Sales

Started by PRI. HUDSON, Oct 22, 2014, 02:00:25 AM

Author
Sales (Read 57,997 times)

NetworkATTH

NetworkATTH

So glad this game is doing well. It's not just a great Alien game, it's a great game in general, in my opinion and deserves the recognition it gets. It has its flaws, but it's such a creative atypical work, for it to get this kind of profit and attention, that people want a breath of fresh air, is what this means beyond the good news this means for the folks at creative assembly.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I imagine the slew of awards and fantastic word of mouth the game has had has helped it fight the stigmata that Colonial Marines has inflicted on it. Thankfully.

Sagit

Sagit

Right. So come on CA how about a sequel? ;)

NetworkATTH

NetworkATTH

I'm gonna be the unpopular opinion and say I don't even think Alien Isolation needs a sequel. For it to be too concrete in its presence in canon it can sabotage itself into being considered less, if you get what I'm saying. I've come to grow into accepting personal choice in picking canon is the best option. But that's just personally because I believe A. Ripley died in the vacuum of space and probably got replaced by an Android on her scheduled return, a bit of a clever retcon as to why she never married or had children and died fairly early. It's anyone's guess I like it that way but I'm a masochist.

If they were to do a sequel,  this is what I would do. I would love the idea with a genesis in the ghost ship of the MSV-7760 Torrens floating out there nebulous in sub-light speed before it runs out, someone intercepts it, you get the idea. With all the naval/spaceflight parallels, the idea of a huge hulking ghost spacecraft fairly larger than the narcissus with some deadly secrets interesting. They could easily follow parts of Gibson's Alien III script from there (obviously not the genetic engineering parts) . An authority anchor for some region, (Marshal Border Patrol?, maybe Marshal would be less trope than Marines for the millionth time), pick it up, clamp it, board it, and shit gets sticky quick. I don't think establishing a blank slate character would be too invasive, at that point it would be its one thing, with mostly the boarding incident in the background, just having things on station deteriorate. And Weyland-Yutani like Wiley Coyote go hunting again and its a race against time before they arrive, maybe the protag comes across communications saying they want to abduct everyone in proximity to the infection for study, or maybe they want to capture an alien and blast the station to hell. The idea of a precise time limit after a point in the game, to get done what has to be done sounds very in tune with what Alien is all about. Rushing running and rushing and running.

As for more precise details, I'm not sure. But it's just an idea throwing around IF they decide to go with a 2. I think having Amanda be, in canon dead, is a bit more ominous and gives Burke a bit more sinister edge, or Burke was just playing off records. Who knows. This is just where I'd like to see them go. And I'm sure not everyone would agree with it.

PRI. HUDSON

PRI. HUDSON

VG has it at 1.55 shipped/sold/whatever.

Good for them.

JayHy17

JayHy17

Well done CA! Now, let's bring on the Smart Guns and Pulse Rifles this time around. Keep it scary, lots of atmosphere, but it's time to do some bug stomping!

PRI. HUDSON

PRI. HUDSON

Quote from: JayHy17 on Jan 30, 2015, 04:33:13 AM
Well done CA! Now, let's bring on the Smart Guns and Pulse Rifles this time around. Keep it scary, lots of atmosphere, but it's time to do some bug stomping!

Call me crazy, but they can easily pull it off. I hope a good publisher buys the rights to the series and makes A+, quality games.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: JayHy17 on Jan 30, 2015, 04:33:13 AM

That's a name I haven't seen for a while!

How did you like the game?

Jman

Jman

It is a great game. It really conveys the feeling of being stalked by Giger's original 1979 Alien.

Engineer

Engineer

I just saw an article that lists sales for alien isolation at 1.76 million...

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sega-s-big-bet-on-console-games-falls-short/1100-6425252/

Darkness

Darkness

Sega have released their annual financial results and Alien isolation has sold 2.11 million units so far.

Gaming sites seem to be calling Isolation sales poor but it's still sold more than AvP and ACM.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05/11/sega-laments-weak-sales-as-alien-isolation-shifts-21-million

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

They were cited as selling well if I remember rightly. How does that work?  :-\

gabgrave

gabgrave

They might be trying to justify the shift to F2P mobile and PC games.  ::)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 11, 2015, 12:55:49 PM
They were cited as selling well if I remember rightly. How does that work?  :-\

Ultimately seeing it as successful or not would depend on the games development and advertising budget - how much it cost to make and promote in other words.

A:CM cost around $60 million but I'm pretty damn sure A:I had a much more modest budget. A:I might not have reached the giddy sales heights of the CoD franchise but I think it did pretty well for such a niche genre.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

SEGA are apparently themselves calling sales of the game "weak".

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/news/news-16165-Alien--Isolation-Sells-2-1m-Units-as-SEGA-Reports--Weak--Game-Sales.html

It'll be a real shame if they don't do a sequel, because Isolation is one of the best games I've played in years. Unbridled terror from beginning to end. SEGA should probably realise people are still pissed off at them after the Colonial Marines clusterf*ck.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed