out of the Alien and you lose, but if you ADD the horror into the Pred, you don't lose.

Best example I've seen so far is Psykore's FEAR 3.  Where the main horror boss of the game was surprisingly a Pred where there was no super macho guy around to kill it.  Just victims trying to survive it.

This makes sense to me. And it is why, I think, AVP worked better than AVPR. AVP attempted to play up the Alien world/lore/atmosphere (though it was very, very constricted by its Earth setting, among a myriad of other issues) whereas AVPR tried much harder to be an edgy Predator movie.

Now, granted, AVP is very bad (despite being the "better" of the two) and I don't see myself ever watching it again. Nor do I ever want to see Alien and Predator cross over again, to be completely honest.

The Old One

The Old One

That makes a lot of sense, throw the other guy into your universe. Instead of having no tone, or what I call "real life tone" that most of the MCU goes for, without an overarching style

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Highland on Nov 30, 2019, 01:26:18 AM
Predator is only considered more hammy because of the human characters. Both creatures benefit from a more horror based theme regardless of the movie they are in. The only reason you wouldn't put Aliens in Predator is the Earth setting.

Indeed horror benefits both, but hammy characters only benefit Predator. To Alien it does all kinds of damage. imo

The Old One

The Old One

Yes certainly, that's probably why I can only tolerate Resurrection, if I see it as an illegitimate offshoot.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed