PredAlien Design Book

Started by Corporal Hicks, Aug 04, 2020, 09:34:43 AM

Author
PredAlien Design Book (Read 11,177 times)

426Buddy

426Buddy

Just another way for predators to diminish the Alien even more.

The alien is supposed to be the perfect organism but you throw preds in the mix and that goes right out the window. I like the concept of AvP because I like both franchises but the alien almost always gets the shaft when it comes this crossover.

We should have had big chap talking and using computers and look more human then. Oh I forgot the predators have "dominant DNA". Excuse me, my eyes just rolled right out of my head.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Aug 05, 2020, 02:49:17 PM
I'm very much against it using tools but a missed opportunity is the Predalien attempting vocal mimicry. That's something which can either be really scary for the Humans or get the drop on the Predator. Like that could be a whole sequence and it kind of sucks they didn't do anything with that.

I like the sound of it !

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 05, 2020, 12:19:14 PM
Would I want to see it go as far as the Aliens using tools? I'm genuinely not sure.

Well, that's the difference of how far you wanna go with the concept. For me "going too far" is Predalien using cloaking device or shoulder cannon. But sticks and rocks ? I'm good with it

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 05, 2020, 12:19:14 PM
I think the fan theory that Big Chap inherited some attraction to Lambert as an explanation for the "rape" to be intriguing.

I always found that a fascinating angle to take as well.

Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 05, 2020, 02:56:47 PM
The alien is supposed to be the perfect organism.

Hopefully I won't be running from torches and pitchforks after this one, but I always took this "perfect organism" Alien 1979 label as a wee bit of hyperbole. For example, how perfect can an organism be when it relies on other organisms to reproduce. 

*hides and takes cover*

426Buddy

426Buddy

Doesn't change the fact that they have taken something that was intended to be Alien, Unknowable, incredibly strong, and such a threat that it could wipe out humanity and turned it into a punching bag for the predators to look good against. Not only that but over time the predator keeps being gifted with new abilities to one up the Alien, like acid resistant blood and dominant DNA.

I'm of two minds on this, there is a rule of cool factor regarding AvP that is hard to resist. Sometimes they portray the Alien as able to hold its own but by and large they are just bug fodder for the hunters. The match-up does not benefit the Alien or the Alien franchise in any way. It perhaps even contributes to the idea that the beast is cooked.

SiL

SiL

The PredAlien doesn't need any special, wild abilities to stand out or be a boss fight. Grid could've been a satisfying boss fight and his distinguishing feature was "waffle pattern".

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 05, 2020, 09:00:35 PM
Doesn't change the fact that they have taken something that was intended to be Alien, Unknowable, incredibly strong, and such a threat that it could wipe out humanity and turned it into a punching bag for the predators to look good against. Not only that but over time the predator keeps being gifted with new abilities to one up the Alien, like acid resistant blood and dominant DNA.

Well unless you're dealing with a blue-collar crew of a commercial towing spaceship, or you have a plot device like a maximum security prison with an honor system, the Alien's strength is not as much individual, but in their numbers, when you dealing with battle-tested Colonial Marines or Predators right?

QuoteI'm of two minds on this, there is a rule of cool factor regarding AvP that is hard to resist. Sometimes they portray the Alien as able to hold its own but by and large they are just bug fodder for the hunters. The match-up does not benefit the Alien or the Alien franchise in any way. It perhaps even contributes to the idea that the beast is cooked.

Not that I agree with this, but from that perspective you could equally blame Aliens for that too.

SiL

SiL

Why would Predators bother hunting Aliens if the Alien's only strength against them was in numbers?

Aliens are powerful, sneaky hunters on their lonesome.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Going up against bullets is one thing, bladed weapons and martial arts is another. I dont have a problem with relying on ranged weaponry.

Also the creatures in Aliens were still portrayed as intelligent and deadly. They were not really fodder in the film, more so in the EU explosion that followed Aliens.

None of that really rises to the level of subjugation the predator holds of the Alien in most stories.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Aug 05, 2020, 09:32:20 PM
Why would Predators bother hunting Aliens if the Alien's only strength against them was in numbers?

Hence fighting with spears, swords, guantlet blades. Single shot projectiles. Make it challenging.

Bear hunters don't go bear hunting with automatic weapons. #NoSport.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Not to be a downer as I'm an AvP fan too, just in a mood today for some reason.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 05, 2020, 09:50:27 PM

No worries.. I've been there!  :)

But even though I feel their strength is in their numbers, I also agree with you that there should be limits, and imagine most of us never want this gif to encapsulate AvP:

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

While I think the original AvP does a fair job at handling the actual species traits of the AvP fight, I do think it still needs to go further. Same for a lot of the EU. The Alien generally gets shafted when it comes to the conflict (to be fair the Aliens pure is guilty of it too). The Predators shouldn't want to engage the Aliens at proper close quarters. They shouldn't survive it. It should be about keeping the Aliens are some degree of range (combi-stick range, perhaps?) so that they don't get sprayed by acid, or playing it smart, not just brawling. The Aliens should be trying to be stealthy (like Grid when he took out Chopper, or attempted to pounce on Celtic before the netgun) so they can close that range.

skhellter

skhellter

Yet to see a single good Predalien design.

Lots of talented people at ADI but these concepts..... off the mark.

Predalien should look as if Giger himself designed it. All these Predalien designs look like something out of a Spawn comic book.

Take Big Chap, make it taller, add the predator mandibles then play around with the overall silhouette (the back pipes, the shape of the head should be different..) Predators don't have lips so the Predalien shouldn't have lips like Big Chap, etc...
And no dreadlocks.  >:(

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 05, 2020, 10:00:33 PM
Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 05, 2020, 09:50:27 PM

No worries.. I've been there!  :)

But even though I feel their strength is in their numbers, I also agree with you that there should be limits, and imagine most of us never want this gif to encapsulate AvP:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/GentleJaggedFlea-size_restricted.gif
I promise you, this fight lasted exactly as the scene did, a few seconds.

As for the Predalien design, I always hated how much muscle/flesh bits with the addition of Predator skin coloring they added to the design like in AVPR. While not perfect, the design of the AVP2010 Predalien is a step in the right direction, visible size and power but in line of the biomechanical concept that Giger laid out for the world and visual storytelling of the Alien DNA being dominant over the host DNA, using traits that would allow it to adapt to fighting the host's species. The Dorman design is also a great vision of the creature.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Yeah, in regards to my Chet love and the subsequent beatings I take, I'm definitely in the minority. :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed