New interview with Jon Spaihts on the writing of PROMETHEUS

Started by Cvalda, Apr 10, 2012, 12:47:23 AM

Author
New interview with Jon Spaihts on the writing of PROMETHEUS (Read 5,985 times)

Cvalda

From Collider:
http://collider.com/jon-spaihts-prometheus-world-war-robot-interview/157982/

QuoteSPAIHTS:  I wrote the first draft of that screenplay in three and a half weeks, which is a personal record.  And then, I was just in the shoot with Ridley for awhile.  I would write a draft, and then I would sit in the room with Ridley Scott and his two lieutenants, at that time, and we would talk about the story for weeks at a time.  Ridley was tireless and constantly drawing.  He has a fierce visual imagination, and was constantly throwing curve balls at the story that I would then need to adjust to the logic of my universe.  We worked through five drafts like that, over many months.

Interesting article. He goes on at length about how PROMETHEUS relates to the ALIEN series canon and Lindelof's revisions as well.

ThisBethesdaSea

First Blood

I like that he mentions how Ridley gets into it with his drawing board and concept sketches. Those are something I would certainly love to see one day. Maybe they'll be nice and put them on the Prometheus Blu-ray. 

Kol

Quote from: Cvalda on Apr 10, 2012, 12:47:23 AM
From Collider:
http://collider.com/jon-spaihts-prometheus-world-war-robot-interview/157982/

QuoteSPAIHTS:  I wrote the first draft of that screenplay in three and a half weeks, which is a personal record.  And then, I was just in the shoot with Ridley for awhile.  I would write a draft, and then I would sit in the room with Ridley Scott and his two lieutenants, at that time, and we would talk about the story for weeks at a time.  Ridley was tireless and constantly drawing.  He has a fierce visual imagination, and was constantly throwing curve balls at the story that I would then need to adjust to the logic of my universe.  We worked through five drafts like that, over many months.

Interesting article. He goes on at length about how PROMETHEUS relates to the ALIEN series canon and Lindelof's revisions as well.

i just read the whole thing and i'm gladly surprised, that he remained as the owner of prometheus script.
so he came up with the idea of the ancient astronauts in the script.

sure he took some influence of his sci-fi books.

bioweapon

i like more this interview than the Lindelof ones. besides what trailers can tell, it makes me wonder we dont know a s**t about this film.

is funny how Spahits mention about real fans and cannon. im sure he already checks this forum

OpenMaw

Quote from: Cvalda on Apr 10, 2012, 05:27:53 AM
Dear mods: I take no responsibility for the replies in this thread. :P

Yeah. You know you did it, and you liked it.

Part of me is quite glad to hear Jon Spaihts still considers it his script/story to an extent. Not for the "OH MY GOD ALIEMS" reason a lot of people might hold. Just from a writers perspective. It means the heart of it is still pretty much what he invested himself into.

shamash

seen this posted over at imdb by jonesycatpants, is it ok if i post it in here?

http://ieeetv.ieee.org/ieeetv-specials/engineering-the-future-jon-spaihts-opening-remarks

ChrisPachi

Thanks Cvalda, that was a really interesting read. Spaihts comes across as very measured, intelligent and well read in science fiction (at least according to his good self). He also portrays a good understanding of the fans, the established canon and how important it is to them, which is nice. A good head on his shoulders, which makes me a bit less worried that this film will go the way of the woo hoo.

sedna

Spaihts has always been the original creator of Prometheus, he's been overshadowed by Lindelof for the past year, and he himself wasn't too happy with it. He really deserves all the promotion and the correct credit. I read his scripts, Passengers, Shadow 19, and his draft for The Darkest Hour (which the film mangled)

He's a smart man, he has a degree from Princeton and has written a few textbooks on Biology. You can tell his experience and passion lies in sci-fi, biology, engineering and Lindelof got all the credit but it was obvious he wasnt the dude that came up with most of the ideas.

Deuterium

Yes, thanks Cvalda.  I agree with ChrisP, Spaihts seems like a very down to earth guy...which is refreshing in an industry rife with over-inflated egos.  I wish I could say I enjoyed his "Passengers" script.  "Shadow 19" is pretty good, but (as I have mentioned previously), it's story is very similar to Algis Budry's "Rogue Moon".  Maybe it is just coincidence...I mean, it happens.  In any event, "Shadow 19" is the better of the two scripts.  I look forward to his future efforts.

Kol

Quote from: sedna on Apr 11, 2012, 03:55:53 AM
Spaihts has always been the original creator of Prometheus, he's been overshadowed by Lindelof for the past year, and he himself wasn't too happy with it. He really deserves all the promotion and the correct credit. I read his scripts, Passengers, Shadow 19, and his draft for The Darkest Hour (which the film mangled)

He's a smart man, he has a degree from Princeton and has written a few textbooks on Biology. You can tell his experience and passion lies in sci-fi, biology, engineering and Lindelof got all the credit but it was obvious he wasnt the dude that came up with most of the ideas.

yeah, the reason probably is coz lindelof has got "the name".
but i hope we will see more of spaihts on the blu-ray extras instead of lindelof.  ::)

i wouldn't mind a Q & A with spaihts, too.
he said that after the movie he will be more "available" for intervews & stuff.

sedna

Quote from: Kol on Apr 11, 2012, 11:45:22 AM
Quote from: sedna on Apr 11, 2012, 03:55:53 AM

yeah, the reason probably is coz lindelof has got "the name".

Well that goes without saying.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed