The Renovated Members' Studio Thread

Started by TheSailingRabbit, Jan 28, 2019, 02:21:07 PM

Author
The Renovated Members' Studio Thread (Read 14,569 times)

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 10, 2019, 08:49:34 PM
Don't need to.  His sanity is already on a razor's edge.  All he needs is a nudge.

Well, I won't let anyone give that nudge.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 03, 2017, 09:43:22 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 03, 2017, 05:32:43 PM
Would you be surprised to discover that you're slowly going mad?

Not in the slightest.  :laugh:

Necronomicon II

Cheers for the interview, I hope my answers were juicy enough.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Necronomicon II on Feb 11, 2019, 07:56:44 AM
I was no fan of the AVP films; they're garbage and should be jettisoned into the sun.

Geez Necro. What did the sun ever do to you to deserve that? ;)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 10, 2019, 09:32:35 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 03, 2017, 09:43:22 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 03, 2017, 05:32:43 PM
Would you be surprised to discover that you're slowly going mad?

Not in the slightest.  :laugh:

Another good interview, Rabbit and Necro. I love getting to see it all laid out like this and getting to know folk.

TheSailingRabbit

TheSailingRabbit

I will be sending questions to Xenomrph today, and then I will see if either somebody else wants to be interviewed, or find an assistant.

- The Cruentus
- Corporal Hicks
- Voodoo Magic
- Huggs

- Vermillion (? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?)
- MudButt
- HuDaFuk
- Necronomicon II

- Xenomrph (in progress)

Updated schedule.

Xenomrph

Oh god.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 12, 2019, 03:25:32 AM
Oh god.

Your answers will be considered Canon.

Necronomicon II

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 11, 2019, 01:07:57 PM
I was no fan of the AVP films; they're garbage and should be jettisoned into the sun.

As if the sun would even notice a speck of shite like that.  :D

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Necronomicon II on Feb 12, 2019, 06:28:53 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 11, 2019, 01:07:57 PM

As if the sun would even notice a speck of shite like that.  :D

Just warn us before you do it, so we can stay clear of you.... just in case the sun retaliates!  ;D

Huggs

Huggs

If we sent a copy of the predator, it would be like the ending of "knowing".

Voodoo Magic

Welcome ladies and gentlemen to an all new edition of The Renovated Members' Studio Thread!

No, there's nothing wrong with your screen. Today your charismatic, loveable host has been replaced with an even more charismatic, loveable guest host, Voodoo Magic!

And today I have reversed the interview spotlight, and focused it on the interviewer herself, THE SAILING RABBIT. Doing so not only caused her temporary blindness, but revealed her to be quite a fantastic interview!

So, without further ado, heeeeeeerrrrrrreeeeee's Rabbit!
:

First, tell us a little about yourself. Who is the woman beneath the fur and bunny ears outside of AvPGalaxy?

My real name is Catherine Kruger (yes, people have asked me if I'm related to Freddy Krueger), and I live in the state of New York, where it is cold for ten months out of the year. I'm pretty young compared to the majority of AvPGalaxy, and I kind of expected that when I joined, because in my real life I've never been able to really get along with other people my age. In high school, I was a member of JROTC for all four years, and graduated at the rank of cadet second lieutenant. I was also part of MasterMinds (which is a trivia team), and managed to go to the National Geography Bowl in Washington, D.C., three times, as well as rank first in our state division my senior year.

I enlisted in the Navy in October of 2017, but I washed out because I failed the initial run. At the time of this interview, I'm currently trying to get in better shape so I can get back in and start my own life as a sailor, and get my own place so I can start collecting action figures and movies.

At your core, you seem to be very creative. How do you express yourself creatively and where do you hope to see yourself in the future?

I have been writing and drawing since the third grade. I will take inspiration from anything and turn it into some kind of story. My writing is definitely stronger than my drawing, but I have been getting better at drawing over the last several years. I don't see it as excellent, but I'm also learning not to put my work down as shit because I have gotten compliments on it when I began posting it to Twitter and within the Fan Art thread of AvPGalaxy. I am pursuing a career as a writer--I doubt I'll ever write for Aliens, but who knows--but I also want to attempt comics, because that's where art and storytelling really come together. A small part of me would like to make movies someday, but I imagine I'd become a nightmare of a director because I'm really not that good at working with other people.

Mainly, I like creating things that people can get emotionally invested in, or smile at, and just plain enjoy. I don't get a lot of hearts or comments on my stories and cartoons I post on here, fanfiction sites, or Twitter, but if someone is enjoying what I make, that's all that matters to me.

How did you come up with your username?

Pretty simple: "sailing" from my career, and "rabbit" from my love of rabbits. Also, who doesn't love the thought of a bunny in a boat?

Your activity on AvPGalaxy seems to be more community driven than by fandom. Can you explain why?

It's more of a blend of both, because I can't have one without the other. I was pretty gun-shy when I first joined AvPGalaxy because I felt like I was in a minority of the fandom after browsing the forums (casual Marine fan, refuses to engage in arguments). I had posted my stories to the Fanfiction thread, and got no response, so a part of me was beginning to feel like I made a mistake. There really isn't a lot of good fanfiction for this franchise, so I figured that anyone who saw it assumed it was garbage. That's OK. No one has to read it if they don't want to.

I was still in that boat when I left for boot camp back in September. When I washed out and came back home, I found myself with a lot of time on my hands, and began exploring the site a little more. I didn't want to be that person in the background anymore, so I began posting on topics that I found interesting, and soon myself a couple of friends that I feel emotionally attached to. It's not something I really have in real life. I keep coming back every day because I know someone's going to make me laugh and smile and feel like I'm a part of something. I don't feel like a weirdo anymore: I feel like I'm part of a group of weirdos, and that's how we like it.

Who are your favorite members on the AvPGalaxy forums, and how many of them practice voodoo?

Ha, only one of them practices voodoo (but Baron might as well, I'm not too sure). Of course Huggs and Voodoo Magic hold a special place in my heart for being able to be weird with me. I don't think I'll ever be able to express how much I'm thankful for that. And Vermillion; he's made me laugh pretty hard when I needed it. Baron seriously grossed everyone out with his advice on how to deal with belly button lint on the Worst Advice thread (no, Baron, we're not letting that go anytime soon), but he can still get me to smile. I know it's gonna sound cheesy, but . . . I really should take this opportunity to thank our Corporal Hicks for being welcoming of me to the site and for adjusting my avatar. I like his positive outlook at certain things, as well as the podcasts (right now, I'm torn between Daniel Kash and Trevor Steedman as my favorite thus far).

What was your first introduction to both the Alien and Predator franchises?

A mix of things. I knew it existed, but I didn't know it was as big as it is. In truth, The Shawshank Redemption sculpted part of my pathway to Aliens; it introduced me to classic movies and character acting and the like. I dug around the filmographies of several of the actors in Shawshank, just to see what else was there, and stumbled across Aliens in Mark Rolston's background. I started watching clips on YouTube and seeing how this guy is able to bring different characters to life. That's what fascinated me--actors who can create a character and make you want more. I wanted more, but there wasn't more (of Drake), so I started writing it.

I needed to do a lot more research so I felt like I knew what I was doing. In that time, I realized how much bigger the franchise and fandom actually is, so I felt like I was going to piss off a lot of fans if I screwed up my writing of canon characters. Enter Alien Theory and his YouTube channel. I found there's more than the movies. Like Star Wars, there are novels and comics and games and I found myself falling in love.

So, once a month, Alien Theory does a Q&A video, and you can submit questions through Twitter. I joined Twitter for that reason alone, mainly because Drake is one of his favorite Marines, too, and my question was whether or not a novel from Drake's perspective would be worth seeing. He said yes, and that was the final step in being part of this fandom for a really long time.

Yeah . . . this is all because of Drake.

Ain't that sad.

I don't know if you noticed this, but others seem to think you have a deep fascination towards Bill Paxton and Michael Biehn? What brought that on?

In the beginning, I got Hicks and Hudson messed up a lot. I knew one of them was goofy and one of them was quiet. Little did I know, they were played by two acting geniuses that look good with no shirt on.

Jokes aside, some of it came from the fact that Drake doesn't have a true plastic form from NECA yet. I saw lots of Hicks and Hudson figures on Google, but no Drake, so I delved into what made these two special. And I got sucked into their actors' careers as well. Also, Hudson's funny. It's impossible not to love him. He's the comic relief, but like everyone else in the movie, it feels like there's so much more than what we see. Paxton put so much effort into Hudson that it makes me eager to pick up every movie he's been in to see how versatile he is. I can say almost the same for Biehn, but it's more because I can relate to how Hicks is the quiet guy who doesn't say much until it's necessary.

What are your feelings towards the Ridley Scott Alien prequels?

Not as strong as most other people. I accept them as they are. Truth be told, I do like the Engineers and I want to see more of them, maybe even a fully-fledged, three dimensional character of one. But, yeah, I don't hate the prequels. I actually like them, in a way. They definitely can be written better, but I don't dislike them.

If you could change one thing about the Alien franchise, what would it be?

I want more Drake.

If I could change one thing, it would be Aliens: Colonial Marines. I feel like I could write a better story than what was presented. I don't think canon characters should be put down as pointless to use because they've "served their time and purpose/they're dead" or any other bullshit I've seen regarding having a character "stay dead." It all depends on how the story is written and how the characters are written. If someone wants to write a good, fleshed-out what-if story, let them. It's not the end of the world, or the end of the franchise.

What's your favorite film and book outside of the Alien and Predator franchises?

I've already mentioned my favorite movie is The Shawshank Redemption. I enjoy the original novella, but it's one of those rare cases where the movie outdoes the book. As far as books, I will admit, I enjoy Harry Potter, and I absolutely love Watership Down (if you haven't read it, it's fantastic--it's rabbits, but gory).

Finally, the most important question of them all: The four of us (me, you, Huggs, and Baron) are stuck on a tiny deserted island. Who survives and why?

Baron goes insane and tries to start a cult with a pair of coconuts, a starfish, and a dead lobster.

Voodoo attempts to kill the rest of us because I still haven't seen Michael Biehn's glorious shirtless scene Terminator yet.

Huggs and I are secretly building a raft out of there while protecting ourselves from Voodoo and Baron.

That's it folks. I would like to thank Fuzzy Toes The Sailing Rabbit for putting up with such an obnoxious interviewer, as well as being so essential to the fun I and many others have here on these forums. #BestRabbitEver (sorry White Rabbit)

Huggs

Huggs

Great interview. Well done voodoo. And I must say, you look rather fetching in that evening light.

Voodoo Magic

Why thank you kind sir! What can I say, I'm fetching and worth catching!

Xenomrph

Oh hey, 'The Shawshank Redemption' is my #1 movie of all time. I definitely agree that it's one of the rare cases where the movie is better than the book (and the book is great).

Tangentially related, if you like the movie 'Watership Down', seek out the Criterion Collection blu-ray that came out a few years ago.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed