More Victims! More Mutilations! An Interview with Predator 2 Director Stephen Hopkins - AvP Galaxy Podcast #121

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 08, 2021, 04:00:41 PM

Author
More Victims! More Mutilations! An Interview with Predator 2 Director Stephen Hopkins - AvP Galaxy Podcast #121 (Read 24,144 times)

molasar

@Voodoo Magic

Kailem

Great interview guys! It's awesome that you were actually able to get Stephen Hopkins! He definitely seems like a really chill guy. I was amazed at how well Voodoo was able to keep himself together! :laugh: Congrats!

It's great to finally have some answers about some of the biggest Predator 2 rumours/urban legends that have cropped up over the years, especially the general outline of what the movie would have been if Dutch had been involved. As soon as he mentioned that Joel Silver had produced 48 Hours it all clicked into place. That definitely would have been cool to see, though I do think the lack of Dutch helped "free" the franchise from being too dependant on any particular characters, and the movie turned out great as it is.

And yeah, finally the mystery of Keyes' torso is solved! The MPAA swooped in and grabbed it before it could hit the ground! Interesting to hear he was offered Alien 3 as well, though given his reasoning I totally get why he turned it down. Still, it's always fun to hear about any sort of "road not taken" stories when it comes to movies, so that was a cool tidbit too.

That was indeed a very cool listen!

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: molasar on Jan 10, 2021, 07:36:04 PM
@Voodoo Magic

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/EarnestGiddyAntelopegroundsquirrel-max-1mb.gif

To compose something so majestic, one could die happy. If one dies

Voodoo Magic

It was Voodoo Magical!!

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Jan 10, 2021, 06:44:59 PM
Wow! What a great way for you guys to start the year! Congratulations to you both, Hicks and Voodoo! Feathers in your caps :) Thanks to Stephen Hopkins for granting such a generous and revealing interview. It's wonderful that Mr Hopkins is such a down-to-earth and enthusiastic guy. It was an outstanding listen, too. Enjoyed it very much.

Thanks Xeno Hunter. And indeed, very down-to-eath and very enthusiastic. He was just a wonderful pleasure to have on! 

Quote from: molasar on Jan 10, 2021, 07:36:04 PM
@Voodoo Magic

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/EarnestGiddyAntelopegroundsquirrel-max-1mb.gif

Hopkins and Thomas Brothers are definitely on the bucket list my friend.  :)

Quote from: Kailem on Jan 10, 2021, 08:54:18 PM
Great interview guys! It's awesome that you were actually able to get Stephen Hopkins! He definitely seems like a really chill guy. I was amazed at how well Voodoo was able to keep himself together! :laugh: Congrats!

Thanks Kailem!

I practiced before the interview...

BigDaddyJohn

Really enjoyed watching it on youtube, good job guys ! Stephen Hopkins seems like a chill dude.

Hunter-Killer

Good stuff and happy new years, I learn a lot of cool things from these episodes.

FYI, for any comic nerds out there, I recently came across a sword and sorcery series called "spell jammer," and if you can find issue 4 which came out December 1990, there's a killer Predator 2 movie promo that you can tear out, it's double-sided and probably around 8x14 inches, with the movie poster advertisement on one side and a predator 2 weapons loadout on the other. I paid $1.50 for the comic.
Cheers

bobby brown

What a treat!

Wonderful interview! You guys are doing a fantastic job with this site.
I am grateful for avpgalaxy! the best fansite ever!

skhellter

Solid interview. (Also glad to find out that Stephen's still working..)

molasar

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 11, 2021, 02:43:16 PM

I will look forward to this if it ever happens.

Marc505

Marc505

Fair play Hicks, Voodoo & co, some serious graft has gone into commemorating the 30th anniversary of Predator 2 culminating in this. You tried to contact everyone involved with the film and ended up landing the biggest fish of the lot!

Really appreciate all you've done, a great source of new information about the film and some myths busted, too!

One thing I would say though, I still would like to see those shards of frames that were cut. Even if they added barely a second or two per scene, that extra hint of gore or the Predator at work would have been a treat.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Jan 11, 2021, 03:08:01 PM
Really enjoyed watching it on youtube, good job guys ! Stephen Hopkins seems like a chill dude.

Thanks brother. Hopkins really couldn't have been any nicer.

Quote from: Hunter-Killer on Jan 11, 2021, 06:22:17 PM
Good stuff and happy new years, I learn a lot of cool things from these episodes.

FYI, for any comic nerds out there, I recently came across a sword and sorcery series called "spell jammer," and if you can find issue 4 which came out December 1990, there's a killer Predator 2 movie promo that you can tear out, it's double-sided and probably around 8x14 inches, with the movie poster advertisement on one side and a predator 2 weapons loadout on the other. I paid $1.50 for the comic.
Cheers

I'm familiar with the movie promo insert but not being in Spell Jammer #4. I ordered a copy yesterday just in case it's different from the ones I've seen.  And you're right, it was cheap! Thanks for sharing this info H-K!  You da man!! 👍

Quote from: molasar on Jan 11, 2021, 08:22:32 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 11, 2021, 02:43:16 PM

I will look forward to this if it ever happens.

Aw man, the Thomas Bros? From your lips to the Predator Gods' ears brother!  We have to find the mountainous cave they're hiding in first! :)

Quote from: Marc505 on Jan 11, 2021, 09:49:48 PM
Fair play Hicks, Voodoo & co, some serious graft has gone into commemorating the 30th anniversary of Predator 2 culminating in this. You tried to contact everyone involved with the film and ended up landing the biggest fish of the lot!

Really appreciate all you've done, a great source of new information about the film and some myths busted, too!

One thing I would say though, I still would like to see those shards of frames that were cut. Even if they added barely a second or two per scene, that extra hint of gore or the Predator at work would have been a treat.

Thanks so much Marc. And even if we got just a peek, like a still photograph of Keyes' upper torso, it would still be such a treat!

426Buddy

I would love to see the Keys torso reinserted into the film. It would give that scen a lil extra punch.

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jan 12, 2021, 03:37:49 PM
I would love to see the Keys torso reinserted into the film. It would give that scen a lil extra punch.

Me too ! Would love to see the extra gore effects for the torso !

Lost_Hunter

Well done guys, that was awesome! Hopkins always did seem chill and down to earth. It was great how he emphasized the Predator as a main character, something the franchise has been missing since. Great job on the questions too, the only one I would have added is why the Predator chose to use the self destruct. Still hoping for those gory scenes to be inserted some day. Looking forward to the next podcast!

Voodoo, I always took that as stretched skin over a light on the ceiling of the lost ship.

Kradan

Regarding self-destruct: I took it as City Hunter found himself in "checkmate" position while hanging on that building so starting self-destruct sequence was supposed to be his final "f**k you" to Harrigan (and people of LA for that matter).

What bothers me more is that how choping off CH supposed to stop that

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed