The Emissary Predator Arrives In Predator: Hunting Grounds!

Started by SuperiorIronman, Apr 19, 2022, 06:35:10 PM

Author
The Emissary Predator Arrives In Predator: Hunting Grounds! (Read 10,249 times)

Wweyland

Would have preferred Fugitive, maybe they will add it later.
The Lore looks off though, the Emissaries joined up with the humans and were provided the human gear.

SuperiorIronman

Yeah in this case it's more of the same. Just a Predator in a themed outfit.

For me if I had to redo the backstory I would've had him be a representative of Cleopatra. Essentially that this is the Predator equivalent to what Dutch is doing. If Dutch is adopting Predator weapons and technique, then the Emissary is operating under a similar idea. The Emissary is adopting human style body armor, camouflaged gear, maybe some weapons. It's inferior to what he'd normally carry, but the technique and the ability to go under unnoticed and especially at a distance gives a surprising edge for him. He'd be here to soften Dutch up or outright kill him. Cleo didn't spare him in their first encounter, she thought she was too good for him. And now that Dutch has survived, he's become an even greater a threat than before. So Cleo assembles her own team to soften Dutch up for her, or outright kill him. And it'd be hard to convince them not to, it's Dutch, any Predator would be willing to fight him.

You could even retain the allied backstory. Maybe this guy joins the OWLF to a degree. Dutch is too much so he surrenders Cleo's location explaining how Sean got it. Or if they made a new enemy type from this guy he could be working with Stargazer to take Dutch on.

Had they planned ahead, suddenly you've got a new enemy type to get some sort of Predator A.I

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Apr 21, 2022, 05:41:48 PM
I mean I know you mentioned that comparing the years of PHG and AFTE isn't that fair, but at least they are pumping out new weapons, classes, and balance changes within each patch.

That is exactly what was Illfonic was doing their first year. And Illfonic's updates were monthly, not quarterly.

We're 9 months in on AFTE right now. Let's go back and check 9 months in on PHG:

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 08, 2020, 03:37:11 PM
QuotePaid DLC
New playable Fireteam character - Dante "Beast Mode" Jefferson
Early Access to new Fireteam weapon - B34S-T Rocket Launcher

Free Update
[FREE] Predator's Battle Axe is now available at Level 85
[FREE] OWLF Operative is a new playable Fireteam character available at Level 40
[FREE] Plasma Rifle Prototype is a new unlockable Fireteam weapon available at Level 135
[FREE] PDL (Proximity Detector Launcher) is a new unlockable Fireteam weapon available at Level 43
[FREE] EMP Mine is a new unlockable Fireteam gear item available at Level 80

General
Fixed an issue where CrossPlay Linked Accounts that were searching for coming out of a Quickplay match would sometimes become stuck in the "Connecting" state
Fixed an issue where match can become desynced when host pauses during cinematic
Fixed an issue where the AI would sometimes have their full head covering display incorrectly
Fixed a crash that would sometimes occur when using the Field Syrette and another item in a specific way
Clash
Fixed an issue where the Predator selection countdown would sometimes display an incorrect timer
Fireteam
General
Fixed an issue where the Fireteam weapons and perks may sometimes reset after round cycling
Fixed an issue where the minimap icons would sometimes appear to be inconsistent between teammates
Fixed an issue where firing an impact grenade from the Hammerhead would cause the ammo functionality to change when playing as the support class
Gear
Grenade
Fixed an issue where the grenade projectile would not deal direct damage
Fixed an issue where the animation would not play correctly when throwing a grenade while crouched
Weapons
General
Significantly increased max range of all shotguns
CS-12
Increased damage of close ranged shots
Increased ammo pickups
Significantly increased max ammo
XDB-12
Reduced damage
Hammerhead
Reduced magazine size for grenade launcher attachment
Mercenary ('87)
Reduced magazine size for grenade launcher attachment
Grimtech 19
Increased damage
Increased ammo pickups
1011-12
Increased ammo pickups
D34-D
Increased damage
Reduced splash damage range
Reduced ammo pickups
Predator
General
Increased armor of all Predators
Fixed an issue where the "Want some candy?" VO could be heard from anywhere on the map
Fixed an issue where the dead boar icons were smaller than intended on the minimap
Fixed an issue where the Predator was not holding weapons correctly in the loadout screen
Perks
[NEW] Ironside (Level 80)
Take reduced damage from behind while moving, healing, claiming, or performing a stealth kill
Dithered Lens
Increased cost from 2 to 5
Modified Reserves
Significantly increased energy regeneration gained from Modified Reserves
Impenetrable Resistance
Significantly increased the amount of damage resistance gained from Impenetrable Resistance
Increased cost from 5 to 6
Gear
Audio Decoy
Added Predator healing sounds
Added Predator eating sounds
Removed Predator pouncing sounds
Weapons
Plasma Caster
Reduced energy cost of fully charged Plasma Caster shots

The Shuriken

The Shuriken

The Emissary Predator...why? Literally why?

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 21, 2022, 01:42:31 AM
AFTE is still in its first year. PHG starts its third year in 4 days. Compare AFTE to PHG's first year.. or wait a few years and see where AFTE is 2+ years in, and then you have a fair comparison.
Let's compare!
This is what we got for the 2 games 8 months after launch!

This is also not mentioning how PHG had massive issues relating to optimization, bugs, balancing and crossplay during these 8 months, something that AFTE doesn't really suffer since they actually tackle these head on, please let's not pretend even for a second that PHG had better support than AFTE, it didn't, PHG had more classes added and that's it, and all of them just had different stats cuz Pred specs would only be added way later.
PHG's classes are the definition of quantity over quality.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Apr 23, 2022, 02:09:36 AM
AFTE is still in its first year. PHG starts its third year in 4 days. Compare AFTE to PHG's first year.. or wait a few years and see where AFTE is 2+ years in, and then you have a fair comparison.
Let's compare!

This is also not mentioning how PHG had massive issues relating to optimization, bugs, balancing and crossplay during these 8 months, something that AFTE doesn't really suffer since they actually tackle these head on, please let's not pretend even for a second that PHG had better support than AFTE, it didn't, PHG had more classes added and that's it, and all of them just had different stats cuz Pred specs would only be added way later.

Interesting slant your graphic has, the way you present things. And 19 modifier cards! Wowzers!  :D

And you can revisit threads to see AFTE had complaints of an incomplete game, massive bugs (one alone being matchmaking was broken for so many, where they couldn't play with other live players / just bots for a couple months, even after hotfixes.) And it's easy not to have many balancing issues when all your opponents are AI.

My personal point is, if someone starts comparing game updates 9 months in with 24 months in, I'm always with intellectual honesty going to say it's an unfair comparison no matter what the game. Also, if someone says "Cold Iron is showing up Illfonic on how its done" I am again, with intellectual honesty going to say "Oh lord no, Cold Iron has their own problems." And the same goes for vice-versa, because Illfonic has not won any awards here either with their product or support problems. Not at all.

Think one is doing better than the other? That's cool, but I see neither to be a bastion of good game management.

BlueMarsalis79

What's with all the modelling on Hunting Grounds recent content being horrific?

Voodoo Magic

With their main focus clearlyon Ghostbusters , Illfonic's C-team or interns seem to be doing the modeling now.  :laugh:

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 23, 2022, 06:52:25 PM
Let's compare!

Interesting slant your graphic has, the way you present things. And 19 modifier cards! Wowzers!  :D

And you can revisit threads to see AFTE had complaints of an incomplete game, massive bugs (one alone being matchmaking was broken for so many, where they couldn't play with other live players / just bots for a couple months, even after hotfixes.) And it's easy not to have many balancing issues when all your opponents are AI.

My personal point is, if someone starts comparing game updates 9 months in with 24 months in, I'm always with intellectual honesty going to say it's an unfair comparison no matter what the game. Also, if someone says "Cold Iron is showing up Illfonic on how its done" I am again, with intellectual honesty going to say "Oh lord no, Cold Iron has their own problems." And the same goes for vice-versa, because Illfonic has not won any awards here either with their product or support problems. Not at all.

Think one is doing better than the other? That's cool, but I see neither to be a bastion of good game management.
Cold Iron's own problems are not even close to being as bad as Illfonic's.

PHG's matchmaking issues are far worse than AFTE's, I played AFTE today with a friend that just got the game and found someone else instantly, PHG? Good luck finding a match in less than 5 minutes with Predator, or even finding a match at all seeing as empty lobbies were never fixed.
Also, PHG was an incomplete game at launch, it felt like an Alpha of a game and not a finished product. And the quality control just got worse after that, say what you want about AFTE, but it launched with a full campaign, full arsenal and full enemy list, with the one lacking factor being an endgame cutscene. PHG? A MP only game with ONE MODE, THREE MAPS and only 3 classes on each side! And don't try to say this was a small indie team, I've seen small indie teams do better with other asym games, Primal Carnage had 5 playable classes that are completely different from one another and 7 maps at launch! Don't even get me started on DBD.

I'm sorry, but to say those 2 are even comparable in quality in their first year is just lying to yourself, AFTE has been consistent in quality while PHG just got worse and worse, Clash feels like a mod made in the 2000's for Quake for God's sake!

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Apr 23, 2022, 07:19:36 PM
What's with all the modelling on Hunting Grounds recent content being horrific?
Everything after Dutch 87 was noticeably worse in quality, since it's when they started running out of assets they already had made before launch, you could already see signs of their poor planning with Clash

BlueMarsalis79

Can someone post photos of Emissary in this thread please?

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Apr 23, 2022, 08:42:35 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 23, 2022, 06:52:25 PM
Let's compare!

Cold Iron's own problems are not even close to being as bad as Illfonic's.

PHG's matchmaking issues are far worse than AFTE's, I played AFTE today with a friend that just got the game and found someone else instantly, PHG? Good luck finding a match in less than 5 minutes with Predator, or even finding a match at all seeing as empty lobbies were never fixed.

What you're mostly talking about is available playerbase and wait times, which is sparse on PC, but very robust still on PS for PHG.

What I'm talking about was matchmaking was completely broken for players at launch for AFTE. Completely broken. There were people including me which was forced to play only with bots.

QuoteDude

Dude? Dude!

QuoteAlso, PHG was an incomplete game at launch, it felt like an Alpha of a game and not a finished product.

Same I felt about AFTE, all which I said on the podcast while still giving it an 8/10 for fun. I said it felt like an incomplete game. Levels just stopped. Matchmaking was broken. Aliens fell through floors. AI at hub wouldn't unlock further missions correctly, nor advancement doors would open making one re-start the game. And environments would go completely black, only showing the models.

QuoteI'm sorry, but to say those 2 are even comparable in quality in their first year is just lying to yourself

You can knock it off with the 'lying to yourself' comments. We can agree to disagree, but no need for all that. Cheers.

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Apr 23, 2022, 08:55:28 PM
Can someone post photos of Emissary in this thread please?

All from the discord

Voodoo, there is a huge difference between a game having bugs at launch and a game lacking massive loads of content at launch and having bugs

PHG was a PVP only asym game at launch, with barely any class variety aside from looks and stats that didn't offer much play style variety, few weapons and equipment, only three maps and missions that don't give any of those maps any sort of variety. It lacked in many regions that many other Asym games didn't at launch. Let's compare that to the game that essentially birthed this genre, Evolve. Evolve had 4 character types at launch, each type had 3 different characters, all significantly different from one another, and had 3 extremely different Monster classes, Evolve had 12 different maps and 4 different modes at launch, now, Evolve had a big budget, so if we compare this to other asym games like DBD or even Primal Carnage, both of which had 5 or more maps at launch and had all their monster roles be significantly varied, well, it also doesn't look too good on PHG.

AFTE is a PVE only horde shooter, it had 5 classes at launch but all offered something different with how they functioned, it had lots of content, 13 playable levels but a very noticeable lack of story telling connecting them aside from easy to miss cringy dialogue. When compared to old PVE horde shooters, AFTE has a passable amounts of content, with it's 13 maps, 32 weapons and 5 unique classes, comparing it to a notable example in the PVE horde shooter scene, L4D had 20 maps, 10 weapons and no unique classes, so I'd say it holds up pretty okay to that, trading off more maps for more unique character gameplay.

Content wise, I showed the progress both games made within 8 months after launch, which I'll reiterate in here
AFTE released 2 completely unique classes, one new mode/map that feels in line with what we already had ingame, 12 weapons, various weapon mods and mission modifiers, as well as many QoL minor features. All of this for free

PHG released a total of 9 classes, 4 for Fireteam, 5 for Predator. Three of the Fireteam ones are paid, and 2 of the paid ones are the same character, both feature the same weapon but with different mods. The one free class was a movie character, which was pretty cool, but aside from the thermal vision passive, it was another reskin of the base classes. 3 of the Predator ones were paid, one is a movie character that had an ugly mask but aside from that was a very welcome additon, the other two are original creations made to coincide with the release of popular games at the time. The other 2 free classes were the Elder, a movie character, and the Alpha, a Neca character, the Alpha was which at the time, was a simple Hunter reskin, which could also be said for the City Hunter, which didn't have many different stats and instead had a permanent gear spot taken by his wrist launcher.

Weapons wise, AFTE released a weapon for each of it's 4 types in all of it's updates, making sure everyone got something.

PHG, released 6 weapons for the Fireteam and 3 for the Predator, I'll ignore gear items
Out of the 6 weapons for the Fireteam, 2 are the exact same rifle with different mods, one is a rocket launcher, one quite literally a reused Predator asset and the other 2 being 2 laser weapons made out of Predator technology. All Predator weapons were melee weapons, and all of them were original and not any of the missing gear seen in the movies. Over half of these weapons were locked behind DLC at their time of their launch. Illfonic really neglected Predator AND different playstyles, with no new shotguns and handguns for the Fireteam and no new ranged weapons for the Predator.

There's more but at this point, you can see how one was struggling and the other wasn't, Alien has also been very transparent with us with their roadmap, while Predator kept us guessing and even tricked us one time :/

SuperiorIronman

Someone pointed it out on the Illfonic forums, they did it to us again with the dreadlocks. He does have textured dreads.., in the store photo. I noticed he didn't have it in the pack, what I didn't count on was it being in the store photo. Is nobody checking the DLC packs?

RidgeTop

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Apr 24, 2022, 08:00:43 PM
Someone pointed it out on the Illfonic forums, they did it to us again with the dreadlocks. He does have textured dreads.., in the store photo. I noticed he didn't have it in the pack, what I didn't count on was it being in the store photo. Is nobody checking the DLC packs?

I think it's just the longer dreads actually, the initial female ones. Not sure why they used two different ones for the marketing though.

I've been away on some travel and just got back, but yeah another super disappointing update with this one after Wolf. Not how I was hoping they'd ring in the game's 2nd Anniversary.

PAS Spinelli

Was hoping he'd have at least some kind of ranged weapon, but nope.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed