Aliens V. Predator Ultimate Prey - AvP Anthology

Started by BryanThomasS, Jan 07, 2021, 08:18:28 PM

Author
Aliens V. Predator Ultimate Prey - AvP Anthology (Read 62,922 times)

scottsigler

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 01, 2021, 04:21:59 PM
Quote from: Miguel on May 31, 2021, 01:27:01 PM
Seems Scott Sigler's story title is "Another Mother". I can't wait to read it!

https://twitter.com/scottsigler/status/1399044283676647424

This is still the weirdest thing to me; I'm not sure how I feel about an AVP story serving as a direct followup to what was a standalone Alien story.

I am curious, though. I really liked Sigler's writing and the world of Ataegina, so I'll probably have to give this entry a read.

I feel the same way you do. However, it was a chance to revisit Ataegina, a chance I couldn't pass up. My solution to your concern is to have what I call a "light footprint" that doesn't shatter the culture and timeline established in ALIENS: PHALANX. I hope you dig the story.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: scottsigler on Jun 03, 2021, 04:40:21 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 01, 2021, 04:21:59 PM
Quote from: Miguel on May 31, 2021, 01:27:01 PM
Seems Scott Sigler's story title is "Another Mother". I can't wait to read it!

https://twitter.com/scottsigler/status/1399044283676647424

This is still the weirdest thing to me; I'm not sure how I feel about an AVP story serving as a direct followup to what was a standalone Alien story.

I am curious, though. I really liked Sigler's writing and the world of Ataegina, so I'll probably have to give this entry a read.

I feel the same way you do. However, it was a chance to revisit Ataegina, a chance I couldn't pass up. My solution to your concern is to have what I call a "light footprint" that doesn't shatter the culture and timeline established in ALIENS: PHALANX. I hope you dig the story.

Very cool to hear, that definitely sounds like a solid was to tackle the crossover in this instance. Like I said above,, I loved your writing and the world the first time around in Phalanx, so I'll definitely be giving it a go here despite my crossover reservations.

Voodoo Magic

Perhaps you'll have your first AvP story you truly love!

barrydalgarno

So, I'm curious as to the legality of this anthology. Doesn't this count as new Predator content and go against the Thomas Brothers lawsuit? I'm just wondering how this is able to go ahead but everything else involving the Predator is potentially grinding to a halt.

426Buddy

Nothing has stopped yet as far as I know. If they issue an injunction then things will be halted.

SM

It counts as new AvP content rather than Predator content - but how that whole AvP trademark and license works may get tied with the Thomas' since half of it is their character.

As 426Buddy indicates this project seems to moving ahead without any problems at this point.

Nightmare Asylum

Guess that means it is time for Marvel to fast track an AVP comic while their standalone Predator title is currently shelved. Get that brightened version of AVPR from Disney+ Star out there and accessible and they'll even have some material to trace to expedite the process!

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: barrydalgarno on Jun 04, 2021, 01:40:35 PM
So, I'm curious as to the legality of this anthology. Doesn't this count as new Predator content and go against the Thomas Brothers lawsuit? I'm just wondering how this is able to go ahead but everything else involving the Predator is potentially grinding to a halt.

As most would rationalize, the copyright reclaiming includes Predators in AvP. The Thomas Brothers legal claim actually counts both AvP and AVPR as Predator films.

I would assume why this book is proceeding is why anything licensed is proceeding. Titan has the Predator or AvP license already for a specific duration. If their work is interrupted by a preliminary injunction and licenses were frozen, I would suspect the companies that acquired them would seek restitution for damages, perhaps legally if necessary. But until then, it's on them to take advantage of the license they acquired.

What I do believe this lawsuit will do is cause new companies who might be interested in paying for licensing Predator or AvP to take pause, with such a current cloud of uncertainty.

RidgeTop

Quote from: Trash Queen on Jun 01, 2021, 08:15:06 PM

Did this for fun, might properly finish it, might not.

You should. This is fantastic.

RidgeTop

Voodoo Magic

Bummer indeed, but I believe next Spring is shaping up to be quite spectacular. :)

SiL

RidgeTop

Hey for a Titan cover, it's not too bad. But yeah they should just pay Trash Queen to finish that piece for it.

SiL

It's an Alien tying a Predator's shoe laces :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed