NECA Predator Figure Series

Started by Sabres21768, Dec 04, 2010, 06:10:40 AM

Author
NECA Predator Figure Series (Read 1,173,721 times)

SuperiorIronman

SuperiorIronman

So based on this;

The Predators began as the Hish-qu-Ten which means the term Yaujta came later. So Hish is used to describe them, just in an earlier period of history, whether they called themselves this or if it's a name given by the invaders is unclear. The Amengi (presumed to be the species for the original Predator before the Winston redesign) had invaded the home-world and enslaved them for gladiatorial combat and labor. The Amengi however engineered their own defeat because through this process of breeding warriors hell bent on killing they eventually overthrew their masters. 

With this information in mind we can surmise that the origins of the culture seems to stem from gladiatorial combat and guerilla tactics used to fight the Amengi. The box also says "thousands of years" which doesn't jive with what we know about ages of various Predators but this could also be viewed as thousands relative to the Alpha given that Alpha simply wouldn't have survived into the modern day. I say this since we know the earliest point in the timeline at least on Earth is the dawn of Humanity which the Predators played a small role in.The Amengi are not seen in the flashback in AVP so we can safely assume this would take place after they overthrew them.

Interestingly while it seems to imply an origin for how they use their gear it doesn't say the Amengi gave it to them. Infact if this is taken at face value it means that early Predator weaponry is fashioned from ripping apart one of their masters and converting it into weapons and armor.

shadowedge

shadowedge

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on May 16, 2020, 04:22:20 AM

So based on this;

The Predators began as the Hish-qu-Ten which means the term Yaujta came later. So Hish is used to describe them, just in an earlier period of history, whether they called themselves this or if it's a name given by the invaders is unclear. The Amengi (presumed to be the species for the original Predator before the Winston redesign) had invaded the home-world and enslaved them for gladiatorial combat and labor. The Amengi however engineered their own defeat because through this process of breeding warriors hell bent on killing they eventually overthrew their masters. 

With this information in mind we can surmise that the origins of the culture seems to stem from gladiatorial combat and guerilla tactics used to fight the Amengi. The box also says "thousands of years" which doesn't jive with what we know about ages of various Predators but this could also be viewed as thousands relative to the Alpha given that Alpha simply wouldn't have survived into the modern day. I say this since we know the earliest point in the timeline at least on Earth is the dawn of Humanity which the Predators played a small role in.The Amengi are not seen in the flashback in AVP so we can safely assume this would take place after they overthrew them.

Interestingly while it seems to imply an origin for how they use their gear it doesn't say the Amengi gave it to them. Infact if this is taken at face value it means that early Predator weaponry is fashioned from ripping apart one of their masters and converting it into weapons and armor.

Nice find.  I don't think this is cannon but, but considering it is a lisenced product, 20th century most likely had to sign off on it. Personally I don't like the Hish portrayal, more of a fan of Yautja.

Mister Skeezler

Mister Skeezler

The Hish concept feels more alien. The Yautja concept feels more Star Trek alien.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: shadowedge on May 16, 2020, 02:34:11 PM
Nice find.  I don't think this is cannon but, but considering it is a lisenced product, 20th century most likely had to sign off on it. Personally I don't like the Hish portrayal, more of a fan of Yautja.

Haven't ya heard?  Even Neca is canon!

SuperiorIronman

SuperiorIronman

Something kind of neat is that Hish-qu-Ten is used in MKX for one of the Predator's fighting styles. So in a period of time when they're bred for hard labor and gladiatorial combat it's worth noting that Hish is also a term for a fighting style. While MKX very likely isn't canon, it could potentially be seen as a callback to their roots as a combat style perhaps based on the tactics the old Predators used.

Though I'm not sure why the terms changed later. Both Hish and Yaujta are used and while Hish could potentially have simply become a term used for a fighting style, it's weird the term for the race changed. Though a potential explanation is that Yaujta could be a rallying name that took off during their rebellion or it was a name the Amengi gave them and they opted for a new one. Not gonna lie, I'd love to see a comic about that.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 16, 2020, 02:48:42 PM

Mild caveat - the guy who wrote the Predator bible says he wasn't consulted on this particular packaging and it conflicts with the Bible as he wrote it, but his easy ad hoc explanation is that this is the Predator history as they choose to tell it, rather than literal truth.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 16, 2020, 07:20:28 PM

Mild caveat - the guy who wrote the Predator bible says he wasn't consulted on this particular packaging and it conflicts with the Bible as he wrote it, but his easy ad hoc explanation is that this is the Predator history as they choose to tell it, rather than literal truth.

shadowedge

shadowedge

Neat! Who wrote the Predator bible and what is it/where is it? Sounds interesting!

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: shadowedge on May 16, 2020, 09:42:57 PM
Neat! Who wrote the Predator bible and what is it/where is it? Sounds interesting!

Behold!!!

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=35808.4560

shadowedge

shadowedge

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 16, 2020, 10:08:16 PM
Quote from: shadowedge on May 16, 2020, 09:42:57 PM

Behold!!!

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=35808.4560
Neat and thank you!

The Shuriken

The Shuriken

So based on this;

How the Predators got their tech is something I never really wanted answered. I don't care, I just want more alien hunters using cool gadgets. Hints here or there that slightly expand and tease lore is fine. But full in explanation? No.

That being said. In the past I have I sort of came up with the idea that the Predators found the tech from a precious civilization on their planet. Like if Native American tribes found a cache of Roman Empire weapons.

bobcunk

bobcunk

I just assumed they developed it themselves and also took it from other aliens they killed. There probably are predator scientists and things like that, I doubt they are all hunter warriors. Even the klingons have scientists and politicians.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

So... the Yautja as a species weren't ever really naturally an occuring species, but the Hish were and the Yautja were instead a result of breeding and genetic engineering? Yeah, I am not at all a fan of this bullshit retconned origin for the Predators. I really don't see why the Hish and the Yautja should be reconciled this way-- I would've preferred if the Super Predators were the Hish and the normal Predators were the Yautja. But this retcon just... Augh! Absolutely am not a fan of it at all whatsoever...

So you're saying this bull retcon isn't likely canon because the guy who wrote the Predator bible wasn't consulted and this is just NECA's own interpretation of the Yautja origin rather than what the Predator bible says? I hope so, because this just... doesn't make me happy.

So what IS the literal truth from the Predator Bible? I'm curious.

SuperiorIronman

SuperiorIronman

Quote from: bobcunk on May 18, 2020, 09:47:35 PM
I just assumed they developed it themselves and also took it from other aliens they killed. There probably are predator scientists and things like that, I doubt they are all hunter warriors. Even the klingons have scientists and politicians.

The Emissary Predators had at one point been meant to be something like that, emissaries and scientists.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: RakaiThwei on May 24, 2020, 07:48:34 AM

So... the Yautja as a species weren't ever really naturally an occuring species, but the Hish were and the Yautja were instead a result of breeding and genetic engineering? Yeah, I am not at all a fan of this bullshit retconned origin for the Predators. I really don't see why the Hish and the Yautja should be reconciled this way-- I would've preferred if the Super Predators were the Hish and the normal Predators were the Yautja. But this retcon just... Augh! Absolutely am not a fan of it at all whatsoever...

So you're saying this bull retcon isn't likely canon because the guy who wrote the Predator bible wasn't consulted and this is just NECA's own interpretation of the Yautja origin rather than what the Predator bible says? I hope so, because this just... doesn't make me happy.

So what IS the literal truth from the Predator Bible? I'm curious.

We dont know what the Predator Bible says, it's an internal document.

There is no "literal truth", it's all fiction. If you think the NECA story sucks, then just ignore it and say it's apocryphal/Predator myths and legends/whatever.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed