Alien Haunts 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray on Alien Day 2019

Started by BonesawT101, Oct 14, 2017, 07:53:54 PM

Author
Alien Haunts 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray on Alien Day 2019 (Read 69,929 times)

Huggs

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 23, 2019, 06:27:31 PM
Quote from: Huggs on Apr 23, 2019, 06:20:09 PM
You know you're a true fan when you buy stuff you can't use yet.  ;)

I don't believe I've purchased product I can't use in regards to A or P, but I do have duplicates of releases.

Does that mean I'm not a truuuuue fan?

Now now, you know what I meant.  ;)

Nukiemorph

I was under the impression that the blu-ray disc would be a scaled-down copy of the new 4K transfer... but I'm almost positive this is just the exact same disc we got in the Anthology set.

Just throwing this out for anyone who's curious.

AVP-CAPCOM

I'm not a tech geek (heck I watch torrented movies on a square PC plasma screen from 2007) but I don't get "ultra HD" upgrades of old movies.

Even new cinema movies are still filmed in 24 frames per second so DVD is fine.

The 4K-HD element adds odd movements and frame morphing during films I find. TV is ok but that's because TV is ultra real. Movies need that fantasical haze to differentiate the atmosphere.

SiL

...ow, is that a joke?

Ultra HD has nothing to do with frame rate, it's the frame size. The actual size of the image. The films are still 24 frames per second, it's just that they're scanned in a higher resolution digital format.

Mr. Clemens

Folks will convince themselves of anything to justify sticking with dvd after all these years.

SiL

"It's cheaper" is still a pretty good argument, but that's about it.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: David's Creation on Apr 24, 2019, 05:42:53 AM
I was under the impression that the blu-ray disc would be a scaled-down copy of the new 4K transfer... but I'm almost positive this is just the exact same disc we got in the Anthology set.

It is indeed the Anthology disc.

Corporal Hicks

Which is a huge shame. I wonder how hard it would have actually been to give us the new transfer at 1080.

The Old One

The Old One

Easy, but Capitalism.
And yeah, the Blu-ray annihilates the DVD's visual and audio presentation, and the UHD is superior again.

acrediblesource

Anyone can confirm if thr 4kHDR quality is any beneficial to the consumer? Especially in the shot of the planets I'm wondering if the extra bits of colour information show us anything in the dark dark details of the shadowed planets.

RidgeTop

Quote from: acrediblesource on Apr 24, 2019, 10:23:31 PM
Anyone can confirm if thr 4kHDR quality is any beneficial to the consumer? Especially in the shot of the planets I'm wondering if the extra bits of colour information show us anything in the dark dark details of the shadowed planets.

Yeah, I notice a difference in sharpness and visible detail. Though it's also more dependent on distance from the screen than 1080p is. HDR also makes a difference depending on the quality of the display implementation.

It's not as big of a jump as the one from DVD to Blu-Ray was, but it's still a jump.

Huggs

As much as I'd love to get it, it's not enough of a jump for me to justify a $600+ tv and $100+ player and accoutrements.

The anthology blurays are about as perfect as I could ever want.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Huggs on Apr 24, 2019, 11:44:38 PM
The anthology blurays and Voodoo Magic are about as perfect as I could ever want.

I totally agree.

Huggs

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 25, 2019, 12:31:50 AM
Quote from: Huggs on Apr 24, 2019, 11:44:38 PM
The anthology blurays and Voodoo Magic are about as perfect as I could ever want.

I totally agree.

Well it's true...ish.  :laugh:

Darkness

Quote from: David's Creation on Apr 24, 2019, 05:42:53 AM

Studios rarely ever do that. And why would they? Even if they remastered the 1080p transfer, you're not gaining much of anything. No enhanced resolution, no HDR, The 4K set is for people who have the equipment to view 4K stuff. The addition of the 1080p disc is merely a supplement.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed