The Reviews/Interviews Thread

Started by ikarop, Feb 11, 2013, 02:17:39 PM

Author
The Reviews/Interviews Thread (Read 141,540 times)

Jonesy23

Jonesy23

Enemy AI really is important. It's the reason I had such an issue with games like Crysis 2 and Black Ops 2 mostly because the AI in those games were random. One moment the enemies will let you walk right up to them and put a bullet in their head, but then you get enemies that not only do what they're supposed to, but they do it too well and become annoying. It seems like A:CM is heading in this direction, but I can't be sure.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: Elicas on Feb 11, 2013, 10:15:51 PM
It's like playing an RTS that only understands tank rushes, or playing a 4x game where the AI doesn't research or explore but only builds fleets, or playing the latest Madden where your opposition only knows one play, or playing Mortal Kombat and the AI only knows three move combos. Games flop without a good AI to run up against (unless of course they are dedicated MP only games), this game could have so many of it's bad points forgiven if it had given you authentic Aliens, moving in sneaky, smart and unbuggy ways.

I could even forgive the cannon fodder nature of the aliens. If their AI didn't VISIBLY bug out constantly.

PRI. HUDSON

PRI. HUDSON

Quote from: Elicas on Feb 11, 2013, 10:15:51 PM
Quote from: PRI. HUDSON on Feb 11, 2013, 09:41:08 PM
Quote from: Bjørn Half-hand on Feb 11, 2013, 07:40:36 PM
No doubt a whole bunch of people are going to totally ignore negative reviews, only take the positive from mixed reviews and praise the positive reviews, completely ignoring the games faults or making excuses for them, or simply saying ''never cared about graphics, story, AI, never thought it'd be best game ever, a 6 out of 10 game sounds good to me''. Oh the denial.
The averge review score so far is 5.7 out of 10

It's not denial. I never base AI in my score tally. I don't think the AI in Halo 4 is overly great at time. It's not stellar in ACIII either. Same with graphics. I am more about story, gameplay (SP and MP), replay value, sound, etc.

You should always base AI in your score, it's the thing that makes the game re-playable. It doesn't matter how many shinies they put in a game, how good the gameplay is or whether the story could have been a novel best seller, if the AI you're up against is shit the whole thing falls down.

It's like playing an RTS that only understands tank rushes, or playing a 4x game where the AI doesn't research or explore but only builds fleets, or playing the latest Madden where your opposition only knows one play, or playing Mortal Kombat and the AI only knows three move combos. Games flop without a good AI to run up against (unless of course they are dedicated MP only games), this game could have so many of it's bad points forgiven if it had given you authentic Aliens, moving in sneaky, smart and unbuggy ways.

In a game like Madden I agree. But in Halo 4 I play more MP than anything else. AI is irrelevant at that point. Yes, in some games AI is crucial but in the games I own I don't find the AI to be exceptional in any of them.

Njm1983

Njm1983

The reviews are already decidedly not on the good side, fanboys should just learn from their mistakes and take the rose tinted glasses off. Sorry its too hard for some of you, I paid $60 for AVP 2010, I chose not to go down that road with A:CM. Whats done is done, but I feel justified just seeing these super low reviews, and the general reactions from those who had the game early.

Jonesy23

Jonesy23

I've come to realize that the game has many flaws, but there are still fun things in it. The story may be crap and the AI is random but the MP is fun as long as it's played right and the controls feel really nice.

Elicas

Elicas

Quote from: Jonesy23 on Feb 11, 2013, 11:09:27 PM
I've come to realize that the game has many flaws, but there are still fun things in it. The story may be crap and the AI is random but the MP is fun as long as it's played right and the controls feel really nice.

Honestly. 100% honestly. How many matches do you think you'll get where the Aliens are played right? Maybe 50% while the population is at it's highest? Once the pop % tails off and you're struggling to find games (if this goes the way of AVP10) maybe 1 in 10 games?

pixelbaron

pixelbaron

Giant Bomb is going to do a quick look of Aliens: Colonial Marines tomorrow live in 20 hours.

Jonesy23

Jonesy23

I don't know, It's not as big of an issue with me as it may look in text, but I'm actually feeling for the xeno players on this one. If they don't do coordinated and sneak attacks, they go down pretty easily. It would just make the MP more fun overall. I really do hope the servers don't drop like AVP although I'm sure people will drop out eventually for nitpicky reasons but I still think we'll have a little more time with this MP.

Smokeyrelic

Smokeyrelic

Opinions are like A$$ holes everyones got one.

JayHy17

JayHy17

you know somethins wrong when the big dogs have not released reviews yet... no ign, no gametrailers, no gameinformer, no gamespot...    lets hope im wrong.   god damn it im nervous.   im gettin mine at midnight. i'll let you know around 2 a.m. how it is... (Central time  usa)

pixelbaron

pixelbaron

There is a review embargo in place until release day.

That's usually not a good sign.

Roargathor

Roargathor

Yeah, looks like this one is a dud guys.  I wasn't expecting the next best FPS experience.  I was just hoping the game would capture the feel of the movie we all love so much.  From what I've seen it seems to try harder than all other games we've had so far.  I'm still hopeful, but I fully expect this one to end up in the same bin as AVP2010.  Sega screwed over rebellion, and they will screw over Gearbox too. 

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

Quote from: pixelbaron on Feb 12, 2013, 12:13:55 AM
There is a review embargo in place until release day.

That's usually not a good sign.

its not really. games like this always have embargos in order to keep story secrets under cover. acm is a high profile game aswell. seem to remember this happeing for uncharted 3 and arkham city

Jonesy23

Jonesy23

Arkham City got some early reviews out at least. I don't even care at this point whether they're bad or not, I just want to read them

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

from ign and gamespot? i remember looking for them but they werent up. i could be wrong

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed