IGN's Preview Community Event (Live Stream February 2nd)

Started by ikarop, Jan 24, 2013, 12:51:20 AM

Author
IGN's Preview Community Event (Live Stream February 2nd) (Read 83,543 times)

RogueHelios

I really hope someone makes a mod for PC where we can go into First Person as a Xenomorph, third person just looks wrong.

SM

It's strange that you go first person in a vent, but then switch back to third after.  Did I read something about that the third person was to give the Alien a wider range of vision or something?

ShadowPred

Quote from: SM on Feb 07, 2013, 12:49:18 AM
It's strange that you go first person in a vent, but then switch back to third after.  Did I read something about that the third person was to give the Alien a wider range of vision or something?

Gearbox doesn't know when they're contradicting themselves.

Crazy Rich

I did not have a big problem with first person alien in AvP99, AvP2, and AvP2010. When one of them in the IGN video (I'm not the greatest with names) talks about how first person would disorientate a lot of people and so they made the majority of the alien gameplay third person I was thinking "Wha?"

OpenMaw

Quote from: Prime113 on Feb 06, 2013, 11:43:51 PM
Just look around here. I never said it was a pandemic of non-shit buying. Look at guys like WinterActual. I think he actually said "I'm not buying Gearbox's BS." Or maybe that was ShadowPred.

I know i'm not buying Gearbox's BS. That's not a literal statement though. I mean what they say, not the game. I've got the game pre-ordered, and i'll buy it. It's an investment of time, as well as money, for me. So I can't just back out of it now.

ShadowPred

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Feb 07, 2013, 12:53:01 AM
I did not have a big problem with first person alien in AvP99, AvP2, and AvP2010. When one of them in the IGN video (I'm not the greatest with names) talks about how first person would disorientate a lot of people and so therefore they made the majority of the alien gameplay third person I was thinking "Wha?"

It's understandable why they did it, but I don't get why they couldn't have just given us the option to turn it on and off. They've been at this game for years already, it's hard to believe that they just ignored the people who were used to the first-person perspective. Then again, it shouldn't really be unbelievable to me since it wasn't until they saw that petition for playable female marines that they finally got off their asses to actually put that in the game.

SM

QuoteIt's understandable why they did it, but I don't get why they couldn't have just given us the option to turn it on and off.

Especially when it's already built in to the game.

Crazy Rich

Quote from: SM on Feb 07, 2013, 12:57:35 AM
QuoteIt's understandable why they did it, but I don't get why they couldn't have just given us the option to turn it on and off.

Especially when it's already built in to the game.
Pretty much all this. I can see myself being screwed in third person because I go into melee combat and my camera view dramatically changes due to ending up in an enclosed space or getting close to a wall, therefore jinxing me.

By the way don't get me wrong guys, I'm really excited for this game, especially multiplayer, I'm just chatting away.

Xenomorphine

We can judge the game on two levels...

Claims to be canon: Gearbox have been so incredibly loud about this - including on the most recent video - that making simple observations about the sheer number of things which contradict canon (after watching almost two entire missions through, no less) is a perfectly subject for legitimate for discussion. You don't want that to trouble you? Well, nobody's asking you to. :) But effectively telling people to stop talking about it isn't very constructive, either.

Bottom line is that Gearbox are the ones who keep bringing this up.

Gameplay/entertainment value: After seeing the afore-mentioned almost two entire mission's worth (and various instances reflected in the advertising), discussing how entertaining/atmospheric it'll be, is also very much a legitimate subject for discussion.

And let's face it, we wouldn't be fans if we weren't able to make fun of how our own fandom is being represented, like I did here, would we? :) That's what separates us from the scary obsessives...

So long as criticism is constructive, there's nothing wrong with it. I've made observations on stuff I've found strange, but tried to qualify it with how it could've been done differently/better. I've also said that I hope the game will be enjoyable as an experience. But I'm not going to lie and say it looks any different from the 'Doom' formula or the 2010 AVP game, because it doesn't.

Just like how I still disagree with those who say the Alien or Predator are incapable of being scary/formidable on film, any more. The problem's never been over-exposure. It's that they haven't been portrayed right in ages.

Deathly_rYaN

I think it was just All the motion blur when you were an Alien in AVP2010. I did get headaches from it aswell but not that much. In other games it was handled well.

PRI. HUDSON

Quote from: OpenMaw on Feb 06, 2013, 10:53:46 PM
Quote from: PRI. HUDSON on Feb 06, 2013, 10:50:46 PM
I am not giving them a pass but I am not gonna cry about the amount of cryo tubes either. If GBX has an open forum about the stuff they messed up, trust me, I will take part of it.

I care. So do several others. All you need/seem to care about is whether the basic game entertains you. Good for you. I would like more from Gearbox than that. Good for me.  :)

No, I care if the game is good. Not if it entertains me. In that case, AVP 2010 was a good game cause I found it entertaining. As average, mediocre, bad as the game was I logged many hours on the MP because it was mindless fun.

Quote from: SM on Feb 06, 2013, 11:01:09 PM
QuoteI am not giving them a pass but I am not gonna cry about the amount of cryo tubes either.

Who's crying?

But hey, it's easier to resort to the lazy default of 'haters gonna hate', isn't it?

Quotebut to say that all it is is nitpicking for the for the sake of nitpicking - you're f**king damn right, because Gearbox blew their load the moment they touched the license

Precisement.

No one, I said I wasn't gonna cry.

SM

Neither is anyone else.

I've only played a bit of the marine campiagn on AvP, but I dig it so far.

PRI. HUDSON

Quote from: SM on Feb 07, 2013, 04:31:36 AM
Neither is anyone else.

I've only played a bit of the marine campiagn on AvP, but I dig it so far.

AVP 2010 was not an AWFUL game but it was not a GOOD one either. I think the game probably looked better and played better on PC. On Xbox it was not polished and it was VERY dark. I felt like the PC to console transition did not go over well.

SM

The darkness on Xbox makes it rather hard - but I like that the Aliens are hard to kill.

ShadowPred

Quote from: SM on Feb 07, 2013, 04:48:22 AM
but I like that the Aliens are hard to kill.

This just confirms that I must have gotten a very defective copy of the game. In my playthroughs the Aliens were literally falling into single file lines in order to be killed...among other things that ruined the experience for me.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed